navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Cut it short why dontcha?
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Cut it short why dontcha? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration

0 posted 2000-03-08 04:09 AM

I find few occurances in this world less frustrating, than reading a well written, gripping tale, only to have it stop short. And why, just because the author hasn't written anything else? Like that's a valid excuse! I demand that they keep the incredible writing coming... to be excused only if they're dead!

© Copyright 2000 C.G. Ward - All Rights Reserved
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
1 posted 2000-03-08 07:38 AM

LOL - You're killing us here, Christopher..
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
2 posted 2000-03-08 08:08 AM

Nan thinks you're being funny, Christopher. But I know exactly what you mean. I'm currently in the middle of six different series, by six different authors, all waiting for a conclusion. There would probably be more, but I've stopped buying the first book in a series until after I've seen the last book hit the stands.

Robert Jordan is by far the worst offender!

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
3 posted 2000-03-08 08:18 AM

ARRRGGGHHH @ Robert Jordan.  His last book wasn't about anything! The Wheel of Time goes on and on and on and on and on.  Ron, if you haven't read Tad Williams (Memory, Sorrow & Thorn series) then I highly recommend it.  Also waiting on the sequal to "A Canticle for Liebowitz" ... and waiting ... and waiting.  

But far worse than no ending is a lousy ending.  Orson Scott Card killed me with his conclusion to his Earthbound novels and ... I can't remember his name ... author of "Wizard's First Rule" dropped the ball big time.  But you feel obligated to continue reading thinking, "This just HAS to get better."  And of course it doesn't and you have $75.00 worth of lousy paperbacks sitting in your bookshelf.

Why did you have to go and ruin my day, Christopher.!?!  

Jim

[This message has been edited by jbouder (edited 03-08-2000).]

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
4 posted 2000-03-08 08:51 AM

I think Terry Goodkind was the author of Wizard's First Rule? Yea, I've hit all of those, Jim, except for the Earthbound series. Card burnt me on his Ender's series, so I stopped there.  

The other Terry (Brooks) also has a new series - and I'm forcing myself to stay away until it's completed.

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
5 posted 2000-03-08 09:09 AM

Goodkind is the one.  You are right about Terry Brooks too.  I read the first Shanara novel when I was in 7th grade (18 years ago) and I think I finished reading his most recent "First King of Shanara" a little more than a year ago.  Talk about a wait!  Didn't realize he had a new series, though ... my wife may well be putting me back on book restriction soon.    

Later.

Jim

Skyfyre
since 1999-08-15
Posts 1906
Sitting in Michael's Lap
6 posted 2000-03-08 10:12 AM

Um -- guilty!

Yes, I have ranted, raved, and sworn at the authors -- but then again I have to think about my OWN writing, and how I sometimes leave a story stewing for longer than I'd like to admit -- and it usually calms me a bit.  There are SO many books available in every genre nowadays, I figure there are plenty of things to keep me occupied whilst the author I really WANT to read gets around to finishing the next part of the tale!    

--Kess
< !signature-->

Full fathom five thy father lies,
Of his bones are coral made,
Those are pearls that were his eyes;
Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange...

--William Shakespeare, from The Tempest

[This message has been edited by Skyfyre (edited 03-08-2000).]

PhaerieChild
since 1999-08-30
Posts 1787
Aloha, Oregon
7 posted 2000-03-08 12:26 PM

My biggest gripe is with Piers Anthony. He writes wonderful punny fantasy but ends them weird and when going to the next book in the series it doesn't make sense. I am currently into the Apprentice Adept series and the books sometimes don't jibe. The Xanth series was great but left a lot of unanswered questions there too. Still in all, I consider him to be one of my favorite authors.

Poetry~ Words falling on paper, painting a dream.

Shawna R. Holder
Boise, Idaho

Dusk Treader
since 1999-06-18
Posts 1187
St. Paul, MN
8 posted 2000-03-08 11:04 PM

Chris are you yelling at me? Come on, admit it!  You know you are!  Some of my things just... die though.  The will goes out of them and then you have the "Bob ran fast and hurt bad guy good" things...

Robert Jordan??  UGGGHH That guy drove me insane!  I've given up on the Wheel of Time, that thing is going to grind on forever and ever, and ever...

Abrahm Simons

Put one foot on the path of life and tread the dagger's path betwixt dark and light.

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
9 posted 2000-03-09 12:11 PM

Uh, I've never read these things. Actually, Card has written one of my favorite all time short stories -- it's about kids who come out of a TV (and dedicated to his son). Jim, maybe you know it?

When Christopher mentioned unfinished stuff, I thought of Kafka. I've read everything he wrote and find the 'Castle' to be utterly interminable. The beginning's great but then it descends into repetition upon repetition.

I had heard good things about Jordan though and was going to try it -- now, maybe I won't.

Now that I think about it. What really bothers me are authors who say this is the last book they're going to write and then write something else. LeGuin did this with Earthsea and Arthur C. Clark said he wasn't going to write anymore at all -- guys, can't you come to terms with what you do and what you enjoy doing for a living.  

Brad

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
10 posted 2000-03-09 12:14 PM

What does being dead have to do with it...I've written my best work since my demise I think.

Michael

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

11 posted 2000-03-09 04:01 AM

I happen to know Chris loves Goodkind, but I'm with you on that one Jim - ICK to number Four...I just gave up...there it sits on the shelf...nicely unread...along with the first three I loved. Sigh...ah, the agony. I never liked The Wheel of Time so I have been spared THAT torture...

If they can't write good series, then perhaps unfinished work is better in a sense because at least we have the comfort of hope and expectation.

K

'Writing sharpens life;
life enriches writing'
Sylvia Plath

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
12 posted 2000-03-13 02:45 AM

I DO love Goodkind!
However, I do have to agree that the most recent, (#5 - Soul Of The Fire) left a LOT to be desired. For one thing, he spent a good portion of the book on a character whose sole apparent purpose was as a transport... as in the author couldn't think of a way to undo something he'd done in the previous, (#4 Temple Of The Winds,) book, so he had to fake it. That this character was used for that purpose isn't the problem, rather that it was his SOLE purpose. That being so, why was it necessary to devote SO much time to that person??? I'm sincerely hoping that the next one picks up where Temple Of The Winds left off!
Anywho, yes agreed to Jordan! Arrgh!!!
And Nan - Ron's right! I AM serious!!! It irks me to no end!!!  

Sven
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA
13 posted 2000-03-13 11:20 PM

Excuse me?!?!?

I happen to believe that the Goodkind series is the best that I have ever read!!  

Not only is it a wonderful story, full of love and passion. . .it's also an excellent tale. . .kept me on the end of my seat!!

I know that these series tend to take forever. . . but I like to come back to the same place and see the characters really develop and grow as people. . .and guess what gang?  Series wouldn't be so "popular" if we didn't keep reading them!!!

And BTW, I know that you probably already know this. . . Goodkind's new one, Faith of the Fallen is due out very soon. . . better get out of my way at the bookstore!!

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
14 posted 2002-05-17 03:11 PM

you know - some complaints never die... we've had what? 1 book from Jordan since this, and two from Goodkind? grrrrrrowl.

Speaking of Tad Williams - Otherworld was awesome. A good combo of sci-fi/fantasy, and though there are four books, a) the series is complete, and b) it's really one continuous tale.

Definitely suggest it.

NapalmsConstantlyConfused
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-05-15
Posts 529

15 posted 2002-05-17 03:29 PM

ummmm....
Goodkind's not anywhere near done...

and there have been a few more books, too.
Wizard's First Rule,
Stone of Tears,
Blood of the Fold,
Temple of the Winds,
Soul of the Fire,
Faith of the Fallen,
The Pillars of Creation...

and another one forthcoming... although the last one suffers from the same flaw that christopher was complaining about in soul of the fire, namely, the book follows a character that, while important to that specific book, is strictly secondary in the series as a whole.

Robert Jordan just doesn't tell a good story in my opinion.

recommendeds, though:
i second the motion on Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn (Tad Williams)
and will add to that the Otherland series, also by Williams.
the Runelords series by David Farland is good,
and here are some other series that you might enjoy:
Deed of Paksenarrion (Elizabeth Moon)
The Black Jewels (Anne Bishop, but not for younger readers)
Age of Unreason by J. Gregory Keyes,
The Magic of Recluce by L. E. Modesitt, jr.
The Belgariad by David & Leigh Eddings,
and while i'm at it,
The Malloreon,
the Eleniad,
and The Tamuli,
all also by the Eddingses.
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen Donaldson,
The Chronicles of the Cheysuli by Jennifer Roberson,
the Mithgar series - all 900 books, lmao- by Dennis McKiernan,
the Kingdom of Isles books by David Drake,
and for sci-fi fans, the Honor Harrington books by David Weber.

God bless Barnes and Noble. heh.
-Dave

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
16 posted 2002-05-17 03:35 PM

I personally was upset with a  couple of the Hardy Boys endings
Sven
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA
17 posted 2002-05-17 04:46 PM

yes. . . I'm going to go with Dave about Pillars of Creation. . .

while it was a good story, and kept my interest, I just couldn't get what it had to do with the series as a whole. . . I mean, you introduce a whole new character and storyline into your series (which already has several to begin with) and then, the line ends, and we're left wondering what it has to do with it all. . .

personally, I thought that it would pick up where Faith of the Fallen left off. . . I was already to read more about Richard's walking away from it all, and about how it would affect his cause. . . and what do I get??  the story of Jennsen Dagget, someone who just seemed to "appear" from Terry Goodkind's mind. . . for whatever reason. . . (perhaps becuase he couldn't come up with a good continuation for the main storyline???)

well. . . I'm sure that it's going to end. . . one day. . .and I'll keep reading them. . . because I like the story, and I like the style. . . so, break out another couple hundred dollars and make some more room on the bookshelf. . .

----------------------------------------------------------------

To the world, you may only be one person. But to one person, you may be the world.

Nicole
since 1999-06-23
Posts 1835
Florida
18 posted 2002-05-17 05:03 PM

Um, hello pot - this is kettle - YOU'RE BLACK!

Do not spoil Otherworld for me mister, I had to stop reading after the first book for a while!

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
19 posted 2002-05-17 05:06 PM

at least you dont' have to PAY for mine nic! sheesh!
kaile
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore
20 posted 2002-05-19 10:14 PM

well, don't laugh at me but i am waiting for harry potter vol 5...
Jeffrey E. Osborne
since 2001-11-01
Posts 160
out there
21 posted 2002-05-21 05:43 AM

I'm still waiting for King to finish his Dark Tower series...
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
22 posted 2002-05-29 12:54 PM

I have to second the motion on Tad Williams, I enjoyed his series. Never read any Goodkind, and couldn't get through Jordan. Please keep this thread up, I'm almost out of quality reading material. (The other kind is overabundant on most shelves.) Thanks, Kacy
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Cut it short why dontcha?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary