navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #5 » i want it back
Open Poetry #5
Post A Reply Post New Topic i want it back Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
stephen j
since 2000-01-15
Posts 21

0 posted 2000-01-15 02:53 AM

i want it back

i screwed up,and now i regret it, i want it back,
i want back what i had,
and now its gone ,
my real friendship its gone,
and i want it back.                                                                                                                                                                    by stephen j

© Copyright 2000 stephen j - All Rights Reserved
bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

1 posted 2000-01-15 03:15 AM

Hi Stephen. I definitely liked the rhythm and flow of this, but it's very vague. It seems like it would be the chorus sung again and again in a song. But, without the supporting verses around the chorus, it's very open-ended and hard to relate to. I mean, I understand you want your friendship back, but a million questions are asked in the process> What was this friendship? Who was it with? What made it "real?" How was it lost? Granted, poems are about brevity, but this seems more like a promising start, not a full-on poem.

Mike

poetry_kills
since 1999-12-04
Posts 549
new orleans
2 posted 2000-01-15 03:45 AM

stephen: i have to agree with mike on this one; i feel that the poem is too vague... the sentiment is understood well enough, but to make it really hit home i need to be fed some kind of a story... at least some allusions to whom or what you are speaking of specifically...

sincerely,

**jerome the boy whose brain got left out in the rain and nobody bothered to dry it off when they put it back in

bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

3 posted 2000-01-15 03:58 AM

Hi, Stephen. Whoops, didn't realize it was only your first post! I don't want to scare you away. What I said before stands, but look at the positive side: you seem to have an innate grasp of word rhythm and flow. It's the start of something big. Keep writing!

Mike

whiskey
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 1999-12-28
Posts 1278
Australia
4 posted 2000-01-15 09:18 AM

I think you should add to the poem , You could rewrite it adding some more to it , its great what you have written Dont take me the wrong way it just needs some more , Welcome to passions
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
5 posted 2000-01-15 10:49 AM

We truly often forget to appreciate what we have until it's no longer there for us.
Welcome to Passions, Stephen. Check your email...

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

6 posted 2000-01-15 04:25 PM

Welcome to Passions, Stephen! Sometimes we don't appreciate what we have until it's gone, that's for sure!

Denise

And slight is the sting of his trouble
Whose winnings are less than his worth;
For he who is honest is noble,
Whatever his fortunes or birth.~~~Alice Cary, ~Nobility~

Rus Bowden
since 2000-01-13
Posts 139

7 posted 2000-01-15 06:37 PM

hi stephen,

this has such an echo as i read,  tough to screw up.

rus

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #5 » i want it back

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary