navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Did you Shake Rattle & Roll?
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Did you Shake Rattle & Roll? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley

0 posted 2002-06-18 09:08 PM

I was wondering if any of our PiP members felt the earthquake today?

© Copyright 2002 Poet deVine - All Rights Reserved
Nicole
since 1999-06-23
Posts 1835
Florida
1 posted 2002-06-18 10:30 PM

I didn't know there was one - where was it?
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
2 posted 2002-06-18 10:35 PM

Near Evansville, Indiana. I heard it could be felt as far away as some parts of Illinois and Kentucky.
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
3 posted 2002-06-18 11:26 PM

Didn't feel it and only heard about it a few minutes ago on the evening news. As some know, even though I live in Michigan, I'm also only about 30 miles from the Indiana border, part of what they call Michiana. The South Bend station comes in much more clearly than Grand Rapids, so that's what I usually watch.

I got a kick out of the people they were interviewing on the news station. Most had never experienced a quake and didn't quite know what they were feeling until it was all over. I'm guessing it was a "roller," rather than a shaker, because everyone they interviewed worked in tall buildings. What they were actually feeling was their building swaying as the ground rolled.

I'm not sure I have the heart to tell them they still don't know what a quake feels like. When they find very heavy furniture bumping across the floor and trying to crawl into bed with them, then they'll understand.  

catalinamoon
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-03
Posts 9543
The Shores of Alone
4 posted 2002-06-19 07:55 AM

A Southern California earthquake(not even that large), sleeping in a water bed with my honey..we woke to waves. Very funny, after you get over the momentary terror, and the complete inaility to get out of the bed.
We had a small one in NH last month. Strange quakes are rumbling all over the country suddenly.
Sandra

doreen peri
Member Elite
since 1999-05-25
Posts 3812
Virginia
5 posted 2002-06-19 09:23 PM

my goodness! this thread has changed a lot since the last time i was here!

hmmm......

geesh

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
6 posted 2002-06-19 09:28 PM

Yea..it sure has.
doreen peri
Member Elite
since 1999-05-25
Posts 3812
Virginia
7 posted 2002-06-19 09:54 PM

i was helping someone with his  computer problems today and he called me a "troubleshooter". I was relieved! I like that title better than "troublemaker". Thing is -- when an earthquake hits, sometimes it can jolt the electrical currents and the if the connections aren't secure because of  continual shake ups, the richter scale can go out of kilter and the next time a little tremor is noticed, the network administrators could send out a warning causing those who were previously effected with disrupted data to be overly cautious and treat every data entry with additional security measures.

It's a shame really because i don't think data needs that much extensive scrutiny and nobody gets paid enough and it just stresses the staff out.

So yeah, i felt the earthquake tremors here in virginia a couple of weeks before it actually hit.

Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

It was my first experience getting shook up like that.

Now I guess i have to be a  troubleshooter every now and again. It sucks, really. Can we say "sucks"?

just wondering *wink*

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
8 posted 2002-06-19 11:03 PM

Network administrators, like everyone else, are responsible for what they say. If they express concerns about the integrity of the network, they shouldn't be too terribly surprised when others respond with what may well be unwarranted caution. One can only hope most network admins don't issue earthquake warnings based solely on their own past loss of data. That would, indeed, suck.
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
9 posted 2002-06-19 11:19 PM

Well - It surely does have a new complexion.. Here I was - working hard all day - The last day of school and all.. I got splatted with paintball guns.. cards & wildflowers (aka blooming weeds) from the girls in my class... had pizza & watched "Amadeus".. and come back here to find a suspicious case of "Lost Data".. Beam me up, Scotty... There's no Data here..
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
10 posted 2002-06-19 11:20 PM

At first there were no reported injuries from this quake. Then last night or early this morning, it was revealed that there was one. A gentle woman with a quiet sense of humor. She felt the fault, slipped and fell..she was not hurt badly, more shaken than anything.

bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

11 posted 2002-06-20 03:56 PM

Eh. Land-locked quakes are nothing. Besides, you have a nice, solid bed of rock beneath you. In California, however, you have, what? Sandstone hills? The ocean? to protect you.

I've been through a new hampshire quake. It rattled the dishes almost imperceptibly. I've been through four (or is it five?) California quakes. They sound like bombs going off beneath your feet. Luckily, I was nowhere near Northridge in '94....

She said burn ... together.
-TON

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Did you Shake Rattle & Roll?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary