navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Scary
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Scary Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
rosepetals25
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-05-31
Posts 3076
PA

0 posted 2002-05-16 05:28 PM

I was going to throw away a bunch of newspapers we collected the other day, when a headline caught my eye :

8 People to receive tiny chips under skin.

I read the article (from May 10,2002) and it said Applied Digital Solutions Inc. has developed a small rice sized chip (the VeriChip) that can be planted under your skin, making the people scannable, much like a supermarket grocery item (to quote the paper)

Apparently right now it is being used for people with Alzheimers and other mental illness.  If someone with this chip would wonder away, when authorities or medical professionals found them, they could "scan' the person to find out allergies, their address, if they have any diseases ect.

It did say that soon Applied Digital will have a chip that will be able to receive signals from Global Positioning System satellites and transmit a person's location.

To me, this is a very frightening thing.  I shudder to think of how this will be abused and used in the future.

What do you all think of it?

© Copyright 2002 Tara Baldridge - All Rights Reserved
NapalmsConstantlyConfused
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-05-15
Posts 529

1 posted 2002-05-16 09:42 PM

i refuse to comment on this as anything i say will be met with flames from the liberals out there.

but i will point out the AMAZING SUCCESS of LoJack to anyone that wonders what i think.

-Dave

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
2 posted 2002-05-17 08:37 AM

Like any new technology, it has the potential to be used and abused...

There are many, many positive aspects of this technological tidbit...

Who NEEDS to be 'findable'?..

Escaped convicts...? People who are mentally impaired...?  our lost pets?... our lost children?

Does the positive outweigh the negative?.. Perhaps it does, provided the chip is removable at will..

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2002-05-17 01:30 PM

And so to play devil's advocate, do I need to be known to those outside of my immediate knowledge [in other words, people who don't need to know where I am when sane, legal, etc.] and where is the right to privacy should I so choose?

Interloper
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-11-06
Posts 8369
Deep in the heart
4 posted 2002-05-17 02:12 PM

George Orwell was only a few years off when he wrote "1984."
Big brother is, has been, and will continue to be watching.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Scary

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary