navwin » Main Forums » English Workshop » The Usage of "Americans"
English Workshop
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Usage of "Americans" Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada

0 posted 2003-04-08 11:36 PM

Why are we so fond to clepe people of the United States "Americans" They aren't the only Americans--all the rest of America are Americans too! We have given and they have taken over the name "American" and now all the world thinks in terms of United States when they think of America...I think that is ridiculous.  
All in America stand for America not just United states...why don't we call them by their party name like other countiries are most often--that they are "american" is a given but not for the rest of america any more...perhaps they could be called Unitedstatesfolk, Unitedstatesmen, or Unitedstatespeople.

[This message has been edited by Essorant (04-08-2003 11:38 PM).]

© Copyright 2003 Essorant - All Rights Reserved
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
1 posted 2003-04-09 08:05 AM

I personally consider myself to be a North American - just as you are... Our hemisphere is also replete with lots of Central and South Americans, isn't it?
Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
2 posted 2003-04-09 12:20 PM

Absolutly; but I just think it is too much of a generalization to call people of United States "Americans" as casually as people of Canada are called canadians or Brazil Brazilians.  We are all native to America by our births in whatsoever deal of it--none of us are more or less American than any other person born here...No certain people are called Europeans in Europe as a name for a specific countrypeople--it is just a generalization for people of Europe, the continent--thus it should be of people in America.  United States should have a name for its country people that distinguishes them by their own country..."Americans" doesn't!  

[This message has been edited by Essorant (04-09-2003 12:32 PM).]

Sudhir Iyer
Member Ascendant
since 2000-04-26
Posts 6943
Mumbai, India : now in Belgium
3 posted 2003-04-09 12:40 PM

I understand the flaw... but then most people probably use America for USA and Americans for its citizens since the complete name of the country is United States of America ...  I don't think anybody means any harm in that, and most educated people that I've met know that America is a continent with North, Central and South regions

to expand more about the name "United States of America" --- it perhaps sends the signal that this covers all of America (being derived from the words: united states)

Well, Great Britain is often referred to as Britain... and hence the people are British; yet many people (particularly outside Great Britain or United Kingdom) refer to British as English!!! and I am sure the Welsh and the Scots (and Irish from N.I.) find it a bit irritating...

and people from former USSR were all called Russians...

Well, I am an Indian, but what about the original Indians who belong to the Americas... they are also Indians, right?

I don't think you should think too much about this... Pls. don't let these things bother you...

My regards,
Sudhir

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » English Workshop » The Usage of "Americans"

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary