navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #6 » Was I?
Open Poetry #6
Post A Reply Post New Topic Was I? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Rosemary J. Gwaltney
since 1999-08-26
Posts 997
northern mountains, Idaho

0 posted 2000-04-10 03:57 AM

Nearly half a century ago
I was born with the right parts.
I was the girl my mother wanted.
~ ~ ~
Yet never good enough,
Never smart enough,
Never tidy enough,
Never a hard enough worker,
Never dutiful enough taking care of her.
~ ~ ~
Too noisy,
Too emotional,
Too quick to give up;
Too many needs of my own,
Too exploratory, too rambunctious.
~ ~ ~
Yes I was born with the right parts.
I was the girl my mother wanted.

[This message has been edited by Rosemary J. Gwaltney (edited 04-10-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 Rosemary J. Gwaltney - All Rights Reserved
Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
1 posted 2000-04-10 04:05 AM

I can relate to this one only too well.
I never was anything "good" to my mother but I'm sure I could tab a long list of what I wasn't that I should have been.

My empathies...

Michael

Meadowmuse
Member Elite
since 1999-12-27
Posts 3263

2 posted 2000-04-10 04:23 AM

Rosemary, what a heartfelt piece of writing...pure unfeigned emotion emanating from just a few matter ~ of ~ fact words. You've so aptly expressed frustration and feelings of futility here, and I can relate to both. Thank you.

~ Claire

lucky
since 2000-01-17
Posts 1601
Idaho
3 posted 2000-04-10 04:32 AM

“Persian Pussy,”

Well, this seems to be as close to that Persian fur ball I’ve been for a while. They say nothing is more determined than a Persian on one of her hot curiosity pursuits. You leap up in the semi-opened window of my heart where you force out a squeaky, barely audible mew. Then you sit there walleyed in the rain, watching eagerly, making sure you’ve got my attention tearing me from my private little sea of thought, not to mention the shrouded ones I should'nt ought thinking. But then, as I must take notice, you've put on one of them innocent poses and naturally I must get up and let your teary rain soaked tush in the sliding transparent glass window of my life. Of course, you don’t just bounce right in but must make a couple exotic glamour turns, maybe get your motor purring as you sashay around the perimeter of my room. Wherever there’s an open window, there’s your little squeaky meow. It strikes me funny. I wonder what you’re really doing because you know my door is always open. I like the fresh air. Howbeit you still want me to get up and come over and give you a personal invite. Ha! WHAT’S UP BABY BUB-BA? I hope you know, you’re not fooling me with any of that sexy innocent sashay aura of grace about you which ironically emerges as a sweet snowy blond feline longing for any and all of my hugs & kisses. By the way, did you know it works?

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
4 posted 2000-04-10 06:29 PM

Rosemary--very powerful and heartfelt poem...funny how that little girl still insists on traveling around with us after we are grown.  Hugs!  Lucky, quit playing with your err cat?
wayoutwalt
Member Elite
since 1999-06-22
Posts 4870
TEXAS (it's all big)
5 posted 2000-04-10 06:31 PM

i like this its deep o course ...lot said in the last stanza

All Day I Dream About Stanzas!!

Elizabeth Santos
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-11-08
Posts 9269
Pennsylvania
6 posted 2000-04-10 06:47 PM

This poem did say alot. And Martie's right. People continue to carry that baggage for the rest of their lives. It is sad to be demeaning to a child.
Very well presented, Rosemary
Liz

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #6 » Was I?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary