navwin » Main Forums » English Workshop » Simple Poetry Question
English Workshop
Post A Reply Post New Topic Simple Poetry Question Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Devious Intellectual
since 2006-05-08
Posts 112

0 posted 2006-05-08 07:35 PM

Ok i never have taken poetry classes i recently became interested in rhyming with complexity so i decided to write poetry

question
Do you have to match the syllable in each line?
if not is it better to?

What other types of forms is poetry written in?
like i write in the abab form, i see some people do not write but isnt this not as fun to read then and doesnt show as much skill?

© Copyright 2006 Paul - All Rights Reserved
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
1 posted 2006-05-08 08:44 PM

Personally, I agree with you.  Poetry to me is structured... but in a way that flows easily to the ear.

There are many formats to follow - sonnet, villanelle, pantoum, (all covered at length in the Poetry Workshop).. Tanka, haiku, clerihew - just to name a few..  

Welcome to PiP, by the way..

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
2 posted 2006-05-08 10:10 PM

Dear DI...

I had never taken poetry classes either; but I heard and felt poetry for the longest time within me; I have had some wonderful critique by many here...so be welcomed, be assured, look around and have a great time.

Welcome to Passions!

InvertedKnave
since 2006-06-24
Posts 15
Michigan, US
3 posted 2006-06-25 07:41 AM

I see rhyming as not being that much of a "need" in Poetry. I've read many that did not rhyme and they were divine.

I see Poetry as needing "natural-flow" rather than rhymes.

To me as a writer, and for me as a reader...I look for the natural act of downloading ones feelings, thoughts, sights, etc., rather than looking to make sure the words rhyme. But then again I do not support the grammer police either, so its your call, that was just my crow/reply.

To sum it up; I look at Poetry as the most natural and substance free process of writing. You can write of anything, on any grounds and as long as it is "natural" it can be percieved well.

Quite a while ago I asked myself two questions; Why do I write? And....How do I write?

I write because I have to. These words start forming on my soul and I release them. I also write as a means of sorting my thoughts, as well as a release.

The how is the odd part. I am very much so a natural writer. In saying that, I mean that I do not sit over a keyboard and think. Most of my Poetry writings are done in 5-10 minutes. I feel as if I'm just a tool in the process, just a funnel. I sit and the words rip through me and into my finger tips to be typed. Its that simple, and that natural.

If I were to worry about outside forces, one being rhyming; it would take away from my reason for writing and my method of writing. Different things work for different people. Perhaps you should ask yourself the two questions that I asked myself and go from there.  

Internalexile
since 2006-06-15
Posts 38
UK
4 posted 2006-07-01 04:34 AM

With the poetry I write I do not allways have the time to rhyme, as I just spew words and if I don't write them down I forget. Occasionally I will sit and really think about rhyme, but this takes me far longer and so the poem is not my thoughts or feelings at that particulor time.

Both are good, I suppose its really down to how you feel at the time and which you prefer!

Have fun with whichever

Internalexile

Let the moonlight paint your face, let the stars be your cloak...

pen&paper
since 2006-06-06
Posts 513

5 posted 2006-08-27 06:07 PM

in poetry you have complete freedom. you don't have to rhyme, use correct punctuation, or use capital or lowercase letters if you don't want to.
MukkaKukka
since 2006-09-18
Posts 88
Finland
6 posted 2006-09-24 10:00 PM

You know, since you have to ask

Its psychomotorics for the most part.

You can never teach how to write, for the simple reason that you can`t teach the way to experience.

[This message has been edited by Ron (09-25-2006 07:14 AM).]

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
7 posted 2006-09-25 07:16 AM

Then why do you, as an individual, want others to critique your work? By your own theory, you're as good a poet now as you're ever going to be.
ChristianSpeaks
since 2006-05-18
Posts 396
Iowa, USA
8 posted 2006-10-26 06:48 PM

Ron-

You're smart.

CS

Beatrice Boyle
since 2006-12-06
Posts 438

9 posted 2006-12-07 08:08 PM

My natural inclination on writing poetry is in rhyming...that is how my thoughts present themselves.  That is not to say I do not appreciate prose...which I have done from time to time. (depending on my muse!)

Having said that...there is nothing more irritaing to the ear...as well as the eye... than rhyming which is off meter.  Totally puts me off, and is the sign of a writer (notice I did not say poet) who is careless and not really into the art of poetry itself...only into releasing his thoughts on paper for all to read.

Better that they stick to prose...but there again, there are rules for that also.

Just my two cents on the subject.

Grandma Bea

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
10 posted 2006-12-08 11:05 AM

"Having said that...there is nothing more irritaing to the ear...as well as the eye... than rhyming which is off meter."

I agree.

It is rather annoying as well when people use "..." where commata or semicola belong.

Beatrice Boyle
since 2006-12-06
Posts 438

11 posted 2006-12-08 04:33 PM

Touche` my friend.  

That's IS one of my irritating habits I must admit, drama queen that I am! I am also addicted to !!!!! as you will see.

Bea

Grandma Bea

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » English Workshop » Simple Poetry Question

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary