navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » Fun Facts O St. Paddy's Day (add your own)
Announcements & Links
Post A Reply Post New Topic Fun Facts O St. Paddy's Day (add your own) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
WTBAKELAR
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2008-09-09
Posts 1089
Utah, USA

0 posted 2009-03-16 12:02 PM

1. There are more Americans of Irish origin, than there are Irish in Ireland.

2. St. Patrick's given name was Maewyn Succat, and he was born in Britain around 385 AD.  At age 16 he was kidnapped by pirates and sold into slaverey in Ireland.

3. It is believed that St. Patrick died on March 17th, the day that we now celebrate St. Patrick's Day. March 17th is also Feast Day in Ireland.

4. The actual color of St. Patrick is BLUE.  Green became associated with St. Patrick's Day during the 19th century.  Green, in Irish legends, was worn by fairies and immortals.

5. St. Patrick did not actually drive snakes out of Ireland; The snakes represent the Pagans that he converted to Christianity.

6. The shamrock, which was also called the "Seamroy" by the Celts, was a sacred plant in ancient Ireland because it symbolized the rebirth of spring.

7. According to legend, St. Patrick used the shamrock to explain the Christian doctrine of the Trinity (God exists as three persons--Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit) to the Irish.

I, tis a good day for the wear-in O the Green.

© Copyright 2009 Wm. Tracey Bakelar - All Rights Reserved
Chalmette Guy
since 2009-03-11
Posts 1257
Louisiana
1 posted 2009-03-16 01:21 PM

I will definitely lift a beer in toast.

Cheers.

WTBAKELAR
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2008-09-09
Posts 1089
Utah, USA
2 posted 2009-03-16 01:48 PM

So whose idea was the Corn Beef and Cabage?
TheAnonDavid
since 2008-08-28
Posts 237
UK
3 posted 2009-03-16 04:51 PM

The consumption of corned beef is associated with Saint Patrick's Day, when many Irish Americans eat a traditional meal of corned beef and cabbage. According to the History Channel, while cabbage is a traditional food item for Irish-Americans, corned beef is not consumed in Ireland - it was originally used as a substitute for bacon by Irish American immigrants in the late 1800s. Irish immigrants living in New York City's Lower East Side sought an equivalent in taste and texture to their traditional Irish bacon, and learned about this cheaper alternative to bacon from their Jewish neighbors. A similar dish is the New England boiled dinner, consisting of corned beef, cabbage, and root vegetables such as carrots, turnips, and potatoes, which is popular in New England and parts of Atlantic Canada.

As St. Patrick's Day occurs annually during Lent, the corned beef tradition caused controversy among American Catholic dioceses in 2000 and 2006, when the holiday fell on a Friday. Catholic custom dictates that no meat be consumed on any Friday, but some bishops granted dispensations to their dioceses for eating corned beef on St. Patrick's Day. This rare occurrence will next happen on Friday in 2017
[courtesy of Wikipedia]

Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Dylan Thomas

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
4 posted 2009-03-16 05:02 PM

Thank you Tracey! ~ and David! Me Celtic roots drink up anything to do with St. Pat's Day!

Like many of Irish descent, here in Canada, we enjoy our boiled dinner! One big pot of boiled goodness! ~ corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, carrots, and turnips! I personally then smother it in butter and add a liberal soaking of cider vinegar and a wee bit 'o salt. Yummy in the tummy!

Enjoyed the post ~ thus far! I hope there are some more juicy tidbits to be added by your readers!

May the winds blow gently at your back!

Love & Irish blessings,
Ms. Colleen

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
5 posted 2009-03-17 04:14 PM

Well, I have proof that the Irish discovered Africa, here you go.
Irish Discovered Africa

Artic Wind
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 8080
Realm of Supernatural
6 posted 2009-03-19 11:46 AM

Oh my, I learned plenty in this one read! ~ Thanks Mysteria for that link, very good read

HAPPY ST.PATRICK'S DAY

ARCTIC WIND

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » Fun Facts O St. Paddy's Day (add your own)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary