navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Further discussion on flirting, and the 'evil' internet relationship game players!
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Further discussion on flirting, and the 'evil' internet relationship game players! Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL

0 posted 2001-11-05 12:06 PM

Okay..the title "evil internet relationship game players" is perhaps a bit sarcastic from me. Not a good way to start off a discussion, but hey...lol..would ya rather me sugar coat it?    

Mmmkay..before I start, I'd like to say YES I realize it DOES happen, BUT people are also often unfairly labled with that reputation. I'd like to speak more about it below.   I hope everyone can stay on track with this discussion and read THOROUGHYLY everything I have to say as I think I've covered every little detail I could.   If I've missed any point, then let me know. My brain is frazzled from two weeks worth of all day every day stress!  

I wanted to address the issue of flirting that some seem to be so stirred up about. Some are apologizing openly for doing so, and I don't think its necessary to do so unless you feel you've crossed a line. If you feel you've crossed a line, then perhaps the apology should be to the person you feel you crossed it with, and not to the people here at Passions. I'm not berating anyone for doing so, just stating my feelings on it.

There is nothing wrong with harmless flirting because harmless flirting usually means there is a mutual (whether spoken or not) agreement between the two engaged in it that its all in jest or fun.  Anything that goes beyond that should remain the business of whoever is involved. I encourage people not to judge the people who do this though, because can we really tell all of the time on here if we are making a friendly wink at a friend we're joking with or if we're flirting? Unless we have some specific information from the people involved, we really don't know what is going on.(even that sometimes is not accurate) Anything that goes beyond harmless flirting should remain the business of whoever is involved. If we don't truly know the facts (or even if we do) then it really should not be our concern or business. (umm..yeah...here i just think I said the same thing like three times..there are those darned communication skills killed by stress.  )

I understand that there are rumors of Passions in Poetry seductresses and casanovas, but still it is not up to us to protect other people (unless the situation is possibly dangerous, then it would be possibly be up to an admin or webmaster...I'm still studying that one)as they are inclined to do whatever suits them anyway. It is, however, up to us to protect ourselves against this type of thing if we feel the need, by distancing ourselves from it.

I really would encourage people to be a little less inclined point fingers and also a little less swift to judge the interaction, whether flirty or not, here in these forums. Everything is not what it seems, and what is seems is not everything that is happening. Umm..does that mean the same thing?  

Thats all I have to say for now.   Hope someone can make sense of it.  

G'night, and Thankers for reading!

*Jenn*

Sometimes the heart needs the solace of solitude and silence.

© Copyright 2001 Jennifer - All Rights Reserved
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

1 posted 2001-11-05 06:37 AM

My apology was a simple "mea culpa" for a rather risque' reply. I apologized not for flirting, but for disregarding Ron's guidelines. As for rumors? Here, let's start one about me....

Hmmm...

I am actually a 68 year old male psychologist performing an experiment on psychological internet interactions by using the persona of "serenity."

Hey, what can I say? Some people WRITE poetry, and some people ARE poetry!

bwahahahaha.....  

rosepetals25
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-05-31
Posts 3076
PA
2 posted 2001-11-05 07:21 AM

I completely agree with you Jenn. I think what ever goes on between two people is their business.  We sit back and jump to conclusions, not knowing what the real story is sometimes.  Two people could be harmlessly flirting, knowing their limits, knowing where they stand.  

But.. Drama usually prevails. lol.

RSWells
Member Elite
since 2001-06-17
Posts 2533

3 posted 2001-11-05 08:55 AM

I'm certainly in agreement on one point. The name calling and finger pointing from the self righteous who would be our thought police is unnerving. IF someone was close to "crossing the line" then they should have been contacted and the error of their ways pointed out. It's amusing to see who has stepped forward with a bucket of red paint and brush in hand. From what I see one individual's first post at passions was an attack on the "casanova's". I've seen this before...a site starts to factionalize into posses and hanging parties and everyone is dragged down from the noble purpose of our art. One thing I did learn from it was to mind my own business. As you know I keep very much to myself which shouldn't be interpreted as weakness. I'm far too good at anger and came here to get away from it. I hope this is the last we hear from it and prunes, prudes and the pretentious practice poetry and not proliferate polemic preening.
Irish Rose
Member Patricius
since 2000-04-06
Posts 10263

4 posted 2001-11-05 02:41 PM

Hi Jenn.  I'd hate to think all of my therapy has been a waste. I sure don't have all the answers but let me offer this if I may.

A person, man or woman, has free will. They can make a choice. They make that choice to be involved with someone, anyone, on the basis of their judgment of that person's character, what they share in conversation and so on.  Just like in real life except you don't have the inflection, the facial expressions, the body language and so on.

We only know what the other person reveals to us. We may be a mess!  Of course, we don't want anyone to know so we only show our good side. This happens in a lot of relationships (I feel I'm not making any sense here but I'm trying)

Some can handle flirting, some can't. Me?
I am not very good at it!  I come off flat every time, I tried it once!! My problem is I take it all too seriously, which one reason I'm not writing anything right now. I need to get a grip on what's real and what's not. I realize that doesn't make me sound too mature but I'm too serious.

My heart goes out to anyone who is hurt by an internet relationship. But this is and should remain a poetry forum, not a lonely hearts club. Sure, if two people meet, can handle it and are on the same playing field, that's wonderful.  If not, they should know they can't handle it and admit it.

Anyway, it's a subject I hope is laid to rest for awhile, as I, for one am tired of thinking about it!  No offense, sweetie!!!!

I just love poetry and want to one day, be able to read and yes, write without reading more into things than I have done in the past and well...live and let live.

Isn't that what we all should do?

Kathleen
nickname "Kay"

"Others can stop you temporarily, but only you can do it permanently."

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

5 posted 2001-11-05 02:41 PM

Jenn? Are you winking at me?   ROLF
Richard? did any one ever tell you alliterations are very sexy  
Flirt? MOI? not mothy lil ole me  

This place has been, is and will always be a soap opera of emotions and personalities...
If everyone makes an honest effort to follow the rules set by Ron and respect each other and focus on the poetry first .... then we should be able to have fun and be able to weather the rough spots...  for like life...even poetry land will have a few bumps in the road.
We're poets..(almost perfect)not saints    

KIDDING....just kidding....(sometimes ya gotta spell it out)  
peace and poetry my friends.

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
6 posted 2001-11-05 05:10 PM

I have to stay out of this one because everyone knows I never get involved in controversial subjects.  

(duck)

Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL
7 posted 2001-11-05 06:54 PM

Ser,
I wasn't really pointing out any one person's apologies, nor did I assume ALL of them were apologising for being flirts. I'm sorry if I came across that way. Just the ones that were clearly apologizing for flirting...I just think they shouldn't have to feel guilty about it if they aren't doing anything wrong? (and even if they are when they aren't supposed to be, its not up to us to point fingers..etc..etc..You get what I'm say, I'm sure.  
As far as the rumor I JUST KNEW YOU WERE UP TO SOMETHING!! umm..can I help?  

rosepetals25,
Hiya! Thanks for commenting on this. Its good to see you.   And all I have to say is EXACTLY. I mean..yes..maybe we should just not worry what others are saying and ignore it, etc, but what happens when the rumor mill gets to running well enough that it starts to interfere with the personal lives (offline) of anyone involved? That is when rummors begin to distress people I think.

Richard,
I appreciate your thoughts on this, and I totally agree with you.   Yep..you're a keeper to yourselfer, but you know I'll keep bugging you, right?  

Irish Rose,
I understand what you're saying, but you do realize what I'm saying I hope.   Yes, our hearts could go out to anyone hurt by an internet relationship, but usually there are two sides to any story. Often people are too quick to judge when its on on line relationship. Immediately when things don't work out and someone's heart gets broken there are those who jump to conclusion and cast people into the category of that evil internet player person. That is not always the case.

Janet,
Thanks for commenting, really. I had began to wonder about you. I hope things are well. And yes..I'm winking, but at everyone I guess. lol! My winky thingy is stuck!   So, I agree with you. We're not all saints. Flirting whether serious or not should be the business of those involved and not the business of the whole forum.   I don't think discussions like this take away from the poetry though. Sometimes discussion is good for us.  

Local Rebel,
Gee..thanks for the input!      You? avoiding controversial subjects? This from someone who makes a darned good argument in the philosophy forum I'm terrified of. lol! I read there, but never join in. Too much typing when I could be writing poetry! LOL! err...like now? Oh well. I like it all anyways.   Good to see you.  

[This message has been edited by Temptress (edited 11-05-2001).]

Gene
since 2000-01-23
Posts 935
Colorado, USA
8 posted 2001-11-05 07:11 PM

I like to flirt, but I don't want to come across like a dirty old man, I leave that to the Adult forum. LOL  

I think people can figure out if someone is just a harmless flirt by the way he/she says things. I'm careful about who I flirt with and I also know how far i can go without offending someone by the way they flirt and/or respond to me. Although, the problem with the internet is that it's difficult to convey some things in writing. But if you read someone's poetry, you can usually tell what they're like. A lot of unconscious thoughts are conveyed in a preson's writing.  

I've never had a bad experience on the internet, though. Sometimes my flirting has lead to e-mail contact and sometimes it has turned out to be great and other times it's lead nowhere, but it's never been bad.

[This message has been edited by Gene (edited 11-05-2001).]

Irish Rose
Member Patricius
since 2000-04-06
Posts 10263

9 posted 2001-11-05 07:26 PM

of course, Jenn, I know what you mean and you're right, dear.  

Kathleen
nickname "Kay"

"Others can stop you temporarily, but only you can do it permanently."

catalinamoon
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-03
Posts 9543
The Shores of Alone
10 posted 2001-11-05 07:26 PM

Well, for my 10 cents worth, I wish I could flirt with more of the men here, they all seem so fun and romantic. (seem being the operative word, as I have no real idea)
But hey, in my opinion, flirt away, its natural and fun.
Sandra

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
11 posted 2001-11-05 07:29 PM

...serves no purpose...

[This message has been edited by Balladeer (edited 11-05-2001).]

Alyssa
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-05-30
Posts 385
IM ENGAGED!!!!!
12 posted 2001-11-05 08:01 PM

HUH?!

3 out of 5 computers bought today will be physically abused by their owners...

Gene
since 2000-01-23
Posts 935
Colorado, USA
13 posted 2001-11-06 12:18 PM

Balladeer,

Too late...I already read it.   LOL

doreen peri
Member Elite
since 1999-05-25
Posts 3812
Virginia
14 posted 2001-11-06 04:34 PM

people flirt on the internet?

you mean right here at passions in poetry?

you're kidding!!!!!!

Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL
15 posted 2001-11-06 07:39 PM

Nope..not a soul..no one flirts, and no one sticks their two cents in! LOL!  

Sven
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA
16 posted 2001-11-06 09:02 PM

I'm with doreen. . . I'm just. . . well. . . I'm just. . .  . . .

I can't believe it. . . doreen, you didn't tell me that it was like this. . .  . . . and I'd like to go on record that I've never put in my two cents. . . one-and-a-half maybe. . . but never two. . .

------------------------------------------------------

To the world, you may only be one person. But to one person, you may be the world.

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
17 posted 2001-11-07 12:35 PM

Hey, Gene! You've got real quick eyes!!  

Then you can understand my reason for deleting it....best to let some things lay, I suppose. Peace...

RSWells
Member Elite
since 2001-06-17
Posts 2533

18 posted 2001-11-07 01:12 PM

Probably is.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Further discussion on flirting, and the 'evil' internet relationship game players!

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary