navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Are you proud of Passions? Looking for a little feedback ...
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Are you proud of Passions? Looking for a little feedback ... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada

0 posted 2001-11-18 10:07 AM

I was at a bookstore yesterday in the poetry section and got talking to a mother and daughter that came along (the daughter was interested in learning and writing poetry and looked about 14). I had a wonderful chat with them, and told her a little bit about Passions in general, and the Teen Forums specifically. The mother said she was a little nervous about the prospect of her daughter signing up with an internet forum. I must admit ... I find it sure feels good to be able to point people this direction, and be PROUD knowing what they'll find.    

*~*

That sort of brings me to this …

I'd love to hear what people think about the moderating programs we have in place. Do you feel good about recommending our site to others knowing the network of mods in the background and the family orientation we try to maintain?

When we started the Deputy Moderator Project, back in March of 2001, we really didn't know how successful it would truly be … but since then, we've had about 75 highly successful rotations and the opportunity to get to know so many wonderful members while moving behind-the-scenes.

We'd love to hear what people think about the Deputy Moderator Program, and would love some feedback from the DM's themselves, as well as any questions from members who haven't yet tried it out. We'll try to answer them if we can.

Currently, the program covers 5 forums … Open, Dark, Spiritual, Teen and Teen Chat. If you haven't heard of the program before … you can find out more about it here.  

/main/deputies.cgi

[This message has been edited by Kit McCallum (edited 11-18-2001).]

© Copyright 2001 Kit McCallum - All Rights Reserved
catalinamoon
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-03
Posts 9543
The Shores of Alone
1 posted 2001-11-18 11:05 AM

I am very proud to be a part of this wonderful place.
Sandra

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
2 posted 2001-11-18 12:39 PM

We love to hear suggestions from anyone who has constructive input.  If you have any ideas at all that might make the program better in any way, let us know... We DO listen...
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2001-11-18 07:23 PM

Proud of Passions?  That's like asking if the grin comes with Sunshine....

Absolutely!

cherish
since 2001-03-25
Posts 1639
swimming in fairy floss...........
4 posted 2001-11-18 07:24 PM

OOoo!i can personally vouch for the fact that the DM program is a wonderful way to really get to know the "workings" of this site. there's a real motivation factor in knowing that youre helping out others and contributing to the site at the same time.
the two week term flies by like a breeze, and when you get to the end of it you dont want to let go of your duties ...but the good thing is is that you can sign up for another rotation as soon as your current one is over
i love moderating- its a whole truckload of fun ! thanks for having such a wonderful program on board..it gives us something to give back to passions.

i luve mi con-tray! lyke a big an brown stetch olan wiv losa sun!

DawnG
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2000-06-23
Posts 1494
United States
5 posted 2001-11-19 12:53 PM

I absolutely love the DM program. The only part I don't like is that it has to end. I've met so many wonderful people as a result of the DM program. It is a very simple job, in that you have a big responsibility, but you also have tons upon tons of help. And if you can't get your duties for a day or so, just let your fellow mods know, it's really not a biggie. I think the DM program is something that everyone should very highly consider doing.

Dawn

Dawn

wayoutwalt
Member Elite
since 1999-06-22
Posts 4870
TEXAS (it's all big)
6 posted 2001-11-20 03:33 AM

This is from a year ago (I am proud of Passions cuz I don't write this bad anymore)

Its Not Easy Being A PIPster

I walked in the drugstore
I wore a fake mustache
I got things I needed
Paying, I made a dash

Someone said my name
And as I understood
I ducked in an alley
And ran fast as could

A mob was forming now
But I knew this alley well
Left, right, over a fence
If I lost them, who could tell?

I was in a stranger's yard
A rotweiler in that place
But I showed my true self
And it licked me in the face

O'er the fence they bounded
Yelling "It’s him, it’s him!"
I was stuck in the backyard
My outlook was kinda grim

“It’s a poet from Passion’s!”
They were literally screaming
Let’s listen to his greatness
And hope we’re not dreaming

Yes, folks this happens so oft'
I carry verse in my jacket
I saw my pocket was torn
While the mob raised a racket

I yelled and freaked, beating the door
I shouted “it’s the end of the line!”
The gal in the house ambled on out
What luck! It was Poet deVine

[This message has been edited by wayoutwalt (edited 11-20-2001).]

Lisa_bebe15
since 2001-11-15
Posts 151
Florida
7 posted 2001-11-20 09:50 AM

I am glad to be apart of a web site..I think you guys should try this "safe" chat room... www.isafe.org..to learn more info go there and check it out..I-Internet S-safty A-awareness F-for E-everyone..We have STATS which monator the chat room and JRSTATS(kids under 18) who watch the chat room. We have the ability to do things to ppl who sware and other types of things. I am JRSTATPigtails

"Water Over Matter"

rosepetals25
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-05-31
Posts 3076
PA
8 posted 2001-11-20 09:58 PM

I am a new DM.. I just started Nov 17.  I like the way things are run, how all moderators are so supportive of each other, exchanging ideas and opinions.  I think the program is wonderful.. and gives people who love this site the chance to feel more involved, to help give back.

Am I proud of Passions?  Everyone I know has heard me rant and rave about this place I send everyone I know here.. even if I know they aren't to into poetry!  Passions holds a very dear place in my heart. This place and the family here has given me so much confidence in my ablities.  I have come SO far and improved so much.  Before I came here.. my best friend of 14 years had no idea that I wrote poetry.. now I'm so excited about my writing everyone I know knows I write *chuckles* I am always telling people to look at this and to read that. So yes.. I am very proud to be part of such a warm, accepting, and loving place that nurtures people that have the desire to write and share their beautiful muse.

Tara

"My heart is like an open book, for the whole world to read"
     - Motley Crue, Home Sweet Home

Sudhir Iyer
Member Ascendant
since 2000-04-26
Posts 6943
Mumbai, India : now in Belgium
9 posted 2001-11-21 01:00 PM

YES, I am, extremely so...

Regards to all,
Sudhir

Irish Rose
Member Patricius
since 2000-04-06
Posts 10263

10 posted 2001-11-21 02:29 PM

Yes, I am proud of Passions. Very much so.
For many reasons. As far as the moderator programs go, personally, I am not able to participate right now (for personal reasons) and that's ok. What I want to say is I believe that poetry is a contribution also, in some ways, many ways. Even on our worst days.  I've had a few of those but then everyone has. When I first came here I held back in my writing. Well, I didn't want to really "write" what I was feeling. I thought that was wrong for whatever reason. I had been taught that to express my true opinion was not allowed.

Then over time, I realized through reading so many people and I love to read you all, that others are more open. I always thought I was open but I wasn't in my writing. I was afraid to express.

Then as I began expressing and digging I became angry with myself for having the feelings and putting them into poetry.
But without them the words are shallow.
My early poetry was very sentimental, life as I wanted it to have been, not how it was.
Slowly, it began to come out. There have been times I have regretted that for no one really wants to be read in a poor light. But...I would do it again, I guess to get to where I am today.

Writing helps a person see themselves for the first time.

But it's more than the writing, it's the feedback and a person touching you with their words. Knowing someone read, maybe they relate, maybe they weep or smile. Anything to show we are alive, have emotion.
Even when it hurts as it so often does.

And if something comes out in a poem or our own writing that needs to be dealt with  what we must do is realize that only we can deal with it. It's not others place to fully understand and if we are emotional, well, we need to deal with it or not write at all.

I don't know if this is making any sense.

Let me say in closing that the thing I am most proud of Passions for is their tolerance. Everyone is allowed to write about their beliefs, their ideals, whatever
in a respectful way, or they should.

It's a place that allows a person to grow.
Without judging. This forum I think or anyone anywhere is as good as the people in it. I can't think of anyone here who hasn't shown me love and compassion when I desperately needed it.
Maybe at times I didn't appreciate that enough, or see it. Sometimes a person is too embarrassed for whatever reason.

I just know I'm thankful I can still be a part of it.

Just...Kathleen

Charisma
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-09-30
Posts 5906
lost in blue pages
11 posted 2001-11-22 04:36 PM

Am I proud of Passion.....oh yeah, even that I haven't always time to come in, I love to be here. And truly blessed that I have found this place. Yes I am proud to be one inside  these blue lines. And doing DM Rotation was great to do, because there is a lot of help around. And besides that, it is really a great experience to view and work behind these blue lines. I have trule great respect for the Moderators of these forums.
I do hope that many will sign up for the DM rotation.

~*Theresia~*

Alyssa
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-05-30
Posts 385
IM ENGAGED!!!!!
12 posted 2001-11-23 03:07 PM

im very proud of pip i love this place!!!
i just  signed up againto be a DM hehe

I LuV 2 fReAk out saLEpeEpZ. ThEy AsK me If tHey CaN heLp Me, & I sAy,'HaVe U gOT NEthINg Id like?'TheN thEy aSk mE wuT sIZe I sAy "X-tr MedIuM"

Tracey
Member Elite
since 2001-08-29
Posts 2808
where insanity meets breeding
13 posted 2001-11-24 09:54 PM

I am relatively new here, but am very proud to be a part of this wonderful site. I would have no problem recommending this site, and, in fact, I did that tonight. A friend told me her father-in-law writes poetry, so I gave her the url for this site. I had no qualms whatsoever about recommending it.

If she who dies with the most toys wins, then can I have some toy boys please?

Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
14 posted 2001-11-24 11:29 PM

Thanks for all the terrific feedback everyone!  Since I wrote this, I've pointed 2 other people here as well. It just feels good knowing they'll be welcomed in and feel comfortable right from the start.  
Allan Riverwood
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-01-04
Posts 3502
Winnipeg
15 posted 2001-11-26 12:58 PM

You know something, I don't come here all that much anymore.  It's really unfortunate that I don't, because my time here was some of the best time I'd ever spent at my keyboard, and some of the most fascinating and informational time of my short life.  

Passions in Poetry has truly altered the course of my life, and I don't mean that in a suck-uppy kind of way.  It really has.  I've met so many influential people through this website, learned a lot and grown a lot as a writer.  Without this place my poetry would collect dust in the hands of those who don't know how to read it.  It gave me somewhere to truly share and experience poetry.  For that, I am truly grateful, no debt of gratitude can repay that.

Even though I never come on here anymore... I still pride myself as a member of Passions.  I tell people about it often, encourage them to come here and have the experience that I had, perhaps.  I also pride myself on membership here, just to be able to say that I was once a respected member of Passions is a great honour for me.  With each poem I wrote on here, I grew a lot.  Nothing can ever wreck that.

I don't know when it stopped for me, I eventually just didn't write as much as I used to... I felt it was getting harder and harder to make my next piece better than my last.  Harder to please everyone who was reading my work.  Harder to live up to the expectations of others... and I don't know, I felt less appreciated than when I first came here.  I just ended up dripping away, really.  And that's nobody's fault but my own.

Passions... it's just a wonderful place.  And yes, it is something that I am proud to have been a part of.  Maybe someday I'll come back with the same force as I used to have, but that's really all up to the path of my own feelings.  If I feel it's right to return, I shall.  Until then, I can pop in from time to time and just browse the articles whenever I get a free moment.  But life is hectic.

When I reflect on all this time spent here, I can't deny that this is a life-altering experience.  Passions in Poetry is a pivotal point in my life.

When the very few of the world combine, they seem not so few at all...

~Allan of Riverwood

"I've never been intimidated by a piece of electronic equipment because I believe that man himself is the best piece of electronic equipment ever."
~Vangelis

[This message has been edited by Allan Riverwood (edited 11-26-2001).]

Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
16 posted 2001-11-26 05:28 AM

It was so wonderful to hear from you Allan ... I was thinking about you just yesterday, and wondering  how you've been doing. I'm so glad you get some time to stop in and say hello now and again. It's amazing how Passions has such a positive influence on so many, and you expressed the part it has played in your life so eloquently. Thank you, my friend ... for taking the time to let us know. You warmed my heart this morning with this note  ... big hugs to you.  
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
17 posted 2001-11-28 11:34 PM

This site is wonderful, and I have no hesitation in bragging about it. I don't know if I've actually "sent" anyone here yet, but I can tell you, I've recommended this site to several young writers. They still choose to hang out in an unmoderated free-for-all room, but that is their choice. I may not always agree with the decisions made here, but I always respect and follow them. I am not a good one to moderate, as I'm afraid I don't get into censorship except self-censorship. But I do enjoy the fact that I can read here without being insulted or bombarded by what I consider vulgarity and shallow selfish thinking, which epitomized much of what was posted on two other sites I previously visited. Anyone could be proud of hanging out in here.
Fee
since 2000-08-07
Posts 381
Melbourne, Australia
18 posted 2001-11-29 01:48 AM

I am honered to be part of passions.

I don't post as often as I should, and time goes by before I get time to drop in, and I really feel empty as the site has a way of making you addicted to it.

Passions has given me a place to become honest with myself.
It has given me a way to write from the heart and so many of the poems that I have had the pleasure of reading have touched me and impacted my life in so many ways.

I am not only Proud of Passions and the honesty and integrity that the site has, but the kindness and warmth portrayed by those who come here, and those who everyday dedicate themselves in ensuring that it stays this way.

It has bought people from all around the world to a place that as you so kindly have put it, A safe haven of a circle of friends.

Luv Fee

Expressions,
are the most important aspects, they create impressions

Titia Geertman
Member Ascendant
since 2001-05-07
Posts 5182
Netherlands
19 posted 2001-12-09 05:20 PM

Before Passions I didn't share my poetry with anyone, just wrote it down when I felt like it, hardly saved it too.

But since May 7th that has changed.

I saw it a challenge to try to write in English and I came to love doing so very much. I know I lack words/synonyms(?) but I don't think that is a real problem.
I just write simple poetry using simple words.

Recently I did send some Dutch poetry to a local person who writes books of proze and poetry. There was an article in the paper that he wanted to do a book of poetry and pics just about this particular area I live in. So I'm curious if he'll think my words and pics are any good.
But doing so I found it hard to write in Dutch again. Isn't that amazing?

I love to be here with all you people but as I have to keep an eye on my telephonebill, I don't think being a DM is good for me, but I   for their work.

Titia

A rose is a rose is a rose...I guess...
Want to use the pics on my website? Just let me know. http://communities.msn.com/Titiasplace  

[This message has been edited by Titia Geertman (edited 12-09-2001).]

Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
20 posted 2001-12-09 05:49 PM

Thanks for all the wonderful feedback Titia and everyone.  

We've been so fortunate to have so many wonderful members sign up for a rotation in the Deputy Mod program. Many think that it's going to take a lot of their time or have set times they need to be online, but everyone soon finds that we don't have any pre-set requirements. We're all online at different times, and everyone just helps out when their own time allows during their rotation.

We have 2 week rotations for: Open, Spiritual, Dark, Teen and Teen Chat. If anyone's interested, we'd be glad to have you pop in for a rotation and see what you think!  

Thanks again everyone!

anonymousfemale
Member Elite
since 2000-02-02
Posts 2797
Limbo
21 posted 2001-12-10 07:35 PM

I am very proud of passions and extremely happy with the DM program. Before signing up for the program I always thought that moderating was a really easy job but when it gets hectic, it gets tedious which is why I have a lot of respect for the moderators now.

I originally came to Passions with three friends. I am the original one out of the four because this place touched me like no other. It's a world inside a world that I am delighted to have found.

~AF~

"Always keep focus on your dreams because most often than not that's all you'll have." - Javier

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Are you proud of Passions? Looking for a little feedback ...

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary