navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » I'm a Scrabble addict. Who wants to play?
Announcements & Links
Post A Reply Post New Topic I'm a Scrabble addict. Who wants to play? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
doreen_peri
Unregistered
Posts 180

0 posted 2006-04-10 09:43 PM

Go to http://games.com
Meet me in the "Spelling Bee" room.
I'm there a lot.

Screen name is "studioeight"
like my website http://studioeight.tv/phpbb

© Copyright 2006 doreen_peri - All Rights Reserved
doreen_peri
Unregistered
Posts 180

1 posted 2006-04-10 10:55 PM

Well, I've lost every game for the past 2 days except for the ones people quit on me 'cause I was winning.

To me, Scrabble is like playing scales.

My partner calls it "pushing a peanut with your nose." He doesn't like it much, I suppose.

But it's an amazing thing when you can exercise another side of your brain.

Creative activities like painting, playing music, dancing, writing poetry..... they all use one side of the brain and Scrabble uses another.

I used to play Nan in Scrabble. She and I were well-matched. I beat her quite a few times and she beat me quite a few times and it was a great deal of fun and challenging. We played our games in person, not online. Online is addicting because you don't need to set the board up and clean it up afterward. You just click and there it is. Instant gratification.

How does the internet provide you with instant gratification?

Tell me.

I'm all ears.

The interesting thing about Scrabble is there are only so many combinations of 26 letters but they are infinite almost. Twenty-six letters which can fit together in an amazing number of ways, all with a myriad of meanings. When we were kids, we used to make up stories with the words on the board. It was pretty darn funny.

But now we're not kids any more and so we make up stories in our heads instead and write them down as poetry or imagine them to the point of being lead characters or walk-ons.

As long as you can spell my name right, you can borrow or have any of the letters I own and I own them all.

And if you spell my name wrong? Well, that's OK. I'll just give you my tile rack and you can make words from the imagery in my brain.

I am not insane.

I am only relaying the dynamic of spelling yourself out. No doubt I may be a homonym of synonym of myself but as long as I'm a metaphor of you, we have something in common. Why?

I donno, I'm nuts.

I've lost every game since I was born except for the many which I've won, especially when playing formidable opponents. The thing to beware of is when they convince you they're on your side. They're not.

Except, of course, when they are and the purpose is to teach you a thing or two.

Crosswords can be amusing.
Cross words are not fun.

Let's play Scrabble and dance, everyone?

Shall we?

And I'll sing to you until the night is young
and we are as brave as titans and lucid
as mermaids, our spelling secondary
to our swim and reach!

I will teach
you how to accompany me
if you will play a melody and
if you place your letters just right
to make words which coincide
with mine,

we both win!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » I'm a Scrabble addict. Who wants to play?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary