navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Why didn't anybody tell me...
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Why didn't anybody tell me... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Allan Riverwood
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-01-04
Posts 3502
Winnipeg

0 posted 2001-08-30 12:48 PM

... about James Joyce?  I'm reading Ulysses at the moment and I'm spellbound!  It's having a VERY profound effect on both the way I view literature and my own personal writing style.  I'm learning so much and being inspired so greatly, he's dragged me back where I belong in the writing world!
What are your thoughts on James Joyce, PIP?  Does anyone else agree with me that his writing is absolutely astonishing?
I think EVERYONE should read Ulysses.
Sorry, this is just an excited thread by an excited little boy who's found an idol.     James Joyce is my new hero!

© Copyright 2001 Brian James Lee - All Rights Reserved
Sven
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA
1 posted 2001-08-30 12:56 PM

well. . . I see that we've got something else in common Allan. . .  

I have loved James Joyce for a while now. . . the first that I read from him was "Dubliners" which just totally amazed me. . . from there, I moved on to other things. . . but not Ulysses. . . hmmmm. . .perhaps that will be something that I take a look at. . .

BUT, if you really want to tackle something for your enjoyment and something that will make you think for years and years to come. . . you must read "Finnegan's Wake". . . this masterpiece of literature has amazed, astounded, and utterly confused readers and scholars alike since its beginnings. . . took me about 4 months to get through it. . . and that was with about 2 or 3 additional texts to help explain it all to me. . .  

So, enjoy and let us know what you think of it. . .

---------------------------------------------------------------------

To the world, you may only be one person. But to one person, you may be the world.

Dopey Dope
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2000-08-30
Posts 11132
San Juan, Puerto Rico
2 posted 2001-08-30 02:18 PM

Allan, I am sorry but I am book deprived hehe. I wouldn't know anything about James Joyce, but i am happy that you're back into the writing scene and look forward to reading some.  
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Why didn't anybody tell me...

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary