navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #5 » anyone join me for some...CABIN FEVER?
Open Poetry #5
Post A Reply Post New Topic anyone join me for some...CABIN FEVER? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
simplyYRREHS
since 2000-01-03
Posts 162

0 posted 2000-01-29 05:21 PM

Ice
                     falls from
                  an  ominous  sky
            as  temperatures  fall  too.
         The ground displays left over snow
    and  puddles of rain brand new. The kids are
  restless, the parents irate, as inside we are to
  stay.   While this freakish weather continues on
  path, our homes begin to fray.   From the inside
  we see the most obvious signs of a disease with-
  out medicinal cure,  and visions of peace of any
  type are becoming fewer and fewer.  Little Billy
  is swinging from the kitchen door.  Suzy's jump-
  ing on a cushion-less couch.  The dogs are chew-
  ing everything in sight and I'm resembling Oscar
  The Grouch.  My body is aching from ten thousand
  games of charades and twister, too.  The crayons
  are tired, the playdough is stiff  and I am sick
  of scissors and markers and glue.  The chips are
  all munched on, the cookies are gone. We live on
  Pepsi and tea, caffeine-full. "Don't touch that"
  and "Go play in your room". OH! I can't wait for
  the start of school.  Blankets and sleeping bags
  adorn the flooring and we haven't for  days been
  dressed. Man, what I won't miss at winter's end~

IT'S CABIN FEVER AT IT'S VERY BEST!

[This message has been edited by simplyYRREHS (edited 01-29-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 Sherry - All Rights Reserved
Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
1 posted 2000-01-29 06:11 PM

Sherry-
Adorable.  I like the format
and the interior design.
Sounds like you're ready for
'spring cleaning'.
Where do you live that it's so cold?
Cute.
~*Marge*~

~*The pen of the poet never runs out of ink, as long as we breathe.*~
noles1@totcon.com

Little_Spyro
since 2000-01-09
Posts 659
San Diego, CA, USA
2 posted 2000-01-29 06:15 PM

I like this! It kinda reminds me how I used to act on camping trips...of course, I still go on camping trips, and since I'm 14 that wasn't too long ago when I acted like that.  
Great work!

-Little Spyro T. Dragon

simplyYRREHS
since 2000-01-03
Posts 162

3 posted 2000-01-29 09:11 PM

Marge~
So glad you enjoyed this one.  This is definately one inspired by the moment (as my kids are still playing under my feet and the dogs are ruling the house!).  Don't laugh, but I'm in SC, and our weather here is highly unusual.  School has been out for almost a week now, due to the ice and snow, and we're all about at our wits ends.  You have to remember that being near Myrtle Beach, we are not quite equiped structurally, nor emotionally (hehehe) for a lengthy stay indoors.  

L'Spyro~
No camping this week, at least not outdoors!  Glad this brought up fond memories from the past (hehehe) for you!

Gene
since 2000-01-23
Posts 935
Colorado, USA
4 posted 2000-01-29 09:37 PM

*chuckling* I love it. Now can you do one with a smiley face? -- 'cause that how you made me feel.

~Gene  

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

5 posted 2000-01-29 09:54 PM

Well I can sure relate to this! I'm stuck in the house too, streets are all frozen, temperatures below freezing and an a snow and ice storm is on the way tomorrow. I hate winter.......

But I loved your poem! Very creative!

Denise

WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
6 posted 2000-01-29 10:07 PM

Wow! I love this! Have you been to my house?  haha...well cabin fever because of the cold, I will be glad when the weather breaks and they GO outside and play!!! haha...love it!
Lorelei54
since 1999-07-27
Posts 458

7 posted 2000-01-29 10:14 PM

Loved the apperance, and content of your poem, I too have cabin fever, even though my house is neat and clean and no kids jumping about, no stories to read or games to play...How I'd love to have some diversions, so, be glad for what you have, we too are awaiting a approaching snow and ice storm and wondering what the next week will bring.  I actually WANT to go back to work, I haven't worked in over  a week!!!
We may be down your way the week of Valentines (15-17)...how far are you from the Broadway place?  we are staying near there!  It's our anniversary...you gonna still have snow and ice?

simplyYRREHS
since 2000-01-03
Posts 162

8 posted 2000-01-30 12:59 PM

Gene~
I'm working on it...just because you asked if I could  

Denise~
The east coast is surely the place to be...NOT!  Thought many could relate to this, and nice to know we are not alone in our "feverish" times.  Glad you enjoyed this!

Whtdove~ Amen to the outdoors!  Can't wait 'til the treehouse is fully operational again!

Lorelei~
I thought this was an interesting approach to poetry too, the design.  I've seen such great displays from others in here, and that was my inspiration.  The "house" design, I must admit, was an easy, beginners step...but I was satisfied. I know there are many different degrees of this fever, but I can't imagine having the illness without the little ones around...truly makes my "cooped-up-ness" much more insane and pleasurable.  I'm about 40 minutes from Broadway...You are sure to have a splendid time, ice or none.Happy Anniversary in advance, from our "beautiful places, smiling faces" state.

< !signature-->

"The finest qualities of our nature, like the bloom on fruits, can be preserved only by the most delicate handling.  Yet, we do not treat ourselves nor another thus tenderly." ~Henry David Thoreau

[This message has been edited by simplyYRREHS (edited 01-30-2000).]

dash rendor
since 2000-01-30
Posts 21

9 posted 2000-01-30 05:38 AM

Great Poem.  I can relate, Im in Ohio where the weather, although not terrible, is very cold and slick.  Ive been on the computer all night-that's how I cure my cabin fever.  A clever work!
simplyYRREHS
since 2000-01-03
Posts 162

10 posted 2000-01-30 09:46 PM

Thanks, Dash, and Welcome to you!  Still bouncing off the walls here guys...Hope everyone else is handling the cabin fever better than I am!!!  
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #5 » anyone join me for some...CABIN FEVER?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary