navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #6 » With Every Drop of Ink, (a repost, and a disertation)
Open Poetry #6
Post A Reply Post New Topic With Every Drop of Ink, (a repost, and a disertation) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
John Yaws
since 1999-10-09
Posts 860
Texas

0 posted 2000-03-18 10:49 PM

With Every Drop of Ink

Every drop of ink I use-
Is like a drop of blood…
A bit of essence of myself-
A seeming, endless flood.
Revealing secrets unconfessed-
Obligations yet unmet…
A glimpse into my inner parts…
Some don’t care, and most forget.
A glimpse of what I might have been-
And many things I never was..
And yet I write, and write again..
Oh, tell me.. is there not a cause?
A cause! Why yes! To carve our names
Like children do on restroom walls-
Desiring but to leave a trace…
In life… before the Shadow calls.
Yet I am less, the more I write…
With loss of essence, we all shrink…
As blood from wrists, which have been slashed
We die with every drop of ink.

“The gift, the gift; the gift ‘e gi’e us- to see oursel’s
as others see us”. Robbie Burns

I suppose that it begins in the womb; the desire to be seen, to be noticed. From that first infantile kick, to that last wheezing breath of old age, man’s one great goal in life is to be noticed. The foolish, dangerous, show-off stunts of youth, to the bull riders and stunt jumpers of our day: these are all an effort to overcome the most dread of all foes…anonymity.
Why do men climb mountains? The adage is, “Because it was there”. Perhaps in part, but why tell some one you did it, if you only did it because it was there? The same applies to web writing; if we only wrote to express ourselves, then a spiral notebook in the solitude of our homes would meet the need. Of course, we know better, we must be seen, must be heard, must be noticed. I like praise as well as the next man, but even when I don’t receive comments on my work I continue to post. Why? Because just like alley graffiti, merely knowing my scribble is there for someone to see, and maybe wonder about me, brings a measure of satisfaction. Just as the pioneers, who chiseled their names into Independence Rock, thought they’ve long been dust their names are still read, and wondered about.
I had just written what I deemed the “last” of a number of “Traveler’s Tales” and was sitting alone in my home in the wee hours of the morning. I was thinking to myself: “Why bother? It seems the more you write, the more trite your writing becomes. It is like commenting on poetry; there are only so many things that can be said, and only so many ways to say them
After a while, every thing becomes blasé’ and hollow sounding. The phrase always comes to mind, “To damn him with faint praise”.
After I had written “With Every Drop of Ink”, I saw that this was probably as close as I had ever come to saying what I actually wished to say. The hopelessness of actually putting in to words what you are actually feeling, when you aren’t sure you’re self. I considered the frustration of attempting to convey abstract thoughts, to portray indescribable emotion, to alliterate beauty, which the eye can scarcely comprehend. I’ve had several conflicting opinions of the piece, varying from disinterest to a raving commentary from a well-intentioned individual, who if the comment was truly an indication, could only be described as a functional illiterate.
Upon consideration, I decided that if self-sufficiency and satisfaction with self could be construed as healthy; then the prostitution of our emotions, thoughts, and innermost feelings for mere flattery had to be the unkindest fate of all. With every expose’, every confessional, we become less of ourselves, and more of the public consciousness (which is laughable in itself).
In summation, I suppose it is only fair to say this is only my opinion, which are like noses but it did give me pause, and force me to delve into and question my own motives for doing what I do, and being what I am.

© Copyright 2000 John R. Yaws - All Rights Reserved
WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
1 posted 2000-03-18 11:38 PM

Ya know this is pretty deep and I'm not sure what to say to it.  As we write I don't quite view it as loosing ourselves. Though writing what comes from the heart.
I wrote and had no one to share it with until I found Passions. Not so much to get recognition but to share who I am and what I feel with others. To have others relate to what I write and feel.  To be able to reach out and connect with others.

I don't know if this has to do with the no replies that you mentioned. This has become a very fast paced forum, one in which I don't post often in anymore. I can't sit here and say it's not disheartening to watch your work go to the bottom with no replies. I've been there and I know.

We've read your works, and we've loved them. So I hope you just keep pluggin away and keep writing. You are very good at it!

John Yaws
since 1999-10-09
Posts 860
Texas
2 posted 2000-03-19 12:39 PM

Thank you kindly, and I am not sure how I feel myself. I merely thought I'd throw a bit of food for thought on the table.
WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
3 posted 2000-03-19 12:55 PM

Well I'm glad ya did. We all have to do that once in a while!
JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
4 posted 2000-03-19 03:33 AM

Some interesting thoughts here Gunslinger.
I feel like I am giving a little piece of my heart when I write..sometimes when I write it is to be playful and can be a very joyful experience..sometimes I am dealing or redealing with issues in my life...like hurt or pain, unanswered questions, unresolved issues, disappointments, frustrations, desires, wondering why things are the way they are, and of course romantic interests.  I feel like writing helps me to understand who I am and who I want to be.  I know that I receive more enjoyment and more value from the things I write than anyone else.  As I reveal myself to others I am also revealing myself to me.......James

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
5 posted 2000-03-19 09:34 AM

Hello, my friend...

I surely wish you had been around when we first opened the forums.  We had a relatively small group of poets who thrived upon reading and enjoying each other's work.  We actually had a wonderful clandestine forum where we posted, knowing that every poem we opened was written by someone whose talent we could truly enjoy.

Since then, we've grown immensely.  None of us expected to see us being 2500 members strong in just a few short months.  It's astounding - and we have such a wide variety of people here now, it's enough to boggle our poor minds.  We've got our share of good and bad among us now - but that's just because we're a slice of "real life".  If we hadn't taken on the problems, neither would we have seen the wondrous talented people we've acquired (such as yourself).

The Open Poetry forums are indeed fast paced.  None of us can open and read every poem any longer.  We have to pick and choose our favorite writers.  Please know that you're always on my "must read" list.  

Because we all really loved the intimate atmosphere that we had in the beginning, Ron opened the Corner Pub... If it suits you, JB, do try posting in that forum.  You might just love it.  

One thing, though... Whatever you do, don't stop writing and posting... Your work is unique and refreshingly exceptional....   

hoot_owl_rn
Member Patricius
since 1999-07-05
Posts 10750
Glen Hope, PA USA
6 posted 2000-03-19 10:10 AM

Wow GS...if ever I could relate to any of your poems it would have to be this one. It is like you read my mind with it. I think all your work is fabulous as you well know, but this one has to rank up there amoung my favorites. Wonderful work   Keep writing and maybe someday I can really talk you into sending a few of those cowboy/rodeo poems out to a few publishers  
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
7 posted 2000-03-19 02:09 PM

It's all on one's outlook I guess, 'slinger. Does a man who's giving blood dwell on the fact that he's giving his blood or does he get a good feeling knowing that someone out there is benefitting from his effort? I've given actual blood many times and I've never gotten a letter from a receipient thanking me...but I know I've helped some. As far as poetic blood goes, I've gotten e-mails from people who don't actually respond on the site but wanted me to know that they're reading and appreciating. I'll guarantee the same thing is happening to you. Sometimes, as you point out, replies can sound trite even when they're not meant to be and, in order to avoid sounding like that, some people just don't respond. But if you know deep inside that your poetry is good (and you should because it is) then you can rest assured that it is being read and possibly putting a smile on someone's face or a nice feeling in someone's mind that makes their day just a little easier. Hopefully some day we can have a counter on this site which will keep track of how many times a poem is read. You, and many others, may be amazed at the numbers it would give. Prostituting ourselves? Hardly. Sharing our thoughts and ideas? Definitely. A wise man once said only a fool writes only for money. Well, another kind of fool would write only for praise. One writes for oneself....and, if others, admire it, so much the better but it's not mandatory. Determine why you're writing and then you won't have to ask if you should stop or not. In reality, if you have to ask, you're writing for the wrong reason. You keep writing them....I'll keep reading them.
John Yaws
since 1999-10-09
Posts 860
Texas
8 posted 2000-03-19 02:17 PM

Well, I must say that I am a bit overwhelmed with theamount and quality of the response. Thanks for the praise, and critique everyone. I guess I was doing a little "thinking outloud".
Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

9 posted 2000-03-19 02:46 PM

Without your disertation I had gotten the essence of your meaning from reading your poem the first time. I always enjoy reading the things that you write. I believe that I have only missed a few due to time contraints. Many of the poems I read touch me deeply, more than my meager words are able to convey, I'm sure. But be assured that they do reach down into my soul and give me great pleasure. Please don't stop writing and posting. I believe we can only benefit as we share with others!  

Denise

28crickets
since 2000-03-19
Posts 1

10 posted 2000-03-19 03:21 PM

Tis these very thoughts that brought me to "netpoets".  I was quite content with my anonimity tho', but many friends scolded:  "Shame on you for not sharing your work with others!"

Perhaps, in time, I will post one or two.  Until then, I shall thank you for having shared so openly.

All men lead lives of
quiet desperation.
<WS>

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #6 » With Every Drop of Ink, (a repost, and a disertation)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary