navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Christmas Treasure Hunt - Help ... need ideas!
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Christmas Treasure Hunt - Help ... need ideas! Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada

0 posted 2000-12-06 11:13 PM

I don't have kids, so Christmas is my time to spoil my 3 nephews and 1 niece silly (now ages 12-17).

About 6 years ago, they started asking for money ... and well, that's fine, but I didn't want to just hand it out ... so each year for the last 6 years, I've created elaborate Christmas Treasure Hunts, that usually take me a few days to weeks to pull together, and about one hour for them to work it all out on Christmas Day.  It's become a tradition and it's always starts with 1 gift under the tree that they can't open until the very end when everyone's ready. The whole family has a riot watching ... but this year, my time is limited, and I'm blanking on ideas. Ack! I'm running out of time!

I always have them work as a team, finding clues all over the house, making sure they each get equal time in the spotlight, and have done things like:

- hidden clues that point to $20 bills hidden under the labels of canned alphagetti

- printed clues and little jokes on strips of paper, stuffing about 5 each into balloons, then blew up the ballons, and stuffed all 20 colour codes balloons in a huge, wrapped, weighted carton. They each had to pop their coloured balloons to get to the clues, and read the jokes out loud to the adults

- written silly poems about how much they "love" each other, or moms, or dads, and make them read them out loud for everyone (that's actually the most hilarious part, especially if they've been fighting ... my instructions are usually pretty specific, like go give your brother a big hug, and then recite this to him ....)

- do up pictures clues within graphics programs where their heads are on musclemen bodies, or silly Enquirer movie start pics or comic book characters

- sift through laundry to get their clues with bundles of coins tucked inside socks as they go

- wrote poetic clues backwards so they had to be in front of a mirror to read it out loud, each child reading a special verse to get them to the next clue

- sent them on an internet search with pages I'd created with clues

- made them recite a story, each adding a word as they went around the circle until they'd said all the "hidden" words I was looking for.

- sometimes I've added strange or goofy attire they have to put on like hats or glasses as they go picking up their clues

- last year, I did a whole murder mystery in PowerPoint with warped goofy pics of the whole family, then sent them off to find clues, having to put together 3D puzzles with clues on the backs of the pieces ... eventually the clues had them fill in the blanks to spell out the "fake murderer"

I always have about 8 major clues they have to search down, and each has some poetic clue or something to send them on to the next ... So ... NOW what do I do ... they're already calling me anticipating something great this year ... and I haven't even started yet!!!  I don't have any problems coming up with the poems at the last minute to pull it all together ... its the ideas of where and how to hide things I'm blanking on this year!  

Any ideas are welcome ... the wackier the better!  

© Copyright 2000 Kit McCallum - All Rights Reserved
Elizabeth
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 1999-06-07
Posts 6871
Minnesota
1 posted 2000-12-06 11:41 PM

This sounds like fun! thinking...thinking...thinking...

drawing a blank here...sorry Kit...maybe tomorrow I'll have something!

vlraynes
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-25
Posts 8229
Somewhere... out there...
2 posted 2000-12-07 02:11 AM

Well, Aunt Kit...you have some very lucky
nephews and one very lucky niece to have an
aunt such as you.. You're amazing..

It's midnight here, and my eyelids are
heavy...I'm gonna have to give this one
some thought, and get back to you...

~vicky

Echo Rhayne
since 1999-09-17
Posts 1495
Canyon Country, CA
3 posted 2000-12-07 03:23 AM

hmmm ok just giving some really funky ideas at midnight =)  start em off with a piece of paper each that has some sort of code like 14=a or whatever then tell them that their first clue is in the mailbox and have envelopes for each of them with the code on the front so they have to figure out who each envelope is for then have another clue inside the envelope...like a fake check for a certain amount with the address on the check being some sort of direction for them to find the next clue spot and collect the first bit of money.  

EXAMPLE:  712 Moby Dick Dr.  living room (state and zip code)
800-345-1021

so in other words the address is telling them the next clue is on page 712 of moby dick which they can find in the living room (make sense?) and the money for them is on pages 800, 345, and 1021 (the phone number).

For the next clue ummm, I dunno, it's too late to think any more than I already have.  Hope this helps any, if not, I might borrow your idea and use it myself =)

Good luck!  If I think of anything else I will post you another message =)

We're called to stand out, not blend in!

Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
4 posted 2000-12-07 06:34 AM

Come back if you get any ideas Elizabeth and Vicky, thanks!  And Vicky, I always have so much fun ... I love being "Aunt Kit", they're my surrogate kids.

I love that idea Echo! That's a great challenge for them ... good one!!!  OK, I really like that ... one hiding spot idea ready to go ... probably a poetic clue to get them there, then 4 envelopes tucked in the pages taking them to the next clue ... GREAT!  Now ... I need about 7 more, LOL.     

This is so much fun for the whole family ... if you've never done something like this, I highly recommend it. Even if it's to help them eventually find their "best" or "biggest" present. I love making them work for it, and they have so much fun. My oldest nephew even turned the tables, and made his mom and step-dad go searching for their present last year!

It used to be that everyone would rip open the presents so fast, Christmas felt like it was over in minutes. It drove me crazy, I'd never see what they each got.

Ooooohhhh, new idea "that" just inspired. Yay! At one of the clue stops, I think I'll  have them each in turn, recite 5 presents they just got, and say who they received them from, no easy task if they flew through it ... hehehe!

Depending on the "clue" they've come to, I usually have 4 separate envelopes or papers unique to each of them, at each clue, I have $1, $2 or $5 wrapped up or stuck to something when they reach the next clue.

I go to the Dollar Store and pick out things like 4 decks of little miniature playing cards, 4 simple 3D puzzles, 4 little car-type puzzle games, treats, stocking stuffer type stuff etc. and wrap them all up individually, sometimes as part of the clue as well, so each child has something special for themselves to open and to read at each spot ... and the other's are so anxious, they all help each other out. I learned pretty quickly after the first year that I had to make sure I made it specific, or someone always felt left out. Now my poems or clues assign someone each a task, each a verse to read or something special to do at each clue. If it's something big, then I mix it around so they each get a turn, but my notes say who it will be so they're not fighting. Works MUCH better that way!

I've even written poems that have them give Grama or Grampa a hug, sit in their lap and sing Jingle Bells or We Wish You a Merry Christmas with them, and things like that. I try to get everyone involved. They groan at the singing clues, but they always do it with a smile (and I always make them hug somebody, yell out "I love xxx" or put their arms around each other as they sing, LOL ... drives them nuts!  

OK ... this is working, I'm getting in the spirit now! Thanks everyone!  

[This message has been edited by Kit McCallum (edited 12-07-2000).]

Lady Lost
since 2000-07-13
Posts 470

5 posted 2000-12-07 06:38 AM

Wow...with what you have already done...who could top that?  You are definitely the cool aunt, I bet.  How lucky those kids are...  Hey, I have a "dollar store" aunt.  She's cool, but our toys always fall apart.  I got a cool plastic toy shovel last year.  Did I mention that I am 23?...lol.  Good luck this year!

[This message has been edited by Lady Lost (edited 12-07-2000).]

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
6 posted 2000-12-07 08:56 AM

Why not do it around a 'Scrooge' theme? Make them tell you gifts or memories from 'Christmas Past'...ask them what they want for 'Christmas Future'...and then wind it up with the 'Christmas Present'?
Romy
since 2000-05-28
Posts 1170
Plantation, Florida
7 posted 2000-12-07 09:12 AM

Kit,
I don't have any suggestions for you but I just wanted you to know that I LOVE this idea!  This is such a great idea for kids and like you said, it slows things down a bit and encourages them to involve the others! Mind if I try it on my own children this year?

Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
8 posted 2000-12-07 01:56 PM

~LadyLost:  LOL ... I could use that plastic shovel right about now ... we've got several inches of snow in the drive!  

~Sharon: Great idea ... I love it! I'll try to incorporate it into a few of the clues ... it would be great to see how much they remember from the past, that's a great challenge.  I used to play Santa too, when the kids wrote their "letters" to the North Pole, it was Aunt Kit that always wrote back. I even invented a little elf by the name of Moppet who watched them all year and knew all the special things they'd done ... it was great. They finally were told last year that it was me ... they're such cuties.  Maybe I'll turn this theme into a bit of a game ... hmmmmm ... gotta think on that a bit, but I love it!  

~Debbie: Go for it Debbie! It's so much fun! I used to get really depressed at Christmas before I started doing all this ... now I have just as much fun as the kids again. It's great fun to watch them hunt everything down, and gets everyone including moms and dads, and gramas and grampas involved.  Use as many ideas as you like! And let me know if you come up with some new ones

I even scanned a picture of my Shepherd's head onto a picture of a $5 bill for each of them, and changed the words on the bills in different spots and they had to find all the subtle changes ... it's just a lot of fun!  

Much appreciation,
/Kit

insect
since 2000-04-22
Posts 1014

9 posted 2000-12-07 08:14 PM

Hi Kit

~ Put some written clues on a piece of paper then cut the paper into
   a puzzle shape (or what ever shape you like) so that the clue cannot
   be read without all the pieces.

~ Freeze a clue in ice (don't know if that will work?)
    Maybe you can use zip-lock freezer bags

~ Make them do some concentration acts or problem solving

- rub their tummy and pat their
              head at the same time and maybe
              say a tongue twister!
              (other poets may know more of these)

- spin each arm in a different direction
               (keeping each arm in a straight position)

- say the alphabet backwards

- draw a picture of Santa blindfolded
                or with the lights off

-  eat crackers and whistle in a limited time
                  (you'll have to test that one out)

- get them to take the yoke out of an egg without
                 breaking the shell :solution ~ put a small hole in each
                                                 end then blow the yoke out if the egg
                                                 breaks I guess the yokes on them! Ha!                

~ Buy some of those clear plastic ornament balls that open up in two pieces
    you can find them at craft stores
    Decorate them and put clues in them, then hide them on the tree

~* Make a sound recording with clues, or a story with clues, or sound effects to
   help them to the next clue, or something recorded to send them to the next tape
   of clues (or something to that nature)

~  Try writing a clue very small on a balloon before you blow it up so they can't
     read it until they deflate the balloon (not sure if this will work)

~ Buy disappearing ink to hide clues in clues they got on the first round
   (at the joke shop on Young Street just north about two blocks above College, west side)
   or at a store on Dufferin across the street from Yorkdale Mall (Are you close to Toronto)
   The store is called Efston Science (They have a LARGE telescope on the roof)
   You may have seen it while driving by
    This store also has lots of other neat things

~  (This clue is similar to the first suggestion and what you did already)
   Buy a puzzle (not 3D) for each one of them and put a message (clue) on the back so
   it can only be read after the puzzle is put all together
   To turn the puzzle over for the message may be a bit of a challenge too
   (I'm not responsible if this idea carries into the New Year) Ha! Ha!

~ One year at Christmas I canned a gift
   maybe you could do this with some money or clues
   This number is old but they may still exist try it ~ Can a Gift (xxx)xxx-xxxx
Deleted their number because they only do orders of 40 or more
   But make sure that the gift before is a can opener or maybe they get
   a challenge to find the can opener

~ Get them to lip sing to the Chipmunks Christmas songs
    (especially the older one) Ha!

~ Put a wind up alarm clock in a present and set it for the time
   you want that person to open that gift (with a clue inside)

Well they may not be what your looking for but they may give you some
other ideas

~ Merry Christmas ~

[This message has been edited by insect (edited 12-09-2000).]

Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
10 posted 2000-12-07 09:59 PM

Insect ... you're phenominal!!! A brain after my own heart, LOL! WONDERFUL ideas ... give me time to ponder ... and I'll take these and run with them!  

Thank you so much ... what a wonderful mind you have for this ... loved all these suggestions!!  

Merry Christmas and big hugs to you!!!  

[This message has been edited by Kit McCallum (edited 12-07-2000).]

insect
since 2000-04-22
Posts 1014

11 posted 2000-12-10 03:47 PM

Here some tongue twisters I found in a board game
(Some of you might vaguely remember these but probably
not if you played the game) The game has something to do
with Pink Elephants!

THESE ARE JUST THE WAY I FOUND THEM
HAVE FUN!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EAT FRESH FRIED FISH FREE AT
THE FISH FRY

SHEEP SHOULDN'T
     SLEEP IN A SHED
SHEEP SHOULD
     SLEEP IN A SHACK

THE BIG BABY BUGGY WITH THE
RED RUBBER BUGGY BUMPERS

OF ALL THE SAWS I EVER
     SAW  SAW,
I NEVER SAW A  SAW  SAW LIKE THAT
     SAW  SAWS

RUSH THE WASHING RUSSELL
RUSH THE WASHING RUSSELL

A SKUNK SAT ON A STUMP.
THE STUMP THUNK THE SKUNK
    STUNK
THE SKUNK THUNK THE STUMP
    STUNK.

THREE GRAY GEESE
    IN THE GREEN GRASS, GRAZING
GRAY WERE THE GEESE
    AND GREEN WAS THE GRASS
IN WHICH THE GEESE WERE GRAZING.

I BOUGHT A BOX OF BISCUITS,
A BOX OF MIXED BISCUITS
AND A BISCUIT MIXER

A CUP OF PROPER COFFEE IN A
COPPER COFFEE CUP

*This one may not be suitable for the little ones to read out loud!!

SILLY SALLY SITS AND SHELLS
   HER PEAS.
ALL DAY LONG SHE SITS AND
     SHELLS AND SHELLS AND SITS
     AND SITS AND SHELLS AND
     SHELLS AND SITS
Happy New Year~

Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
12 posted 2000-12-11 06:18 AM

Thanks Insect!  I remembered a few of those, but not all, lol ... those will be great to have the kids read aloud ... one more clue checked off the list, thank YOU!  
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
13 posted 2000-12-11 06:50 AM

Ideas? Someone here is passing out free ideas for Christmas fun?  I'm fresh out.. Can I steal some??
Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
14 posted 2000-12-11 07:01 AM

No stealing required Nan ... take as many as you want ... they are free!  
Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
15 posted 2001-12-22 11:39 AM

ROFL ... oh, you wonderful, wonderful poet people!  

Thank you Ron for preserving all these threads!!!

I was banging my head against a wall, trying to get this year's treasure hunt off the ground, and remembered I'd posted a thread last year and got some great suggestions that I hadn't used yet!

Ahhhhhhhh ... it WILL be a Merry Christmas! I was starting to think I was running out of ideas, lol. I took my nephew to the movies last night, and the whole time, he was quizzing me on what new Christmas adventure they were going to have this year.  I told him his brother was too old, and that we weren't doing anything this year, (but he rightfully didn't believe me, LOL)

Last year I did a huge extravaganza we called "Who Wants to Win a Christmas Present" and based it all on the "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" show, with computerized themes songs and sound effects, blue flashing strobe light, family oriented abcd questions and answers ... it was a blast, and I had no idea how I was going to top that one.

This was EXACTLY what I needed to get me rolling this year. I've already got a maze labrynth to incorporate into this year's hunt and games, New Years crackers/poppers that I'm going to disassemble, insert clues and reassemble so they have to bang it open to get at them, a small basketball hoop and ball to set up and play for combined points, a "jenga" type wooden puzzle that I'm going to write the clues hidden on the back sides of the wooden blocks ... and now ALL of these other wonderful ideas above!!!

Yeah!!!! I'm saved, ROFL!

If anyone has any more wonderful ideas for this year or next, I'd be happy to hear them. I guarantee if I don't use them this year ... I'll be back to review again next year!!!!

Krawdad
Member Elite
since 2001-01-03
Posts 2597

16 posted 2001-12-22 01:16 PM

Kit,
I just stumbled on to this.  What a riot!  Wish I could come to your place for
Christmas, Kit, you must have a ball.  I've never done anything this elaborate, but I can't help myself from adding a riddle or a clue to any gift.  It seems to give everyone a share in the present, as you have discovered.  It really works.
Bless you for your gift to your family!  

e

anonymousfemale
Member Elite
since 2000-02-02
Posts 2797
Limbo
17 posted 2001-12-23 08:00 AM

Kit,
It sounds like a fabulous Christmas in your house!! You'll have to let us all know how it goes.

If this is all the world has to offer, I want a refund on my life.

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
18 posted 2001-12-24 12:36 PM

Dear Auntie Kit,

May I try?  

Idea No. 1 ~ Seeing that children know stories, might I suggest you read a story to them as they sit around you (one they are really familiar with) such as The Grinch Who Stole Christmas, and let's say you get to the part that says, "all the whos in Whoville", you change it to the munchkins in munchkinville" and the first person to catch the mistake gets to draw a clue from the basket.  Then you keep this going until all the clues are handed out, and they get to search for the hidden article.  This way they have to work for their clues, and obviously the more clues the better their chances are of winning this treasure hunt game, see   and you don't even have to get up, your company can sit together and relax.

Idea No. 2 ~ Paste a sticker on the back of each of the kids so only others can see what is written on it (assuming they can all read) and if not an adult will help the tiny ones.  On that sticker is the location of "their treasure", for example, the fridge, the dryer, etc., and they get so many chances to ask the other players questions as to the hiding place of the treasure.  As each player finds his or her treasure they get knocked out of the game, until everyone is a winner.

Idea No. 3 ~ Cryptic Christmas ~ Write a poem as only Auntie Kit can do, so A is F, and perhaps G is U, get the idea?  Take the clue for that child and type it in the code you have determined, put it into an envelope addressed just to them (according to their age and ability) you would highlight the letters for the younger ones, and they have to figure out from your poem (each has a copy), that A stands for F, or G stands for U, but don't change too many letters or they get frustrated.

Well there are three, and if all else fails, hand out candy and they may forget about the treasure hunt!  LOL   Have a wonderful holiday my dear, sweet Auntie Kit, and take some time to relax too!

Let us know how it turns out will you?

~*~ The Very Best Of The Season To You And Yours ~*~

[This message has been edited by Mysteria (12-24-2001 12:41 AM).]

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
19 posted 2001-12-24 06:48 AM

Well, I'm a year and a few days late, but never mind, you've plenty of ideas for the next decade.

Just one question.

Will you adopt me?

Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
20 posted 2001-12-24 07:27 AM

Merry Christmas everyone .... and thank you for all the wonderful new ideas Sharon!  

I've got a lot of work ahead of me still this year, but the concepts are all worked out (my family's Christmas is actually held boxing day, so I've still got a wee bit of time).

I've got about 5 clue poems all done up, and have a few more to go. I searched the web and came up with 4 "MadLib" stories where you insert verbs, adverbs, nouns etc. and at one of the clue stops, the kids will have to blurt out a bunch of silly words without knowing the story behind it ...  and on a subsequent clue stop, I'll have all the words inserted into the actual stories that they haven't seen yet ...  all ready for them to read aloud to everyone with their words filled in the blanks. One is hilarious, it's a "personal ad" for my oldest nephew.

The clue to get them going this year begins with 4 baseball caps with looneys and tooneys stuck around the brim, each with a letter on the brim that spells out "maze".  We're pretending that my husband gave "me" the Labrynth game for Christmas, and I'll open it along with my other presents, so they have to figure it out from the "maze" clue, that that's the next stop. The caps are just a prop for the clues, but what they don't know is that I've rolled up ten dollar bills into the underside brim of each of their caps and hot glued the seam down overtop of it (that's their final cash stop at the end - they keep collecting other small bills along the way).

Part way through, they'll be directed to give a present to their Uncle to open. It's a baseball cap as well, but my husband drilled 2 holes in the brim and hung this 5 inch green plastic see-through basketball hoop and backboard from it, so it hangs in front of his face when he puts on the cap (there's also a goofey wig poneytail hanging off the back of the cap). It looks absolutely ridiculous, lol.  He has to wear it while the kids try to sink 6 baskets into the hoop before moving on to the next clue. "His" baseball cap has fake money inside the brim, with a picture of his face in place of Queen Elizabeth (just because he's a great sport), LOL.

Anyway ... back to the preparations!  Thanks again for the additional ideas Sharon. I'm hanging on to them!  I've used 2 ideas already that people gave me here last year!  

Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
21 posted 2001-12-26 06:45 PM

2001's Christmas Treasure Hunt was a wonderful success.  I had the kids all terrified, because I swore I hadn't prepared a hunt this year, and had them all believing it. Once everyone finished opening the presents, they moped around just a wee bit thinking that was it, and then I snuck out and brought in their first present/clue when they weren't looking.

We had them playing the labrynth game for hugs, songs and Christmas memory challenges, running outside for clues in the mailbox, looking through people's coat pockets and under beds for clues, filling in MadLibs and reading their final surprise stories to everyone, popping open NewYear's poppers with "extra" surprises inside them ... then the finale was their present for their uncle to open, that had the small basket ball hoop and backboard hanging from a baseball cap (with a ponytail on the back) that he had to wear on his head, while the kids threw a small plastic basketball at him, trying to win enough points for the final clue ... from which I'd borrowed the Tim Horton phrase "roll up the brim to win" (I'd hot glued the final $10 into the brim of all their baseball caps which they'd been wearing for the last 45 minutes from the first clue forward.    

Anyway ... they were terrific, and we had a riot. I told them this was probably the last year that we'd do it ... and they each made me swear that I'd never stop, and to start preparing for next year's hunt ... tomorrow, LOL.  I love those kids!  

[This message has been edited by Kit McCallum (12-26-2001 06:48 PM).]

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
22 posted 2001-12-26 08:08 PM

It sounds like it was a huge success!! I would love to see some pictures of them (and your hubby with his wonderful hat!)
insect
since 2000-04-22
Posts 1014

23 posted 2001-12-31 02:06 AM

Hi Kit
Happy to hear it was a success!
I’m late for this year’s new ideas but I would have
to agree with the kids, the hunt must go on…every year!

~ If you get started early! You could create a detective game
   by sending each child a number of letters that will arrive
   to them by mail and in the letters have separate clues to
   help them solve their own case!
   First make each person a famous detective (fictional or none fictional)

In the letters you could
-  write or print backwards.

-  put half or parts of the message in different letters.

-  code it with symbols or other letters or numbers.

-  make a picture letter.

-  send them a tape with instructions or clues.

-  make your own “word search” with clues.

-  cut the letter up into long strips.

-  somehow use each kids detective name to find clues.

-  mix up each written line so it has to be unscrambled.

-  make a separate code for the alphabet for each and send it to them,
then let their first present be a coded
letter of clues.

-  put one half of a letter in a present and the other half was already sent to them in the mail or each half in separate presents.

-  send them a treasure map of the house or property and make it look real by burning the edges of a cloth material and use old style writing on it (or use paper).

-  send them snap shots with clues in the picture.

-  create a board game like the game “CLUE” and instead of one solution
have a solution in every room to help them solve an even bigger mystery.

-  there are endless possibilities you could use with the game “CLUE”.

~ Moving on!…Ha!…How about a singing game where everything you say has to be sung out loud!(Bring one of those FM mics so everyone can be heard on the house sterio)

~ Or a game where no one can speak at all…and all communication is by either pen and paper or body language or some other means?

~ * How about you ask them to put you on a Christmas Hunt next year, I’m sure they would have lots of fun making up something for you

~ Put some money in a small metal box then wrap it, then chain it with a semi-tough chain and lock it up…then let them figure out
how to get into it by themselves and hold out as long as you can and if they can’t open it, make them do or say something ridicules to receive the key

~ Make it a dress up Christmas party (everyone has to be in costume)

~* Wrap up different amounts of money into different size presents and play a game to win over presents (make some presents with gags in them or stupid acts that they have to perform)(example- wrap a wig with lipstick and make them sing)

~ Wrap some gifts five or six times or tape them up to near impossible to open (give them a time limit to open the gift)(use an egg timer)

~ In the Dollar Stores you could buy popsicle sticks and plasterseen…
    …play a game where they have to build a structure in a limited time and the tallest structure gets the first gift

~ Number all the presents…then put all the numbers into a hat and let each person pic from the hat…or…put all the numbers into balloons and each person breaks a balloon in turn for a numbered present

~ Make each person eat something they hate the most to get a gift

~ Play the card game “Concentration” and every pair you get allows you to take a gift

~ Put a card from one deck on each gift…then with a new deck, each person matches to get the gift with the same card (picking a card at random or some other way)

If I think up some more I’ll post them for you dear Kit

~HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU AND ALL~

Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
24 posted 2001-12-31 06:13 AM

Insect .... you are absolutely, without question, utterly and completely ... marvelous!!!!!

These are ALL wonderful ideas, and should help me prepare for the next 10 years ... when the kids, are having their "own" kids! LOL.

I love the idea of doing something completely off base and starting some clues via mail  in advance. Even if I were to do it via e-mail as the 12 days before Christmas!  Like, on the 12th day of Christmas, my nephew gave to me .... 12 xxxx and so on .... oh, I love it.

Love the whole detective idea too ... and EVERYthing else you've got here!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for taking the time to write out all these wonderful ideas. I PROMISE I'll be back to read again long before Christmas next year, so I can get rolling again!

Merry Christmas and have a wonderful New Year Insect! Thank you for this!

Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
25 posted 2002-12-07 06:09 PM

Well, it's that time of year again!  I thought I'd go looking for this old thread.  It looks like this is the third Christmas since I posted it.    

Last year after the Christmas fun, I told the kid's that was the last year I'd be doing any more treasure hunts.  They were all getting too old, and Aunt Kit was running out of ideas.  

But ... that's easier said than done, and I was feeling guilty that we weren't doing anything special this year.  

I was just talking to my sister though ... and we decided that since we both can't imagine not doing "anything", that we'd try something a little different. Last year, we taught my parents to play euchre (they're big bridge fans, but never played euchre before then).  The kids all love euchre, and so do we, so we're going to have a euchre tournament with prizes. Nothing big, just fun dollar store trinkets. Enough for everyone to win something at the end of the day. We're going to have a rotating partner scenario where you count your individual points, but never have the same partner twice ... so it's an individual (but team) effort throughout.

Anyway, we got ourselves excited and all wound up, so it looks like that's what we'll be doing this year. Something a little more grown-up, and now I don't have to feel guilty for "not" doing something a little special.

Phew!  

Merry Christmas everyone!

[This message has been edited by Kit McCallum (12-08-2002 08:40 AM).]

Miah
since 2002-08-26
Posts 1062
Pennsylvania
26 posted 2002-12-07 09:25 PM

Man, How cool.  Wish I had an aunt like that.  

[This message has been edited by Miah (12-07-2002 09:27 PM).]

garysgirl
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
27 posted 2002-12-08 02:01 AM

Hey Aunt Kit.....  

This is so neat...... the ideas you have as an Aunt, all the ideas everybody has, and the fact that the thread has survived for three years.

I don't have any ideas this early in the morning, but I hope others do, later.

Bye for now, and goodnight....  

~Ethel~

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
28 posted 2002-12-08 02:58 AM

I'll bite, what the heck is euker?  I know you are on sabbatical, but that sounds like something you call a sick child

Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
29 posted 2002-12-08 08:38 AM

Thanks Miah and Ethel.

Looks like I spelled it like it sounded and not how it's supposed to be Sharon, lol. I just looked it up and it's spelled "euchre" not "euker" (so I fixed my spelling above).  

I'm talking about the card game - here's a link to the rules ... we've played it for years with friends and family.  
http://www.bright.net/~double/euchre.htm

[This message has been edited by Kit McCallum (12-08-2002 08:42 AM).]

Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
30 posted 2002-12-22 10:10 AM

I went out to a movie the other night with my nephew, and he doesn't believe we aren't doing a "treasure hunt/game" even though my sister told him we're just playing euchre this year. He was grilling me, trying to guage my response, to see if it was true, and he looked sooooooooo sad!  Sigh ... I told him it's all his fault for growing up, lol.

MAJOR guilt!!!  Nope ... can't disappoint him ... nope, can't do it, nope ... won't do it.  Therefore ........... I now have today and tomorrow to pull something bigger together, lol.  

I'm going with a "Christmas Past" theme, and am making up a pile of questions to see what all they remember from previous year's clues and games, in the guise of "Jeopardy".  They'll get some money as they go along and answer the questions, I'll play some jeopardy music. Then I'm going to incorporate Insect's "concentration game" idea (memory game). I'm going to print off 26 family pictures, and grab a set of cards from the dollar store and paste the pics to the underside of each card. They'll have to match up the goofy pics from Treasure Hunt's past that I've warped of family members, and once done ... THEN we'll get to the euchre tournament as planned. I've already bought 12 sets of prizes, so everyone gets something special. Sheesh ... this year is getting expensive!

Sigh .... oh, I feel MUCH better now. Christmas just isn't Christmas if I can't surprise them in some way. Sorry for babbling. I think just typing this out solidifies it in my mind, so I have no choice now ... I'm committed. Time to get rolling!

Merry Christmas everyone!  

[This message has been edited by Kit McCallum (12-22-2002 12:27 PM).]

insect
since 2000-04-22
Posts 1014

31 posted 2007-12-03 09:25 PM

-see who can build the best snowman/snowoman
-a few years ago I put those dollar store door
alarms in the gifts I gave away...good for a laugh when they go off as they unwrap it!
-put something broken in a gift with a matching
present taped to that present and in the second
present put a bottle of glue....you will get a strange look on there face I bet.
-put a dollar store camera in every bodies gift and also a can of pressurized cool whip
and start the assaults with only a five minute game(no wiping away the cream)and everyones picture must be taken(show us)
-or how about squirt guns
-classic-musical chairs with cheating allowed
-play a game with three volunteers that are not allowed to laugh and everyone tries to make them laugh by any means...but they must stand there and not laugh or smile while everyone is saying and doing silly things to make them laugh..(3 minutes should be the time limit maybe)the winner gets to open a present first
-play pictionary with the person drawing has to wear a blind fold over there eyes
-put coal in someones stocking
-put a balloon wrapped up with a few tacks in
the wrapping so as they handle it....BOOM!
.......that should get a reaction...Ha!
Ha! Ha!....sorry that last one made me laugh!
...but they may be afraid to handle the next one
-play a card game (everyone has to put in
a wrapped mystery gift in the middle of the
table...and nobody is allowed to tell what there mystery gift is)play a game where as
each person goes out of the game they get
to choose there gift first(gag gifts are good
for this game)(maybe something from the sex shop)what ever!...just make sure everyone is
only allowed to spend less then $15.00

well that's all for now
hope I didn't cross the line with some of these
Have fun whatever you do...and let us know
we love to hear your beautiful family stories

Merry Christmas Kit and everyone

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
32 posted 2007-12-04 03:38 PM

Kit, I was about to look for this thread, and bam, there it is...back at the top.  I ran across another cute Christmas idea that I think I will bring to my new office people to see if they will go for it next year, as this year's plans have been made.

If you are in a large group...family, friends, employees, etc., everyone is to get a child's gift that reflects their personality the best. Then, it is a blind White Elephant exchange...so that no one knows whose present they are opening, and the present's identity is to be guessed at to the appropriate person it most identifies with. [Are you a complex person? Make your present a 1000 piece puzzle]

Then, when all is said and done and everyone is exhausted from laughter, a wrapping party can be had, to regift the presents to needy children.

Merry Christmas, Kit!

Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
33 posted 2007-12-04 04:16 PM

Wow!  I can't believe you found this thread after 5 years, Insect!  It's soooooo nice to hear from you. You've been saving a LOT of ideas, I see, lol.

Well, my nephews and neice are now all grown up. That's sad to say, as we ALL miss the Treasure Hunts. They made Christmas so much fun. It was great to read through this again. Hopefully it may keep going and it will inspire others who have kids.

Hi Karilea! That's a neat idea for the adults at the office. Puts a whole new slant on what they call the Secret Santa around these parts ... and what a great thing to be able to pass them on to kids when you're done. Wonderful!

Merry Christmas to you both!

insect
since 2000-04-22
Posts 1014

34 posted 2017-12-24 12:32 PM

Well I'm back...Ha!
...some of these games are played if everyone brings a wrapped gift with no name on it
    the gift can be anything(gag gift or something you don't want anymore)
    ( example - bra,sock,toy,money,hat,candy,loaf of bread,booze,VCR,almost anything)

- write out a naughty list (in a nice letter form and very neat) with the names
   of all your victoms...and bring up things from there past(throw in some embarassing things)
   (make up silly stuff...why not!...it's all for fun!!!)

- then write out a nice list of the same victoms with the good things that they have
   done from there past ( add pictures if you got them for both lists)

- Get some ballons and play a game where you have to break the ballon with out
   using your hands(maybe put a small amount of water inside the ballon too)

- get some raisins or peanuts or cheese balls or grapes and play a game of tossing to the mouth
   in turn(highest number of catches in a row gets to pick first present to open)...but one eye
   has to be covered so you have no depth perception

- play a game where everyone gets to take a picture with ther cell phone of something in
   the house at some weird angle and whom ever figures it out first gets to show there picture next
   (give a five minute limit)...if it is not guessed you get to take a present first

- here is a painful game but rewarding - put pieces of paper in a box and a few mouse traps also
   and have some ten dallor bills inside too...on your turn you can only take one piece of paper
   (good luck)..no gloves allowed(the lid is covered with a cloth and a slit in it)

- play the grapevine game -whisper three words into the person beside you and they do the same,
   if at least one of the three words makes it to the last person you get to take a gift

- play the Hangman game with four or five letters, the champion of everyone picks first gift

*  ...remember - you have to put on your gift if it's a gag gift  

Hi everyone...just wanted to show up to let you know I'm still around peeking in
   and of course bump this wonderful thread of Kit's family times back to the top

[This message has been edited by insect (12-26-2017 07:19 PM).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Christmas Treasure Hunt - Help ... need ideas!

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary