navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » the best part of being a poet.
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic the best part of being a poet. Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland

0 posted 2001-05-26 01:53 PM

I am curious to find out what is everyone's favourite perk/ part of being a poet.
Is it the invites to celebrity dinners, signing autographs for thousands of screaming fans,
The stretched limos, the beautiful models (both male and female. I am speaking to both male and female poets here). The respect of countless depressed teenagers who spend all night pouring over your sonnets and verses then write ten page letters to say that they really "dig" and "relate" to you.   Is it the invites on to Leno or Letterman? I would love to here what is everyone's favourite part of being a poet.

Hang on a sec……… Leno, fans, adoration, wide spread respect for our work, screaming fans,
Could I be confusing poets with rock stars?

"you are what you own in this land, you can be king and it all depends on the view and what you can see"  Whipping boy

© Copyright 2001 brian madden - All Rights Reserved
Skyfyre
since 1999-08-15
Posts 1906
Sitting in Michael's Lap
1 posted 2001-05-26 02:46 PM

Ok, Brian, you may have intended this thread as a joke, but for once I'm going to take something seriously ...

The first thing that came to mind is that I believe a poet is both more appreciative and more -- well, "deserving," I shall say, for lack of a better word -- of the beautiful and poignant things in life.  Poets tend to notice subtle things that non-poets would overlook ... and often not only notice, but cherish them.  As to my latter assertion, I have always held that the most deserving person is the one who most appreciates what he/she has ...

As an example ... read some of Kamla's poetry for the (startlingly NON-cliche LOL) imagery, or the unique descriptions of emotion.  Read doreen peri for a one-of-a-kind perspective on her singular human condition.  Read Brad if you want to see the ordinary rendered extraordinary.  Read Poertree or Not A Poet if you want to see the clumsiness of language woven into something like a song ...

I could go on -- I've only listed a few of my favorites, and then only those at Passions ... I didn't even MENTION the famous poets who share similar talents.  I admire these and all other poets for bringing us a tiny step closer to the heart of the matter, whatever the matter may be.  
Linda

... what if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about ...?

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
2 posted 2001-05-26 03:13 PM

Yes Linda it was meant as a joke, but in the arts poetry is often treated like decaf coffee.

There is still such a stigmata attached to poetry, publishers wouldn't take risks with poetry because it does not sell,
there are millions of unpublished poets out there.

I love poetry and thank god for the internet and for Passions we need this place THank you Ron. It is like a wildlife preserve, poets protected and allow to be expressive in their natural habitat.

I just get annoyed that these days the arts everything is capital a produce to sell. If no one will buy it then sorry son, never mind the fact that someone poured hours years into their art. I look at all the bands out there and listening to the lyrics makes me want to puke and this is considered art.

I would just like to see poetry get more respect. Though I guess it is never going to happen, Slyvia Plath died poor, Jim Morrison's poetry book was a flop in his life time.

Anyway just something I had to get off my chest.

"you are what you own in this land, you can be king and it all depends on the view and what you can see"  Whipping boy

Dopey Dope
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2000-08-30
Posts 11132
San Juan, Puerto Rico
3 posted 2001-05-26 04:17 PM

I'm a poet, I guess and I have no fans...no nothing.
My favorite perk is simply the satisfaction of getting my inner thoughts out in creative ways.

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

4 posted 2001-05-26 08:49 PM

Poetry sells!

I got $20 for one of mine! It changed my whole life!!! I could afford new socks - I used one to plug up the hole in my garret wall and the other as a bed for my pet rat...

My perk is that I get to sound all mystical and get lots of weird looks when I say I'm a poet heh. Here's an interesting thing - on my creative course at uni there are a few engineering students and Bcom students..weird eh. It's sad - the engineer has been studying for 6 years and he isn't even going to use his degree cause he doesn't like it - how depressing is that?

K

Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL
5 posted 2001-05-27 12:33 PM

Did someone say MALE MODELS? WHERE??  

I LIKE THE MALE MODELS!
ohh...and NO AUTOGRAPHS PLEASE!
*flushes as the cameras flash and the crowd murmurs in awe*

Ohh..
That was a dream?
Geesh...

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
6 posted 2001-05-27 12:11 PM

DD I agree that is the best part of being a poet, it is why we are all poets.

K, I got the money prize thing once invested it and as it turns I could live happily and comfortably off the interest in about 500 years. OH JOY. I just wish that there was a village  a community of poets artists even if they are all pompous pseudo intellects  at least they would make the effort to understand or pretend to understand.

-------------------------
POET: Look family I wrote a poem

"lets read it" chorus family,

five mins later blank expressions....

"what is it about?" chorus family

POET: It is about me.. life my inner most emotions that I can't put into words....

"OH" chorus family

POET: Nevermind

"Oh no it is lovely, we'll stick it on the fridge" chorus family

---------

Where as pseudo intellect scenerio

(We shall name the pseudo intellect
Tony, in homage to the great Tony the lecturer at my college).

POET: Look pseudo intellect I wrote a poem.

pseudo intellect:  "give it here"

Tony P.I: Bloody hell, you call this expressing your feelings, explain the influences your thoughts on this.

explanation given

Tony P.I: "As a pseudo intellect I suggest to first read the entire words of Keats, Milton cross reference with Kavanagh, Auden and Yeats before you even consider EXPRESSING your emotions".

Poet, crushed, cowering in the presence of genius "but this poem is about my emotions, my feelings."

Tonu P.I "feelings never come into poetry, be abstract, filmic look at neo realism, new wave, beat blah blah blah blah.

Poet "how about a poem like this

I have a cat he is brown
he licks his himself and chokes on fur balls
gags then reels in agony before suffering a seizure and dying in a pool of his own vomit.!"

Tony P.I " yes you have something there, a post modern reference. Work on it"

-------------------------

Sorry went on a rant there. phew I am calm all is calm.

-----
Temptress, male models. sorry I was kidding about them, there shall be no male models.

[This message has been edited by brian madden (edited 05-27-2001).]

anonymous albert ?
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-03-23
Posts 2979

7 posted 2001-05-27 01:04 PM

"dopey walks in*...and says..."im the MALE MODEL...cant you see...my sexiness?"...
Marshalzu
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-02-15
Posts 2681
Lurking
8 posted 2001-05-27 02:27 PM

Good one Albert...
Acies
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-07
Posts 7665
Twilight Zone
9 posted 2001-05-27 03:43 PM

What perks?  

I'm so sorry for doubting you Kit ... please forgive me!!!!

Dopey Dope
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2000-08-30
Posts 11132
San Juan, Puerto Rico
10 posted 2001-05-27 09:12 PM

Well he said it, not me  
Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL
11 posted 2001-05-28 04:10 AM

Brian,
WHAT? No male models? TEASE! hmmmpphh!!  

Did I mention that I LOVE your ranting..particularly the last part of it? Drive me insane, that does.

Best part of being a poet, eh? hmmm....My friend, there are just simply too many exquisite parts to pick just one. I have a passion and drive for it, and that is all I know these days.

still d-i-s-c-o-n-n-e-c-t-e-d
I am bound by this, you see...to become Night's sole mistress, and I am jealous in my endeavours for his attention.

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

12 posted 2001-05-28 06:25 AM

Brian: My response..from a non-pseudo intellectual viewpoint...

UNRESTRAINED ROTFLMAO

"putting on fridge...oh laughing laughing..."

~K gives Brian  ~

Oh yes...nevermind emotion. One must be minimalistic...one must say something deep and meaningful about the world without saying anything at all.

And stuff metaphor.

Heh.

K

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
13 posted 2001-05-28 01:28 PM

Albert, so you are Dopey's agent for his modeling career. I was wondering who it was.

acire, my point exactly

Temptress, you love my ranting... finally a fan   some one I can subject to my constant raving of nonsense.... be afraid be very afraid.

Kamla, I think those two icons belong in adult.... get a room you guys !!!!!!!!!

"one must say something deep and meaningful about the world without saying anything at all". could not agree more.  

Marshalzu
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-02-15
Posts 2681
Lurking
14 posted 2001-05-28 04:24 PM

The best part of being a poet is the free beer... or is that being a barman... ?
brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
15 posted 2001-05-28 04:31 PM

that would being a bar man.....

though being a poet you have an excuse to be an alcoholic. IT frees your creative train of thought

Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL
16 posted 2001-05-28 06:40 PM

Afraid? LOL! I think not!  

Hmmm...
Interesting thought on alchohol, Brian.  

*runs out to stock up her cabinet*

FINALLY! An excuse to get toasted! LOL! err...seriously..I don't drink that much, and when I do drink, having too much, I often get too tired to write or I can't see the page for the blur! LOL!

[This message has been edited by Temptress (edited 05-28-2001).]

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
17 posted 2001-05-28 06:48 PM

all depends on what you drink, I find whiskey
must be "Jamesons whiskey" you have to drink irish whiskey we know our alcohol.

ON the subject of alcohol here is some good news  

---------

A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And
when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and the weakest ones at  the
back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd
as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps
improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as
the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol we all know, kills
brain cells, but naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells
first.
In this way, the regular comsumption of beer eliminates the weaker
brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And
that's why you always feel smarter after a few beers!!

Skyfyre
since 1999-08-15
Posts 1906
Sitting in Michael's Lap
18 posted 2001-05-28 06:55 PM

Personally I think the cat poem was sheer genius, brian ... maybe you SHOULD work on it ... hehe

The dialogues were priceless ... I've met a few Tony PI's in my time, I fear.

I have no idea, however, WHAT you were thinking when you tried to read a poem to family ... you know there's only one intelligent person born every 5 generations, don't you...?  It's a sad fact of genetics ...

Linda

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
19 posted 2001-05-28 07:08 PM

Linda, I hope that you read the cat poem backwards while drunk and standing upside down, it only makes sense that way.

I know, but a bit of family support is nice, I tricked myself into thinking that we would all sit down and have a lively debate both the poem, that would encompass the human condition and life in our times. Of course I forgot the reality.

"you know there's only one intelligent person born every 5 generations"

That would be my brother then, he robbed me
I want those smart gens. those are my birthright!!!!! I guess I got the artistic gens beside Linda there are many different types of intelligence a fool can perform great things when given the chance.

catalinamoon
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-03
Posts 9543
The Shores of Alone
20 posted 2001-05-28 09:25 PM

Hey Brian, before this thread went off on a really funny turn, I have to say I was agreeing with you completely. It is so frustrating. Have you ever really looked at what the published poets in various magazines are paid? A free copy of the mag and $5 if you're lucky. Hey I made $15 once, I felt like a high roller.
I decided some time ago, that I should have been trying to publish in the 70's, (I actually was writing then  LOL, but too scared to show anyone) This is not a time for poets,evidently, except on the internet, where we RULE.
Side note, I wrote a poem for my Mom and Grandma on mothers day, and they both got misty. My Mom at first thought I had found this poem and was wondering how come it applied to her so well. When I told her I wrote it she cried. So there was one of the rare perks. The only other one has been meeting everyone at Passions. Makes it all worthwhile, I say  
Sandra

Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL
21 posted 2001-05-29 01:42 AM

Interesting reasoning, Brian!  

Works for me!
*restocks her cabinet*

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
22 posted 2001-05-29 01:20 PM

Sandra the only way I can look at this is with humour because all the odds are tsacked against us. Among all the poets in Passions only a small few would be published if we all submitted manuscripts, by this I don't mean that everyone has no talent far from it but the odds are stacked against us that people who have being writing poetry for many years, due to their experience, would stand a far better chance.

anyway ranting here, but you are right the two reasons you listed do make poetry worth while  

Temptress, I will drink to that    

I wish my parents could share my poetry but we operate on different wave lengths most of the time.

Besides poetry is never about money firstly because it is not profitable

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » the best part of being a poet.

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary