navwin » Archives » Voices on the Web » Soldier of Misfortune
Voices on the Web
Post A Reply Post New Topic Soldier of Misfortune Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Geoffrey Sonnen
since 2000-07-05
Posts 142
Reading, PA USA

0 posted 2000-07-11 08:09 PM

Soldier Of Misfortune

Soldier of Misfortune
laying Life upon the line
Searching for Survival
within the perimeters of Time that's slipping
Falling from the ranks and wounded
Never winning war
Between Victory and victim
lies the undetermined score

Converging on Chance
opportunity and Fate
Wrong place, right time
Legacies of Hate

Soldier of Misfortune
Battle ravaged Land
Broken Sword Survival
Shield upon the sand that's slipping
fallen from my hand that's bleeding
All has come apart
Between Victory and victim
lies the One that was my Heart

© Copyright 2000 Geoffrey Sonnen - All Rights Reserved
epoet
since 2000-05-11
Posts 291
grand rapid,MI, usa
1 posted 2000-07-11 09:36 PM

thank you for writing such a great tribute to those who have died for what they believe in.  this hits home as I am a vet and I lost friends during saudi.  I appreciate the sentiments behind this wonderful poem.  keep up the wonderful work and imagery that is shown here and I think you will see many responses.

P. J. Kotrch
carpe diem
A soul once touched is a soul once blessed by love

MagnoliaBlue
since 2000-05-12
Posts 367

2 posted 2000-07-11 09:37 PM

I enjoy reading you!  

MagnoliaBlue

~My Skipper Jim
I love you!
Your Lady June~

Dark Angel
Member Patricius
since 1999-08-04
Posts 10095

3 posted 2000-07-11 09:50 PM

Geoffrey, this is great!! Your writing is amazing, I know what  you are saying here my friend  

The search for survival is always found dear.

Loved it! you have my vote  

Jamie
Member Elite
since 2000-06-26
Posts 3168
Blue Heaven
4 posted 2000-07-11 09:55 PM

Nice work. Perspectives alter opinion, opinions lead to conflict. This one seems to be one of the victims of it.

Jamie

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito. - Virgil.
"Yield thou not to adversity, but press on the more bravely".

Geoffrey Sonnen
since 2000-07-05
Posts 142
Reading, PA USA
5 posted 2000-07-12 12:19 PM

Thank you my Dark Angel, thank you Jamie. I'm still here. It's my "Day" you know. Not easy at all. He came yesterday, left work even while he was in the midst of a project (automotives) while the last of my furniture went off to the auction house. You know, he still cares. He had red, teary eyes and is distraught over what decisions I am making. Didn't know what the day would bring today, still don't. Thank you Maree for your card. You are very thoughtful and am truly moved by your empathy and concern. Thank you Jamie, you always have very insightful words of comfort and otherwise.
Geoffrey Sonnen
since 2000-07-05
Posts 142
Reading, PA USA
6 posted 2000-07-12 12:41 PM

Thank you MagnoliaBlue and epoet. I am moved by your observations, epoet, it's funny, I was with my Love to visit Gettysburg, PA last year. Recently and very frequently, I thought of all those who died for what they believed in, for their Love. I was writing in reference to myself...very battle-worn due to situations that deal with the Heart, in reference to a relationship. But yes, how True it is that whether it is fighting for the country you Love, even dying for it, or it is the fight for the Love, the One who shared your Life, even dying for that Love. Is there a difference ? I feel that war is senseless and horrible, but when there is a need to hold, to protect, to honour, to Love, you are willing to do anything. And when you lose what or who you Love during the course of the "Battle" ( Life itself is a battle), nothing compares to the pain of that loss. Dan Fogelberg wrote, " Are the spoils worth the cost of the Heart ?". Only we ourselves Know what is worth the cost, the cost of our Hearts, the cost of our very lives.
Sudhir Iyer
Member Ascendant
since 2000-04-26
Posts 6943
Mumbai, India : now in Belgium
7 posted 2000-07-12 01:21 PM

Without spending too many words, let me just say that this is excellent poetry, Geoffrey...

Many regards,
sudhir.

Death, be not proud, though some have called thee,
Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so;

- John Donne

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Voices on the Web » Soldier of Misfortune

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary