navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » Clothing Donations?
Announcements & Links
Post A Reply Post New Topic Clothing Donations? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

0 posted 2005-09-02 11:30 AM

I was just cleaning out some old clothes I have when I realized.. hey, someone could use these. I was planning on taking them to my local GoodWill, but is there a way that anyone knows of that I could somehow get this clothing to the hurricane victims? I don't have a lot of money right now, and I'd love another way to help..

Love's a lovely lad
His bringing up is beauty
Who loves him not is mad
For I must pay him duty
-Anonymous

© Copyright 2005 Erica N. - All Rights Reserved
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
1 posted 2005-09-02 11:40 AM

I'm just guessing - But something tells me that most clothing contributions to Goodwill/Salvation Army will soon be finding themselves directed exactly where they should be - to New Orleans...
LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

2 posted 2005-09-02 11:48 AM

My mom told me that the clothing that is sold at Goodwill/Salvtion army stores is to raise money for the organization, so I guess it would help either way! Thanks

Love's a lovely lad
Who loves him not is mad
For I must pay him duty
-Anonymous

Greeneyes
Deputy Moderator 50 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-09-09
Posts 9903
In Your Poetic Mind
3 posted 2005-09-02 01:55 PM

I read the post office is shipping free to the affected areas.....
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
4 posted 2005-09-02 04:26 PM

Free Postage?  Where did you see that Lauren?  That is awesome!  I will check to see if our Canada Post will do the same?  Do you have a link you could share?

Any donations to the Red Cross or Salvation Army will reach their targets trust me on that for sure!  The fact that The Salvation Army has become somewhat of a business is even a good thing in fact.  They work diligently in not only filling "Hand-Up Stores," with reasonably priced items for sale, (which I frequent because it is sensible to do so,) but the proceeds of sales after salaries, go to the Salvation Army to distribute as seen fit.  Since they have privatized (now this in Canada mind you) the quality of items is better, prices are higher sure, but so are the profits.  Right now, they will indeed hit their mark,and the Salvation Army has always been 100% legitimate!

If you have extra clothes, shoes, BLOOD, give it!  Every bit will help someone somewhere that needs it.  I find it just a darn shame people do not keep this as part of their home maintenance, and do it all the time.  

Okay sorry, jumping off my "support your local Sally Anne soapbox now

littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
5 posted 2005-09-02 05:48 PM

Right now, the Salvation Army is only looking for money, water and other supplies, no - in kind donations - go see here:
http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/usn/www_usn.nsf

scroll down.

But giving to any thrift store or your local Salvation Army will still most certainly help someone who needs it.

The Red Cross is unable to accept donations like that also:
http://www.redcross.org/donate/donateinkind.html

The problem is the cost and volunteers needed to pack and ship all of the articles.  
You may find an organization by you, a radio station , news channels that are having drives and donate that there.  

All over Buffalo they are doing this and the response has been so huge.  

Google your local stations and see what they are running, also the schools.

I was going to go there myself, to both organizations and donate stuffed animlas and toys, suggested by Reb, because of the kids, you know?  
But only local drives are accepting anything like that right now.  

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
6 posted 2005-09-02 06:14 PM

Actually it has been all over the news they want cash and more cash for this cause.  The ongoing donations though sure help keep that cash flow coming in on a regular basis.  Any Salvation Army right now too will take your money (ours down the street did and it is going to this cause.)  
Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
7 posted 2005-09-02 06:40 PM

everybody knows I'm a died in the wool agnostic -- so you'll know that what I'm about to say is not religiously motivated...

The ONLY charity organizations that I donate anything, monetary or material, to is Red Cross or Salvation Army.

In my experience these are the ones that really deliver to the people who need it... the absolute worst has the intitals UW... if your own religious institution has some kind of organization that's usually good -- but nobody has the power to deliver like the Salvation Army or Red Cross.

In some areas right now in the Gulf the Salvation Army is the only organization delivering hot meals.

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

8 posted 2005-09-02 07:05 PM

Thanks guys.. I know they need cash, the problem is that I need it too :P But I do have plenty of clothes, and I'll go to the Salvation Army store and ask what they're doing from our area to help down there

Love's a lovely lad
Who loves him not is mad
For I must pay him duty
-Anonymous

sandgrain
Member Elite
since 1999-09-21
Posts 3662
Sycamore, IL, USA
9 posted 2005-09-12 04:56 PM

Salvation Army says it's more cost efficient to donate $$ now as it actually costs more to accomplish less by hauling goods.  I'm sure donating to their store is producing funds that enable their help.  

Every time I clean out closets, I take it to Salvation Army.  They have always been right there in any disaster and they manage with a very low overhead.  They're my favorite charity for financial donations, too.

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
10 posted 2005-09-12 08:04 PM

The idea behind the cash donations is to give the local economies a boost...since they were hurt as well and the shipping won't be necessary. Besides the people may want to buy what they need  rather than make do with what is sent instead.

That's my take on the news broadcasts.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » Clothing Donations?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary