navwin » Main Forums » English Workshop » Sarcasm
English Workshop
Post A Reply Post New Topic Sarcasm Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
IcyFlamez89
since 2003-02-14
Posts 292
Jersey City NJ

0 posted 2003-04-09 09:55 PM

It's my nature to just blab out unwanted retorts and tons of sarcasm. I find it better than cursin because I can actually use a wider (and more acceptable) range of vocabulary. Yet sometimes a fast tongue can lead to trouble, and I've gotten my fair share of that. What I don't understand is how some get even more angry at my wiity remarks than when I go and curse them out. Wasup with dat?

© Copyright 2003 George Salazar - All Rights Reserved
Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
1 posted 2003-04-10 12:52 PM

Why not speak your thoughts straight and respectfully instead of using sarcasm or curses?  

What is the virtue of either?

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
2 posted 2003-04-10 12:57 PM

Well it seems I had that same tongue when I was a teenager. I have come to conlcude that sarcasm is disguised anger. Not all that well disguised I might add. So I stopped using it almost entirely.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

IcyFlamez89
since 2003-02-14
Posts 292
Jersey City NJ
3 posted 2003-04-12 01:21 AM

Of course it's disguised anger. It's hard goin through one day here w/o cuttin sumbody up. We all jus punks I gess. Say "Ur mother" and dey think it's funny. Say "You're so smart" and you get pulverized.
lucky
since 2000-01-17
Posts 1601
Idaho
4 posted 2003-04-13 09:50 PM

I'll bite

Ice... I think people prefer consistency in most cases but as far as cussed out versus a wiity put-down; you might have to deal with what side of the bed they got up on, on a particular day. Or it may be the wrong time of month to say "sush & such" to HER at all because the first week of every month she's going to bite your head off.

Essorant, I'd like to agree with you but with the assortment of poets here at the forums even the one's that desire critique have gotten very choosy as to the kind of critique they're wishing which makes it very hard. I like the way Doreen Peri put it years back "Critique Message: I really don't want to be rewritten, but I would like to hear what you got out of my work, what impressions it left you, which lines/images worked best, & feelings on what I'm trying to say." But I agree totally with your statement "What is the virtue of either?" Some years back a housewife said to me (can't remember what it was about but it stuck) "Why waste your breath" I've carried it with me ever since.

Larry, bravo..! a wise move. From a Christain aspect... I try to envision Christ telling the mountain he wanted to move, to "get the hell out of my way."

And Ice... don't you think people will see through the disguise and be even more angry. Of course, if you saw through their disguise that of course would make it different and your already to bite... Or am I missin' the picture. I was here back in the beginning and passion's has seen many changes since then. I can tell you from experience, many of those changes came about because someone wanted to cut someone else up. If your as smart as you sound YOU won't get pulverized - especially by the wrong people. (Such as Ron) If you feel a need to fight hit a local bar.

just my two cents, lucky dale

[This message has been edited by lucky (04-13-2003 09:54 PM).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » English Workshop » Sarcasm

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary