navwin » Main Forums » English Workshop » Poesy
English Workshop
Post A Reply Post New Topic Poesy Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada

0 posted 2008-05-20 02:43 PM

How come no one says poesy anymore?

© Copyright 2008 Essorant - All Rights Reserved
Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

1 posted 2008-05-20 04:29 PM

Dear Essorant,

Too soft in the middle, not enough crunch on the outside?  Too much hissing?  Too Pre-Raphaelite ?  We have such a cult of the macho in writing today, the word doesn't sound macho enough; it doesn't seem ready to get into a bar fight at the drop of a hat?  It doesn't hate women?

What do you think?

BobK.

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
2 posted 2008-05-21 01:53 AM

I don't know.  Maybe it is just forgetfulness.  People forgot the word and just need to be reminded of it again.  If they see it and hear it more again, then perhaps they will use it again too.  It is interesting to note the etymology of the two words poesy and poetry.  The word poesy goes back to the Greek word ποιησις [poiesis] "a making, a creation (of anything); poesy"  But poetry on the other goes back to the word ποιητρια [poietria], that instead of "poetry", was originally the word for "poetess".    I wonder when and how this word for "poetess" eventually came to be used as the main word for "poetry"?

chopsticks
since 2007-10-02
Posts 888
The US,
3 posted 2008-05-21 08:27 AM

“ How come no one says poesy anymore? “

Essorant, I am no sure , but I think it has something to do with the bubonic plague.

But BobK’s reasoning is more  invigorating .

[This message has been edited by chopsticks (05-21-2008 10:43 AM).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » English Workshop » Poesy

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary