navwin » Main Forums » English Workshop » Paradigm
English Workshop
Post A Reply Post New Topic Paradigm Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration

0 posted 2002-01-21 02:58 AM

http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=paradigm
quote:
Usage Note: Paradigm first appeared in English in the 15th century, meaning “an example or pattern,” and it still bears this meaning today: Their company is a paradigm of the small high-tech firms that have recently sprung up in this area. For nearly 400 years paradigm has also been applied to the patterns of inflections that are used to sort the verbs, nouns, and other parts of speech of a language into groups that are more easily studied. Since the 1960s, paradigm has been used in science to refer to a theoretical framework, as when Nobel Laureate David Baltimore cited the work of two colleagues that “really established a new paradigm for our understanding of the causation of cancer.” Thereafter, researchers in many different fields, including sociology and literary criticism, often saw themselves as working in or trying to break out of paradigms. Applications of the term in other contexts show that it can sometimes be used more loosely to mean “the prevailing view of things.” The Usage Panel splits down the middle on these nonscientific uses of paradigm. Fifty-two percent disapprove of the sentence The paradigm governing international competition and competitiveness has shifted dramatically in the last three decades.
Interesting. One of my favorite words! Thoughts?

C

© Copyright 2002 C.G. Ward - All Rights Reserved
Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

1 posted 2002-01-31 09:16 PM

Thoughts...

yeah yeah blah blah?

K

(ps - Look up androgynous, can you find a similar speil?...one of my favourite words...lots of multi-layered contexts over that one...)

Sudhir Iyer
Member Ascendant
since 2000-04-26
Posts 6943
Mumbai, India : now in Belgium
2 posted 2002-02-01 07:48 AM

thinking ... deep
thinking ... shallow

run silent ... run deep...
run shallow ... run steep ...

well it is an interesting 'paradigm'indeed...

taking about favourite words,
many people love the word "Money"... but never seem to have enough of it...

more interesting?

maybe!!!

Regards,
sudhir

Jamie
Member Elite
since 2000-06-26
Posts 3168
Blue Heaven
3 posted 2002-02-01 07:02 PM

But..........

There is society where none intrudes, by the deep sea, and music in its roar.
byron

poohbear19
since 2003-02-02
Posts 94
Colorado, USA
4 posted 2003-02-03 07:29 PM

Paradigms are cool! I am an assistant for a 9th grade english class at my school and they did paradigms I thought it was a fun lesson but they didn't like it....I don't think anyways.

Andrea

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » English Workshop » Paradigm

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary