navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » the Captain is rescued
Announcements & Links
Post A Reply Post New Topic the Captain is rescued Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia

0 posted 2009-04-12 05:12 PM

Captain Phillips was rescued safely from the pirates this evening.
Three pirates are dead, courtesy of Navy Seals aboard the USS Bainbridge, and the fourth is under arrest.
Now, the world needs to stop the piracy, and help the Somali people establish a legitimate government.

© Copyright 2009 Kathleen Kacy Stafford - All Rights Reserved
Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

1 posted 2009-04-12 06:34 PM

The news made my day when I heard it about an hour ago!

Kudos to those Navy Seals, their Commander and to Obama for authorizing the rescue tactic, at least that's what I heard on Fox News. MSNBC made no mention of it, but I'm sure he had to authorize the action if deemed necessary by the Commander of the Bainbridge. He has gained a measure of respect in my eyes in his role as Commander-in-Chief for this bold, no nonsense, decision.

Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
2 posted 2009-04-12 07:55 PM

I’m glad he’s safe.

Unfortunately there will, in all likelihood be a heavy cost, the pirates, who up to this point have made a point of not harming their captives, have announced that they’re going to change those tactics. That probably means that they’ll target US shipping in retaliation and exercise their frustration and retribution on the crews.

International maritime law doesn’t permit merchant vessels to be armed and even the US fleet couldn’t successful police the sea off Somalia so the chances are that another hostage situation will happen before too long. Let’s hope it doesn’t or if it does it has a satisfactory outcome.

quote:
help the Somali people establish a legitimate government

That sounds ominous, especially as they already have a legitimate and democratically elected national government. Or are you proposing that the main opposition to that government - the Islamic Courts Union - has a more legitimate claim to govern Somalia?

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
3 posted 2009-04-13 09:19 AM

Grinch, you are correct, it is a legitimately 'elected' government, but is apparently completely unable to control fighting warlord factions and the constant piracy.
Something will have to change, and a coalition of international shippers should take the lead in protecting their shipping lanes if the UN or some other group cannot. I AM concerned with the number of ships and citizens from so many countries being hijacked. There will no doubt be many more pirating episodes, and the safety risks to private citizens may have been compromised, by the American and French responses. But does anyone prefer to let this nonsense go unchecked, and keep paying these bandits the ransoms they demand?

SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
4 posted 2009-04-13 10:06 AM

I heard they only wanted food....IDK

I think those people need help and it's a sad mess to me.

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
5 posted 2009-04-15 01:11 PM

Crime is crime is crime!  There is no excuse for it and it should not be condoned.  Only zero tolerance will stop it.  The pirates do these things because they can.  They need to be unable to do it.

Well done and BRAVO, Kacy!  You are a shining example to us all.  

Lots of love
Diana

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » the Captain is rescued

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary