navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #6 » ~The Other Man In My Life~
Open Poetry #6
Post A Reply Post New Topic ~The Other Man In My Life~ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

0 posted 2000-04-14 04:12 PM

For nearly fourteen years now ... you've been the other man in my life,
You've comforted and loved me, made me smile, eased my strife.
My constant companion, my sweet "Tuna Man"...
you stayed with me always, even as others ran.
All the simple pleasures, together we have found,
the hours you spent on my lap, purring , sleeping sound.
Laying on my feet or beside me on my pillow each night,
our favorite ritual, sharing a sunbeam in the afternoon, while I read or write.
Sweet memories of the treasured times we've spent ...
looking back now, I don't know where all the years have went.
Growing up along side the kids ... how they adore you ...
now they too realize...its almost time,
letting you go will not be easy for them to do.
You are the one true soul who has ever loved me unconditionally ...
and now the time has come for me to give back ... what you gave me.
Like time, you are passing on quietly ... right before my eyes,
and when you go ... a little piece of me too, tearfully dies.
The vet says your not in pain, yet in a slow decline,
but now as you look up at me ... your eyes speak and define.
For the moment you hold on and ask for a little more time,
and I wish to express my love in this simple rhyme.
I want to thank you while there is still light,
and we all hold you close, hoping for one more night.
I see in your kind green eyes, your suns are setting slow...
I love you my little gray man ... but its time to let you go.

Janet Marie

For Casper, my sweet tuna man.
thank you for sharing your sunbeams with me.

© Copyright 2000 Janet Marie - All Rights Reserved
Jeffrey Carter
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-04-08
Posts 2367
State of constant confusion!
1 posted 2000-04-14 04:17 PM

Touching Janet...so sweet this tribute

Jeffrey

Aimster
Member Elite
since 2000-02-19
Posts 4297
Charlotte, NC
2 posted 2000-04-14 05:53 PM

-Jan

This was well it got the tears to flow, thats for sure! You touched many a heart I am sure with this one. I have six dogs and a cat. Yes my family is quite the animal lovers. two of those dogs...are very old. brandy is a chocolate lab, she is 13 and wendy is a black lab..she is 15. i have had them since i was a little girl. both of them are close to going i think. thank you for writing this poem. it helped me and i hope it helped you as well. take care

love ya,
amy

~Live today as though it were your last but prepare for tomorrow as though it were here~

Marina
Member Elite
since 2000-02-10
Posts 2245
Pickering, Ontario
3 posted 2000-04-14 06:04 PM

Jm, this was very well written.  This rings home to me.  I have 2 dogs and a cat.  They are known in my neighbourhood as "The Three Musketeers"  They are best friends. They eat, sleep and play together.  When the time comes to say goodbye, I don't know how I will do it. Pets are the best single investment someone can make.  They give back far more then they take.
A wonderful poem JM.

Marina

EagleOne
Member Elite
since 2000-03-07
Posts 2829
Between a laugh and a tear...
4 posted 2000-04-14 06:07 PM

I too felt the tears. It brought back memories from some years ago when we had to say goodbye to a wonderful creature who was so much a part of our family. I understand exactly your feelings here and I thankyou for sharing.

Not all those who wander are lost. ~J.R.R. Tolkien

SorrowsMystress
since 2000-04-01
Posts 178
I'm a wanderer, a nomad...I don't live in one particular area, Just wherever I end up.
5 posted 2000-04-14 06:12 PM

Not very often does a time come when I read something and automatically the tears come up and begin burning my cheeks. I loved this poem (loved is a complete understatement). I lost my cat Groucho a few years ago. I had him from the time I was about 3 until long after I had to move away from him.....When he was sick and dying (I was about 15 or so) I flew home just to see him. He was waiting by the door for me (as usual), and I walked in and held him....he died in my lap that night. He waited for me, just to say goodbye and to give me the last bit of the love he could give. I'm thankful for that. I miss him terribly, and although I've had many cats since then, none of them can top Groucho. He will always be my first and one and only true love....It is hard to let go of someone that means that much to you. But at least you know that you've always had good times and good memories, and that you gave them (and they gave you) unconditional love and a happy life.... A special kitty kiss goes out to casper....

"It was my love that did us both to death. " -Sylvia Plath

WhiteNite
since 2000-04-09
Posts 241
Montgomery, AL
6 posted 2000-04-14 06:27 PM

I think I'm going to spend a little time with the little lady in my life when I get home.  

Beautiful work... I'm sorry to hear your pain but you did express it very well.

{{{HUGS}}}< !signature-->

"The storm rises up when the shadows descend
every beat of my heart every day without end
I will stand like a rock I will bend till I break
till theres no more to give if thats what it takes
I will risk everything I will fight I will bleed
I will lay down my life if thats what you need
every second I live thats the promise I make"

I have no idea who wrote this... tell me if you know.  =)

[This message has been edited by WhiteNite (edited 04-14-2000).]

David2
since 2000-03-22
Posts 407

7 posted 2000-04-14 06:35 PM

Janet,
   Very touching, but how much better to live with such memories than to never have known such a beautiful pet. Nice work.
      David2

David2
since 2000-03-22
Posts 407

8 posted 2000-04-14 06:35 PM

Janet,
   Very touching, but how much better to live with such memories than to never have known such a beautiful pet. Nice work.
      David2

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
9 posted 2000-04-14 08:12 PM

A special bond and a special place always in your heart, this poem shows.
Lone Wolf
Member Ascendant
since 2000-03-16
Posts 5842
Lansing, MI USA
10 posted 2000-04-14 08:17 PM

JM,
This was a lovely and touching tribute to Casper.  You are very fortunate to have shared so many years together.  So sorry to hear that the time has come to say good-bye.  That is always the roughest part of life.  Hold on to those memories....they are to be treasured forever.  He is just too cute!!  Wonderful poem.  Take care.  
LW

Friends are friend forever if the Lord's the Lord of them and a friend will not say never cause the welcome will not end.
--Michael W. Smith

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
11 posted 2000-04-14 08:34 PM

Ok..I'm bawling! Are you happy now!?  This was the sweetest poem...it had me from the photo...you did such a good job...(where's the Kleenex?)
Sven
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA
12 posted 2000-04-15 08:05 PM

ohhhh.. .here deVine, have some of mine. . . *sniff*

Janet, this is just too sweet... I am so sorry that it had to end. . . but know that Casper will always be with you.. .in your heart. . .

*sigh*. . . *sniff*. . . deVine, don't use up all my tissue!!

------------------------------------------------------

That which gives light must endure burning
--Victor Frankl

tracie66
Member Elite
since 2000-01-18
Posts 4713
Australia
13 posted 2000-04-16 03:52 AM

Janet Marie~
What a beautiful dedication to your lovely cat. My beautiful boy is a grey persian type puss, he is nearly 14 yrs and I don't know what I'd do without him.
HUGS
Tracie~

Keep all the windows of your mind open
Anne Rooks

poetFemmeFatale
Member Elite
since 1999-07-25
Posts 2646
Arkansas
14 posted 2000-04-16 03:17 PM

OH man...Here I thought I was gonna get the REAL dirt on you, and you leading another life or something....and dang, all this did was make my eyes well up with big tears!     Who would have thought ?  LOL  Girl, this really is touching.  I don't have any pets, but reading this makes me want to go out and get one!  Something, anything!  LOL  Beautiful job here.
JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
15 posted 2000-04-16 05:18 PM

Lovely poem Janet...cats are way cool...seems like this special cat has given you lots of pleasure and always been there for you and you for him.    James
Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
16 posted 2001-04-24 07:15 AM

Just back for a visit JM ... I must have been too teary-eyed to leave you a note the first time I read this. Hugs to you again, for this warm and tender tribute to Casper. You've pulled on these heart strings yet again sweet gator-gal. This is so lovely, and filled with such incredible phrasing, really beautifully written. You know how much I love this don't you?  

Best wishes,
Luv Kit

suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
17 posted 2001-04-24 03:43 PM

In some ways, it doesn't seem as though anything could improve your wonderful poem or increase the emotion it holds... but reading it now after knowing that you said your goodbyes and eventually welcomed a pair of loving kittens into your home makes it even more special... for we go on and love others, but we never forget... they own a part of our heart forever. Beautiful!
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #6 » ~The Other Man In My Life~

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary