navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » A question for all.........(am curious)
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic A question for all.........(am curious) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Just A Woman
since 2001-03-10
Posts 507

0 posted 2001-05-14 06:45 PM

How many of you write in personal journals?  

And if you do....how open and such are you and are your journals kept private?

Are there things you wouldn't write simpily because it might offend someone if they someday read it?

"I can't remember if I'm the good twin or the evil one."

© Copyright 2001 Just A Woman - All Rights Reserved
Sven
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA
1 posted 2001-05-14 07:10 PM

I do. . . have for a while now. . . off and on. . . have just started again recently. . .

I'm totally honest and open in them. . . have to be, because if you can't be honest with yourself, who can you be honest with??

In an ideal situation, my journals are my own thoughts. . . not meant for anyone else's eyes. . .but, there have been times that they've been seen. . . and those times were awkward, at best. . . *sigh*. . .

And no, there's nothing that I wouldn't say in them because of what someone might find. . . most of the time, I write so quickly and in such a furious and fast script that no one can read it. . . not even me!  LOL

I feel that every poet and writer should keep a journal. . . you never know when an idea will pop out of your head onto the page. . . I've found a lot of my poems this way. . . just from something that I've written in my Jounrals.

And yes, I do them in longhand. . . not on the computer. . . while the computer is faster, for me, there's nothing like seeing the words spill out of me onto the page. . . you know???

Thanks. . . great question. . .  

----------------------------------------------------------------

To the world, you may only be one person. But to one person, you may be the world.

White Wolf
since 1999-09-18
Posts 371
Somewhere in the vast wasteland
2 posted 2001-05-14 07:30 PM

A journal?  No, not in the traditional sense anyway.  I usually just store it in my head or write little bits down on scraps of paper I keep in a box.  As to what I write, anything and everything.  Most of my poetry has a common theme and one source.  Each one of my friends and when I do have a girlfriend know who that inspiration is.  I also consider my poetry to a living journal.  Most of the girlfriends I have had like my poetry but they often distance thereselves from me because of it.  I am also a very open and honest person.  Ask me a question and I will answer it honestly leaving nothing out.

The White Wolf

If life is just a game, when does it end cause I want to get to what is real.

PhaerieChild
since 1999-08-30
Posts 1787
Aloha, Oregon
3 posted 2001-05-14 08:52 PM

I have a journal that I keep on CD. It will hopefully one day be an autobiog but I keep it very private (in a lockbox)and I am very open and honest when I write to it. No one else ever messes with my computer so I don't worry about anyone finding anything they shouldn't.

How can you save me?
When the dark comes right in and takes me,
from my front walk and into bed,
where it kisses my face and eats my head. Shivaree

Spice
since 2001-04-13
Posts 1266
Resting in my cardboard box.
4 posted 2001-05-14 08:59 PM

I used to when I was a little kid- but not at all anymore. If I did I probably wouldn't write much. I like everything of mine to be completely private...I don't trust poeple... So I wouldn't want someone to read my journal and know my personal life.
Elizabeth
Member Ascendant
since 1999-06-07
Posts 6871
Minnesota
5 posted 2001-05-14 10:12 PM

Oh, yeah, I do. I started it April 16th of this year and have a few entries. I've found it comes in handy to vent to or just to write incidents down, so as to remember them for later.

As of now, I'd never let anyone see it. My very first entry, in fact, is a long vent session because one of my friends really pissed me off that day. I have too many opinions to let anyone besides me read this.  

Dusk Treader
since 1999-06-18
Posts 1187
St. Paul, MN
6 posted 2001-05-14 10:26 PM

I don't have a journal per se, but I do have a notebook to hold all my rants and painful thoughts... If I don't write them down they circle around in my head and prey on my sanity. I'll just keep thinking the same dark thought over and over until it's the only thing I have left in my mind.. So I need the release.

"There's nowhere to set my aim
So I'm everywhere" - Dream Theater

inot2B
Member Elite
since 2000-09-18
Posts 2205
Arkansas
7 posted 2001-05-14 11:58 PM

I think of writing in a journal as putting down what is happening in your mind.
No, my thoughts are my own. If I put down my deepest, maybe even darkest thoughts then I would only worry that someone might find it and read. I've been told I'm paranoid so that might be why.

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

8 posted 2001-05-15 12:47 PM

Unreliably....

on and off...this and that lol.

They are very private.

K

Dopey Dope
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2000-08-30
Posts 11132
San Juan, Puerto Rico
9 posted 2001-05-15 02:36 AM

I have a book that i put everything. Nobody is allowed to read it, period....so i write what I want.

banburycross
since 2001-03-27
Posts 946
viginia
10 posted 2001-05-15 04:42 PM

i keep a journal that also contains a lot of the poetry that i write, so i share the poetry that's in there but not the actual day entry type things

Sometimes, the things that go unsaid are the only things worth hearing.

Jesse Jaymz
since 2000-01-24
Posts 708
Youngstown, ohio
11 posted 2001-05-19 08:57 AM

i keep one on and off.  and its on disk.  no one reads it for it contains the real me and i think if people see that they would run.  see my poetry is the real me.  and no one beleaves it.  so if they seen my journal they might really run away  

And I cry to the alleyway
Confess all to the rain
But I lie straight to the mirror
The one I've broken to match my face

JLR
since 2001-02-04
Posts 1785

12 posted 2001-05-20 02:00 AM

Yeah, sure...I'm going to write this stuff down!  Where anyone I know might pick it up in boredom one day and read it.  I may as well post it in some poetry site on the internet...oh wait, oh no!  
since 2000-04-26
Posts 113
Amherst, MA, USA
13 posted 2001-05-20 01:28 PM

It's funny that I read this today, because just yesterday I wrote in big letters at the top of my journal entry: THE BEGINNING. That means the beginning of non-censorship, of being honest with myself. I write every day, and if I don't it feels wrong. I used to be completely open in my journals, having confidence that I was the only one reading. But then my boyfriend started expressing interest in reading my journal, for all the "right reasons," like he wanted to hear what was going on inside me that I couldn't express to him. I didn't have the heart to say no, so I said maybe some other time. After that I began writing for him. Everything I was thinking of writing I had to run through my boyfriend-filter. Sometimes I wrote to impress him, sometimes I wrote to send him a message, sometimes I left things out because they would hurt him or because they were embarrassing to me. My journal became a part of my image instead of a part of my internal world. He finally read it a few weeks ago and I still felt uncomfortable, even knowing I had been prepared for him to read it all. So I learned my lesson. Next time he asks I'll say no. It's a little hard to get used to, after months of writing for him, but I know deep down that I should write for me.

Packratmike
since 2001-02-25
Posts 632
California, USA
14 posted 2001-05-20 01:55 PM

I have no need or desire to keep a journal...my deepest secrets are kept within me.  I can review them whenever and wherever I wish...without fear of them being discovered. Those that I choose to share, I write about...poems, stories, letters.

Mike

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
15 posted 2001-05-21 03:35 AM

I write in a personal journal - and I don't give a hoot who gets offended by what's in it.  It's my "personal" thoughts and if someone gets offended by it, well they only have themselves to blame for reading were they shouldn't have been to begin with.  

Jsut my two,

Michael

catalinamoon
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-03
Posts 9543
The Shores of Alone
16 posted 2001-05-21 10:17 PM

Yes and no. Right now, I am keeping only a dream journal, but I have off and on kept a daily thoughts journal. I don't usually censor it, though I do hide it.  
Sandra

anonymousfemale
Member Elite
since 2000-02-02
Posts 2797
Limbo
17 posted 2001-05-22 10:31 AM

I have a massive notebook that I call my journal and no one reads it. I did have an actual journal from my childhood until a few weeks ago when I erased my past and burnt it. Best thing I ever did.

~AF~

Stupidity killed the cat. Curiosity was framed.
~ Unknown ~

since 2000-04-26
Posts 113
Amherst, MA, USA
18 posted 2001-05-22 10:50 AM

Hey AF, ever heard the song "Smoke" by Ben Fold's Five? Reminds me so much of what you did. Why did you do it? I want to hear more.

Leaf by Leaf page by page
                                          Throw this book away
                                      All the sadness all the rage
                                          Throw this book away
                                   Rip out the binding, tear the glue
                                   All of the grief we never ever knew
                                           We had it all along

Now its smoke
                                     The things we've written in it
                                          Never really happened
                                     All of the people come and gone
                                           Never really lived
                                  All of the people have come have gone

No one to forgive smoke
                                      We will never write a new one
                                       There will not be a new one
                                        Another one, another one
                                    Here's an evening dark with shame
                                          Throw it on the fire
                                    here's the time I took the blame
                                          Throw it on the fire
                                     Here's the time we didn't speak
                                      it seemed for years and years
                                             Here's a secret
                                       No one will ever know the
                                         realsons for the tears
                                             They are smoke

Where do all the secrets live
                                         They travel in the air
                                    You can smell them when they burn
                                               They travel
                                   Those who say the past is not dead
                                        Stop and smell the smoke
                                 You keep on saying the past is not dead
                                       Come on and smell the smoke
                                You keep saying the past is not even past
                                             You keep saying
                                              We are, smoke

StarrGazer
since 2000-03-05
Posts 679
Texas
19 posted 2001-05-23 01:57 PM

I have several journals that I've written... I write them for myself so I often can be honest and sometimes down right brutal and I don't really want the people who become the victims of my words to read them but ... people are so curious I've had several people read things they didnt want to hear because curiosity overcame them and they couldn't help snooping so now I put a warning on the first page and don't feel so bad if they read something that offends them now... they had notice of what it contains ... I also burned my childhoood journal it seemed so ... well childish and didnt seem like much besides liking a different boy every week etc ... and I prefer my journals now to be more indepth and un-shallow
Just A Woman
since 2001-03-10
Posts 507

20 posted 2001-05-23 06:55 PM

Thank you, everyone, for the responses to this.  To me, if I can't write freely in a journal it rather looses the point, but the fear, I suppose, of who might get their hands on it is a little disconcerting.  All my secrets!    
You've given me much to ponder and I thank you for that.  

SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
21 posted 2001-05-23 10:10 PM

I used to write faithfully in a journal.....it got read.....I felt so violated.....not to mention betrayed....I haven't since then.....I keep my thoughts private.....well, except for my poetry, I share that now with the world LOL.....
Sven
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA
22 posted 2001-05-24 12:59 PM

That's a good point. . . how do you make sure that your journals aren't seen by anyone?  And if they are. . . how do you let the person that read them know how you feel about that?

I've had my journals read before. . . and wasn't really happy about having to defend what I said in them. . . how do you handle that???

-------------------------------------------------------------

To the world, you may only be one person. But to one person, you may be the world.

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

23 posted 2001-05-24 09:54 PM

Hmm...I have to remind myself that no one will be checking this and it's ok to make a spelling mistake once in awhile hahaha...

K

Just A Woman
since 2001-03-10
Posts 507

24 posted 2001-05-25 03:27 PM

I like that idea of the warning on the first page. And clever hiding places, I suppose, help.   People are endlessly curious though.  I suppose the one and only solution would be LIVE ALONE!   *smiling*
Sven
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA
25 posted 2001-05-25 06:23 PM

no. . . that's not good either. . . because what happens when you forget where you put your journal???  

----------------------------------------------------------

bslicker
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-04
Posts 2321
state of mind
26 posted 2001-05-26 03:30 AM

No journal here, they cannot make the paper fast enough for me to start writing in one.

A smile a day keeps the world in smile's.
Bernie Slicker

anonymousfemale
Member Elite
since 2000-02-02
Posts 2797
Limbo
27 posted 2001-05-26 01:53 PM

This is for 7 from ages ago. I burnt it because I kept reading it all the time and kept getting extremely upset so rather than relive the crap, I got rid of it. It had to be burnt to be fully destroyed.
Oh and BFF are great.  

~AF~

"I'm not a slave to a God that doesn't exist."
Manson - The Fight Song

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
28 posted 2001-05-29 01:36 PM

poetry is my personal journal, besides I would only be tempted to moun and would be overtly honest and would no doubt end up hurting some one. MY thought prcess is too erratic for an autobiography, besides I like to keep some secrets to keep what is in my head where it is.

"you are what you own in this land, you can be king and it all depends on the view and what you can see"  Whipping boy

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » A question for all.........(am curious)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary