navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Now What??
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Now What?? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
catalinamoon
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-03
Posts 9543
The Shores of Alone

0 posted 2001-10-07 04:31 PM

I know I am not the only one saying this. But I feel so confused. I don't want the perpetrators of our recent disaster to be allowed to carry on. But I can't stand the results of what we are doing now either. More innocents lost, how will this help. How can it help? I see only more trouble, more terrorism. And I have to say that I was subjected(by my own idiocy) to watch Bin Laden on tv, discussing the attacks on the US,(praising God for them) and calling us terrorists, and I nearly had to throw something at the TV. Apparently he blames us for the Palestinian and Israeli problem, I fail to see how? I have never paid so much attention to foreign policy, but now I am, and it is more scary than I was afraid of. The worst thing is that there are 1000 followers of that man hiding around the US right now. I'm sure they are REAL delighted to see the news. Can anyone guess what is next? I don't think it is going to be good. I have been seeking to find a positive space in my life, and it is rapidly disintigrating today.
Aack! I want to go back to being naive..
Peace everyone..a hopeless thought, but there it is.
Sandra

© Copyright 2001 Sandra - All Rights Reserved
rwood
Member Elite
since 2000-02-29
Posts 3793
Tennessee
1 posted 2001-10-07 07:38 PM

It is confusing. I just have to keep busy and keep doing the things I love to do. If I stand still too long I get too involved in the news or the radio or the what ifs.

I watched a very gruesome movie today...Hannibal. Very strange how on the most wanted list along with Hannibal Lector was Ben Laden..even in a dang movie from last year! Unless they slid that one in on me due to recent happenings. I couldn't watch the movie anyway...it was too much for me. So I tried to work on my web site. Yours is so awesome. Maybe I could ask you for some pointers and get our minds off this. If you have any time or would like to.
Hang in there Sandra. There have been many changes...but we will find a sense of normalcy again.  Hugs to you.

Sincerely,
Regina

Duncan
Member Ascendant
since 2001-08-07
Posts 5455

2 posted 2001-10-07 09:51 PM

The first week, I was obsessed.  Cleaned my house as if I were possesed, all the while the TV never leaving one of the news channels.
Second week, I needed to feel something  even close to normal, again.  But it felt selfish to want anything at all.
Third week, I rented some videos with a friend.  Hannibal was one of them and I, too shook my head at the sick coincidence of Bin Laden's name on the screen.
A kind of numbness, detachment has set in now.  I feel bad about that, but it's always seemed to be part of the process I go through when dealing with change.
Though tonight, on the news, a woman was asked her opinion on today's military strike in Afghanastan and she answered with strength and commitment but she cried the whole time.  And it broke my heart all over again.  
Our rhetoric is firm, as it should be.  Our response is neccesary, though war should not be embraced as a way of settling every dispute.
I'm rambling and I didn't really want to think about this.  Guess I needed to.  
It's confusing for us all.  A small comfort but you're not alone.

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
3 posted 2001-10-07 11:11 PM

Uh, I can understand why Bin Laden would stick out for you.

But it's no coincidence or prescience in the movie.

He's been wanted for a while now.

Brad

Gene
since 2000-01-23
Posts 935
Colorado, USA
4 posted 2001-10-08 01:40 PM

I think everyone is confused. It would be nice to think that if we didn't retaliate, then they would just leave us alone. I was always taught "two wrongs don't make a right."  That's what a rational and logical person would think, but that's not reality. Bin Laden and other terrorists are not rational and as Thomas Jefferson once said, "you can not deal rationally with an irrational person."  The terrorists will continue their attacks regardless of how "nice" anyone is. They have no regard or sense of humanity towards anyone--not even their own kind. They (all terrorists) have to be stopped. We can not allow ourselves to live in constant fear. I believe there will be further terrorist attacks on the U.S. until we completely eradicate this menace.

---

Gene
(formerly, u_gene)

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
5 posted 2001-10-08 11:29 PM

Catalina -- I'm archiving articles that may help explain things at my site -- plus my own commentary.. if you'll go to
http://www.geocities.com/nighthawke700/index4.htm#Are Then scroll down to the article "Are We Ready for a Forever War?"
that may help explain our involvement in the long standing Palestinian/Isreali conflict -- but don't feel bad -- most Americans have never paid any attention to foreign policy -- you're not alone

also on this page: http://www.geocities.com/nighthawke700/terrorism_insurrection.htm  are  some links to some especially good articles that can help explain the entire Islamic world.

Unfortunatly -- I'm sad to report to you also that bin Laden does not have 1000 followers -- the last estimates on the size of al Qieda was around 30,000 World Wide.  This does not include Islamic Jihad, an Egyptian based terrorist network that is closely linked to bin Laden now, or Hisbulah -- a Lebanese based group.

In round numbers of Islamic sympathizers with bin Laden the number is probably close to half a billion -- we have to move very carefully right now and keep our 'bombing them with butter' policy intact.

We're doing everything we can to provide support to Afghan refugees and the general population at large there -- but this is far from over.

You're doing the right thing though -- just continue to arm yourself with knowledge -- the better we know and understand Islam the better we can help them get to know us (and the more involved we can get with our elected officials in the pursuit of policy).

Peace

[This message has been edited by Local Rebel (edited 10-08-2001).]

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

6 posted 2001-10-09 06:43 AM

I have to do this - I have to stir a can of worms. SOLELY because of what I have been taught, what I understand. The following statement is not a justification.

Sadly, they are rational. Yup - those terrorists are highly rational beings, capable of planning such acts with enormous intelligence and foresight. It is just that we do not share their rationality, and find it - and I think justly so - abhorrent. But for all its abhorrence, we can't remove the rationality from the actions. To terrorists, their actions are absolutely rational...most terrorists - past and present - are not people we would label insane (from a Western definition of insane anyway).

Sorry - had many discussions of rationality of late.

You know, I wish this could all be solved without conflict. Tonight, I heard that four UN workers had been killed in Kabul. Wonderful. Interesting how my news bulletin didn't mention if any Afghan civilians had been killed. It's just really sad - all of it.

K

[This message has been edited by Severn (edited 10-09-2001).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Now What??

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary