navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » What type of force is the Poet/Artist driven by ?
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic What type of force is the Poet/Artist driven by ? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Jon Mewett
since 2000-03-04
Posts 1304

0 posted 2001-10-18 09:11 AM

I often wonder what it is that drives artists and poets to actually practice their particular skills?

Sometimes a poem comes so easy it just seems to be powered by forces outside of control.

Quotes

'I feel I'm just a conduit for these things a vessel that captures it all' Bob Dylan

'These things just happen they flow through you'
Leonard Cohen.

For myself its true I can constuct a poem to say what I want to .....pretty much.. but the best ones just seem to pour out from somewhere unknown.

Does anyone have any ideas on this mystery.?

How do you write YOUR poetry.?

Is it hard or easy.?

Where does it come from?

Over to you guys.

Jon

All these moments
In time
Will be Lost
Like Tears in the rain

[This message has been edited by Jon Mewett (edited 10-18-2001).]

© Copyright 2001 Jon Mewett - All Rights Reserved
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
1 posted 2001-10-18 10:55 AM

Well, the methodology has changed over time for me, since I first took up pen in 89. At first, poetry was cathartic, the overflow of emotions pent inside, dammed up for so long, until a narrow channel of feelings powered the turbine of creativity. However, it was all about me: feelings, thoughts, complaints, dreams, wants, desires.

Then came a time of thought and construction, patiently sitting for hours on end, pen hovering over the page, waiting for the first cinderblocks of creation, building slowly, with many crossing-outs and rewrites structured poetry.

Next were themes. I'd get in the mood for sonnets, and everything would be a sonnet. Shakespearian, Spensarian, Italian, Alicatian...everything penned was 14 lines, 3 quatrains with a rhymed couplet tying it all together. That was the mold my thoughts poured into, usually penning one within minutes. Other themes came and went as well: haiku, senryu, limerick, narrative ode, free, blank, open, graphical layout...they all had their season in the sun.

Now, after 12 years of writing pretty much constantly, I find it hard to write at all. It seems that I've said all I have to say or that there are no words or thoughts I care to share at the moment...but that's just cynical thinking on my part. I've a new method of writing, which is turning out to be a pain in the keister. I dream poetry. It's all there, the thougths, the images, the lines, the words echoing in my head, rewriting on the fly...but unless I wake up quick enough, can find my glasses, find a pen, find my notebook, find a light (these are 3am thoughts), I lose it. It vanishes like fairy gold upon the morning-shine of consciousness.

Come to think of it, writing now is a lot like Catch-and-Release.  

Now, as for the forces which sparks creativity in me....again, it varies. Random thoughts, what ifs, images, snippets of song, a snatch of conversation, coffee, good meal, good sex, boredom, spiritual quickening...there are many variables, which may or may not work. My Muse is flighty, and sometimes forgets to pay her union dues.

Alicat

Jon Mewett
since 2000-03-04
Posts 1304

2 posted 2001-10-18 11:33 AM

Thanks Ali.........your answer pretty much echoes my own thoughts on this matter.......much of my poetry is now observational sought of stuff.......like the one I posted recently 'The Harmonica Man'.....I watched the guy ........lines started to formulate......themes started making their presence felt.....the odd couplet.........I coudn't wait to get back home to start writing....but then I'm never happy with the results........it never seems to be complete.........and after I've posted it it always seems to be total junk......I always think WHO is going to read THAT.

There's a modicom of insecurity in us all I think.......

Thanx again

Stay warm

Jon

All these moments
In time
Will be Lost
Like Tears in the rain

Elizabeth
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 1999-06-07
Posts 6871
Minnesota
3 posted 2001-10-18 12:28 PM

Ali? How do you write an Alicatian sonnet? I may try it someday.  

God bless America, my home sweet home.

Interloper
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-11-06
Posts 8369
Deep in the heart
4 posted 2001-10-18 07:25 PM

I have been writing poetry since the 3rd grade.  Hopefully my skills have been polished.

I, like Alicat, have gone thru stages ... rhymed couplets, free verse, sonnets like Shakespearin, Interlopian (but never Alicatian), Senryu, Haiku, Tanka, etc.

I have not stopped for any great period of time because I like it.  I differ from you in that I write most romantic pieces and, as a result, never seem to run out of material.

I have and do write about observances, but the most fun is to write from inspiration whether I am inspired by another poet here at Passions or by beauty or straight from God.  I believe the ability to write poetry that speaks to people is a skill that few people have. Atleast you can't name very many rich poets.  There are, however, andright her at Passions, poets that can make you laugh, make you sad, make you happy, make you cry (for whatever reason), and elicit other emotions such as anger and fear.

OK, I'll shut up now, except to say that real poets only write for one person ... themselves

Fool, said my Muse to me, look in thy heart and write.

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
5 posted 2001-10-20 06:28 AM

I agree with the "I" ..except I never began to write until Late 1998...and some days it flows with ease, I wake up to it. At the beginning it was triggered by my father's death and such a lost feeling I was having in my own life that I began writing emails to myself when I learned to use a computer and came on line. I fell in love with a poet's words on a site  that September and then turned all my emails into  poems...discovered a place to post them and  enjoyed the comments and requests I began to receive....the need to write was there, the need to feel a part of the world..and as of yet I have not run out of thoughts. Some days though, I just take a break and read...others I change moods and then a poem, two or three may be born. And best of all now, is inspiration or a challenge from friends...and I do like to challenge myself with form, when I have the time.*s

~Wynter/Maureen

"The worst prison would be a closed heart".
...Pope John Paul II

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
6 posted 2001-10-20 07:54 AM

"veerrryyy interesting...."

Jon Mewett
since 2000-03-04
Posts 1304

7 posted 2001-10-20 12:54 PM

Thanx everybody........I too find this very interesting........and very similar to all of my own thoughts on this subject.......it's funny how many things can trigger a 'Poem'.......and also how deep the process of 'creation' can take you into your inner self.....this can sometimes be quite revealing don't you think ?

Jon

All these moments
In time
Will be Lost
Like Tears in the rain

rwood
Member Elite
since 2000-02-29
Posts 3793
Tennessee
8 posted 2001-10-20 01:16 PM

I don't know!...for me it's either the pen or the fingers following the madness of my heart. What comes out I have to piece together sometimes.. and others...I am like Hey!...that makes sense this time!! LOL...and then there is the fibrous content of the heart..and etchings of the soul...the ones that you must relate and convey carefully because it is so important to you. It's a ponderment and paradox...ever changing. I enjoyed this conversation...

Sincerely,
Regina

Charisma
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-09-30
Posts 5906
lost in blue pages
9 posted 2001-10-20 03:11 PM

I started to write early january 2000....yep last year as my heart was full of pain, I couldn't talk about it, and than....I started to write, it flows from my pen just like that.....and the amazing part was that I wrote it in English. Not in my daily nor in my native language. Since than I release my feelings in written words. I shared them with a friend online, and he pushed me to write on and to setup a homepage.

I don't urge myself to write, not sure where it comes from and  all I know is that it comes from within.

Charisma

Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
10 posted 2001-10-20 11:44 PM

I started to write in English 10 (before then I hated poetry) and since then I haven't been able to stop. Most of the time I write about the confusion that I feel almost all the time, but when I'm happy about something, I try to write about it so that when it IS dark in my life I can read the lighter ones and know that it does get better, even if only for a little while at a time. I just wish that I wouldn't have this partial writer's block all the time...

If you define cowardice as running away, tripping and screaming at the first sign of danger, then yes, Mister Brave Man, I guess I am a coward.

sonjes
since 2000-02-18
Posts 564
North Carolina
11 posted 2001-10-20 11:57 PM

My poetry has always come to me in times of need.
   I started dabbling when I was seven, just because I could. Then, it became tiresome. I did not really seriously pick it up until twelve years ago when a close friend of my cousin's died and I began to question my own mortality.
   Now, to this day, I use poetry to question things I do not know. Even my poetry in adult is mostly an exploration. I am always wondering how far I can push it. I really do wonder about the things that I write...I play things out in my mind, whether they be real or fantasy...they all have an element of fiction in them.
   I find that everything in my life can be embellished to make it interesting.  
   Am I horribly off topic? Please forgive my ramblings if I am.

Don't care what people say
Just follow your own way
Don't give up and use the chance
To return to innocence.
           -Enigma

Jon Mewett
since 2000-03-04
Posts 1304

12 posted 2001-10-21 03:39 AM

Sonjes.......no your not off topic.....its so interesting that coming out of this discussion is that most of us use poetry as a sort of release......a safety valve for frusration and all those sorts of things.

I have heard it said that the artists job is to be a reflection of all that's around him/her.....to be an instigator and an informer for all that is right and wrong.

So I supppose it's this need to act that's drives some of us?

Jon

All these moments
In time
Will be Lost
Like Tears in the rain

[This message has been edited by Jon Mewett (edited 10-21-2001).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » What type of force is the Poet/Artist driven by ?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary