navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #3 » The Struggle
Teen Poetry #3
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Struggle Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
peanogrl83
since 1999-12-04
Posts 202

0 posted 2000-06-18 11:18 PM

Okay, indeed, it's an odd (and rather political) topic for this forum, I know... lol, but hey, I tend to write about what's on my mind, and considering that can be any number of odd things..... lol
                                                Vreni

The Struggle

Silently, defiantly, she lifts her veil
Protesting oppression to no avail.
Quickly and deftly they pummel and pound
Losing consciousness, she falls to the ground.
Laughing now, a crowd gathers about
Taunting, heckling they clamor and shout
Kicking her down, they brand her a fool
How could she defy the Taliban's rule?
She is but one, alone, a frail little girl
In the cross-winds of fire, where desire swirls
Her hunger is compounded by lack of choice
That which can be sated by obtaining a voice.
Forced to rebel, she does what she can
How easy it would be if she was but a man.
The throng has left her in the street to die
In a pool of hate-tinged blood she insipidly lies
She weakly rolls over, crawls to her knees
Revenge and abhorrence her beaten spirit seize
Raising a red fist high above her head
She vows to keep fighting until she is dead.

© Copyright 2000 peanogrl83 - All Rights Reserved
Ethan Halo
since 2000-04-28
Posts 793
on the roof again
1 posted 2000-06-19 03:32 AM

a good message. fight the good fight, any way you can. and i didn't think it an odd one at all. =)

We all got somethin' we need to atone for.

Crystalina123
since 2000-01-31
Posts 228

2 posted 2000-06-19 08:52 AM

Kind of reminds me about the struggle going on between the political factions in Africa. I liked this poem as well as the rhyme scheme. It tells the reader to keep fighting no matter what, a good message we all should listen to.

Love,
Crystal

Maybe God has us meet a few wrong people so that when we meet the right one we can truly appreciate the gift.

peanogrl83
since 1999-12-04
Posts 202

3 posted 2000-06-19 06:16 PM

Ethan - thanks for the compliments! lol Well, I don't think it's odd myself, but considering the number of times I'm told that my work is so, I decided to include a disclaimer. lol

Crystal - thanks for replying! Indeed, I wrote this for any and every female who is oppressed world-wide ....in particular, those under the Taliban's rule.

Novacaine For The Soul
since 2000-05-26
Posts 122
New Orleans
4 posted 2000-06-19 06:53 PM

dear peanogrl,
     this is awesome... frankly, i've been hoping for more poems about something other than teenage love in this forum... it's good to hear from someone else who occassionally thinks beyond the problems of our particular age-group... i think i would have appreciated a bit more detail about the beating or some background about WHY she was being beaten (other than the fact that she was a woman in a male-dominated society -- middle eastern or south-asian, i was assuming?) and what it was she was fighting for... but then, i'm big on narrative poetry, so that may not fit your style... perhaps you were searching for more of a parable... either way... good work...

sincerely,
a sad tomato

you're such a beautiful freak... i wish there were more just like you...

peanogrl83
since 1999-12-04
Posts 202

5 posted 2000-06-19 11:11 PM

Novicaine,
  thanks for the compliments! Indeed, I tend to write a lot about political topics, but just generally don't post it here.  Lol, well, I guess I was kind of vague  - it does indeed serve as somewhat of a parable - but it is literal, too. If you read the first line, her lifting her veil, (required by the Islamic religion, and punishable by death by the militant Taliban government that now rules Afghanistan)  Indeed, that is what the poem is about - several years ago, the Taliban marched into Afghanistan, and declared extreme Muslim rule - women had their jobs taken away, were required to wear veils at all time, and if seen outside the home w/out an male accompanying them, they were liable to be beaten and thrown in prison.  Many had their jobs taken away from them, and were forced to retire to the dark recesses of their homes.  They are little more than animals, and males can murder them or do as they please without punishment.  Many times, the women are unable to access proper health care due to the constrictions that prevent them from seeing a doctor. (a male cannot see them without all of their garments on, and since the female doctors have all be "relieved' of their jobs, this makes it nearly impossible) Now that I have said my spiel, lol..... Back to the poem - indeed, she is being beaten for lifting her veil and being in public alone, and is obviously punished for it....I just wanted to portray the valiant nature and hardships some of these women must go through in order to protest, in any way they can, the Taliban's rule.

Novacaine For The Soul
since 2000-05-26
Posts 122
New Orleans
6 posted 2000-06-20 12:46 PM

dear peanogrl,

ahh, i see now... i understood the islamic tradition of having women covered with a veil and due to this understanding it seems i read that action at the beginning of the poem as an act of FURTHER defiance in the face of her accussers, not as THE act of defiance that led to the beating... perhaps i should re-read something next time and look at it from a different perspective before i go shooting my idiot mouth off *hehe*... anyway... great piece and i'll be looking for more of this nature by you in the future...

sincerely,
a sad tomato

you're such a beautiful freak... i wish there were more just like you...

Artic Wind
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 8080
Realm of Supernatural
7 posted 2007-11-17 02:01 PM

Enjoyed

ARCTIC WIND

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #3 » The Struggle

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary