navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #5 » The Weight of a Voice (Sequel to My Autistic Son)
Open Poetry #5
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Weight of a Voice (Sequel to My Autistic Son) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash

0 posted 2000-02-03 09:20 PM

I never thought I’d have to stand and fight
Against the very people charged to teach
My son to learn to speak and help him reach
What some might call a normal life.  Tonight,
Like many other nights, my doubts indict
The righteousness of my resolve, impeach
The soundness of my judgement, whereas each
Delay exacerbates a young boy’s plight.
It’s hard enough to raise my son without
The added obstacles that aggravate
The fear of knowing every minute choice
I make must be, without the slightest doubt,
In his best interest; a grievous weight
That I must bear to give my boy a voice.

Jim

"If I rest, I rust." - Martin Luther

© Copyright 2000 Jim Bouder - All Rights Reserved
Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

1 posted 2000-02-03 09:50 PM

Excellent, Jim! The responsibility can weigh heavy, I'm sure. What kind of sonnet is this Jim? Petrachian? (sp?) This is excellent!!

Denise

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

2 posted 2000-02-03 09:55 PM

Petrarchan! I just looked it up in Nan's class notes! I just call it the Italian! Much easier!! Again, beautiful writing, Jim!

Denise

Rosemary J. Gwaltney
since 1999-08-26
Posts 997
northern mountains, Idaho
3 posted 2000-02-03 10:23 PM

Ah, your poem weighs heavily on my mind and memory!  I am thinking that it speaks of protesting against a school society which believes it knows more than you do, as a parent.  I may be wrong, but my comprehension is borne of my own personal experience.

Beautifully and poignantly written - I can tell you truly do have a son who is autistic.  I am such a parent as well.  My heart is with you.

KEEP FIGHTING THE SYSTEM!  Hurrah!  Hurrah for you!  (I don't know how many times I have been told "you are the only parent who feels the way you do")... trying to prevent me from protesting what I knew was wrong for my child ... but I know now after all these many years that they were wrong, wrong, wrong.  Only a parent who loves their child, is the true expert of that child.

I love your last haunting line.

Write more!  Write more!  I'll be waiting and watching!

...Living is ever like crossing rivers; finding a new life on each shore ... RJG

Sally S.
since 1999-06-07
Posts 847
Ohio
4 posted 2000-02-03 10:42 PM

I admire your strength, Jim.  You must be very strong in spirit to remain in the fight rather than fold in despair.  
I've worked with Autistic adults and children and a member of my family is Autistic...I've seen how hard my Uncle has pushed to give his son as many opportunities as possible.  I'd like to print this out and give it to him.  Thank you.

lucky
since 2000-01-17
Posts 1601
Idaho
5 posted 2000-02-03 11:09 PM

Oh my gosh Jim,

Did you do it or what..! We just resently had the "system" checking out our seventeen year old son who can say 7 words. They where "concerned" about his social life and didn't like it that we were home-schoolers (because the other kids just made fun of him.) I think your idioms need to be a wee bit louder, maybe something like a trumpet but as jagged as a trombone. You got my vote not to mention my spouce who is still on fire. What a note to pick...

Justbleu
Member Elite
since 1999-08-31
Posts 3329
Oregon, Originally From Alaska :)
6 posted 2000-02-04 01:03 AM

I do sooo agree....continue to stand behind what you believe to be right!!  You sound like a wonderful father!!  

Take Care
Bridgette

Creation of woman from the rib of Man: She was not made from his head to top him; nor out of his feet to be trampled upon by him; but out of his side to be equal with him, under his arm to be protected, and near his heart to be loved."

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
7 posted 2000-02-04 06:25 AM

Denise:

You got it!  Italian or Petrarchan is fine.  But I tried to make it's a subtle as possible.  Good catch.

Rosemary:

Thanks for the encouraging words.  My situation pushes me to push the administrators to act.  They are good people, I think, but sometimes they THINK their hands are tied up with red tape.  The trick is to make them so eager to get me off of their backs that they gladly embrace any additional red tape I may force upon them.    It's working so far but it is tiring at times always having to be the "bad" guy.

Sally:

My strength is actually irrelevant to me.  I love my little boy and want to get him the best help I can.  Any parent would do the same.  Your uncle demonstrates my point, I think.  

Lucky:

Set you spouse on fire too, huh?  I'll consider the "idioms" suggestion.  I wasn't quite in the blaring trombone mood when I wrote this but I see your point.  

Bridgett:

Thanks for the kind words.  I plan on continuing to stand up for what I think is best for my son for as long as it takes.  Actually, I don't think I'm nearly as wonderful a father as my little boy is as wonderful a son.   Thanks again.

Jim

hoot_owl_rn
Member Patricius
since 1999-07-05
Posts 10750
Glen Hope, PA USA
8 posted 2000-02-04 12:00 PM

Another very touching one Jim  
Well written

lucky
since 2000-01-17
Posts 1601
Idaho
9 posted 2000-02-05 03:22 AM

Charades

nonetheless there has been much to amuse over even while passing through the great quiet carefulness surrounding these crafty days as flying fluent fingers quickly lashed out emotion over the keys finding ways to laugh
still while I tried to cool my spouse cynically flaunting their gestures in addition to the teasing of their own tics pantomiming and silhouetting their personas as to act out and mimic their ways scheming as if we were children again playing charades all while being abused and accused of being in denial and having forgotten our age and after being a parent for twenty seven years they decide they are now going to teach us how to raise our seventeen year old disabled who speaks seven words most of these made up characters belong to a very sophisticated elite spinsterhood cult who proudly parade their mini skirts and kool-aided hair brained washed ways into unsuspecting lives and homes and would you believe never having had a kid of their own and as a result break up all they can find leaving no stone unturned and they learned it all in two years or so out of a book in a university to some degree but bless his little heart Joey was lampooned in the interview and spit out a big oozing loogy on her low cut blouse and turned away and farted can you believe it took them professionals over a year to find out they didn’t have the time (and government cash to waste) or the patience not to mention practice so what has taken a year or so to learn in how to get rid of a stranger who made no sense took him less than a minute... is there lesson here to be learned..? heh..!

Oh, I must tell you when you say that “heh..!” you need to turn your upper lip up like a horse and show your teeth like a beaver and of course give it a lot of emphasis. (no “slam” on the disabled as so am I and most likely are we all... but I must say it sure took away from her Ph.d and professional wit.) later we chuckled as we talked how that they had sent out a person with a “disability” to diagnose another with disabilities...

And do please take the time to laugh it does the spirit a world of good and I’m sure you know that. Life is good and we’re the caring and you betcha brother “we’re” God’s proof of that..!

The fact that we are all individuals does not make us different kinds of Christians, but the fact that we are Christian does make us a different kind of people. May your neighbors respect you, troubles neglect you, the angels protect you, and heaven accept you. I think I stole that from one of ya alls Passion, it could be just some kinda’ parkin’ disease but I’ve never been sighted on it. I no longer understand the “where” and “why” of God’s leading, nor do I want to, and too many times as we should appraising be seem but only to find a hard and cruel destiny... notwithstanding, still I do hear that gentle whisper ever pleading, God is working, God is faithful, God is hearing - simply wait..!

but for now it's back to the top my friend.

Elizabeth Santos
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-11-08
Posts 9269
Pennsylvania
10 posted 2000-02-05 08:54 AM

A very strong, heartwarming and wonderful poem, and a tribute to the child's father. I also enjoyed reading the responses
Good work, my poet friend
Liz

WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
11 posted 2000-02-05 09:00 AM

It takes a special kind of parent to take care of those special little ones from God.
He knew you could do the job!

<*\\\><

When you can't make up your mind
Which way is right for you,
Stop and softly ask yourself,
What Would Jesus Do?

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
12 posted 2000-02-05 11:23 AM

Ruth:

Thanks for the reply.  Thanks also for teaching me how to write these things.  

Lucky:

Thanks for sharing.

Liz & Whitedove:

Thank you but this wasn't intended to come across as a tribute to myself.  Any father who loves his child would do the same thing.

Thanks everyone for your kind words and responses.

Jim

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
13 posted 2000-02-05 08:33 PM

Ya know, Jim... I kept procrastinating opening this poem to read (knowing I had to) - because I knew it would be a tear-jerker.... and I was right... and it's awesome.... and a sonnet.. and it's great... and incredibly emotional... and superbly written... and...
Munda
Member Elite
since 1999-10-08
Posts 3544
The Hague, The Netherlands
14 posted 2000-02-05 08:46 PM

Another great sonnet Jim. Just as the other one you wrote about your son, I loved this one too, very heartwarming.

Munda  

p.s. Congratulations ! I noticed you're a moderator now in the CA Forum  

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #5 » The Weight of a Voice (Sequel to My Autistic Son)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary