navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Is anyone interested...
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Is anyone interested... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Amaryllis
since 2010-05-20
Posts 1306
Mi now

0 posted 2010-11-10 11:16 PM

in sharing constructive critique?
I miss being able to give and receive honest, in-depth critique. I am not thin-skinned,  in fact I adore the revision process. I find I am constrained at times from speaking my true thoughts, as there are some who take it as a challenge or an insult. Sadly, that is/was never my intent. I highly value a reader opinion, I truly want to know where the poem may be weak, where I`ve messed up re: syntax, typo, tenses,  anything- even whether it seems trite, or cliche`d, or confusing to the reader, and, conversely, where it goes right, what works, what engages, what hits its mark. To me, that is a gift we give one another, helping to polish the poem and make it shine. There is so much to be learned from the reader`s eyes.  I am not speaking of cruelty or mean-spiritedness, at all... I live by the old maxim `critique the poem, not the poet.`
I surely hope I am not stirring some old pot that I am unaware of, that existed before I joined...?  I will refrain from this, if Ron wishes. I just thought if I had a certain thread devoted to in-depth crit, then posters could come or avoid at will.  
Please let me know, anyone?  Thank you so much~
All my best~
Sharon (Amaryllis)

© Copyright 2010 Amaryllis - All Rights Reserved
Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

1 posted 2010-11-11 03:41 PM

Mike runs a workshop that focuses on metrics and formal stuff.  A lot of people here find him very useful.

I've tried to get folks interested in more concrete criticism here about strategy, lineation and with an eye toward revision and eventual publication.  Many magazines don't want poems that have appeared on internet sites, believing that such appearances already are a form of publication; Poetry Magazine is one of those, and it's difficult to ask people to submit poems they don't think they want to publish or revise for ultimate publication.  I'm frugal with many poems that way.

A lot of people simply don't want feedback, but praise.  Often they have difficulty in knowing where to put their poems and stumble into actual feedback, which is upsetting for them; or people offer actual feedback to people who simply want need and really do deserve straightforward support to nurture their growth.  It gets confusing.

Even people who are genuinely in need of actual feedback and do want it are subject to bruised feelings  when they get it.  We are all subject to narcissistic wounding.

Ron seems to try to keep a level head about all this, and sometimes manages to do so and sometimes doesn't.  He's human as anybody else.

Given the various difficulties with the project, I'm willing to give it a shot if you have any poems you want to have  feedback on.  Not too many and not too fast and not too long because I've got my own writing to do and my own revisions I'm working with.  

With any luck, we can get some other folks who are actually interested in feedback about other stuff than the formal work that they do in the Poetry workshop section.  

Of course, if you're interested in that, that is exactly the place you should go.  There is lots of good feedback on forms over there and a deservedly enthusiastic following.

If there are other folks interested, I'd like to hear about it as well.  Two people is a decent start, of course, but more folks bring more to the party.

Any thoughts?

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
2 posted 2010-11-11 03:46 PM

Amaryllis

Go ahead and adjust your profile under "Critique Message" so that you can leave a message that says, "please, let me know where I can improve" or something to that nature, and hopefully those that enjoy giving critique will then do so. That's as close as we can get just now.  

Amaryllis
since 2010-05-20
Posts 1306
Mi now
3 posted 2010-11-11 04:19 PM

Thank you, Bob and Sunshine, I appreciate your replies.
Bob, I have visited the workshop, and it is and has been very educational and helpful for me. Yet I know it is not a free-for-all crit board, if I understand it correctly, Michael is the one in charge of the exercises, which is good, since it might quickly get confusing otherwise. Since my personal tastes and style tend to run to free verse, I find the metrical exercises and forms fun and challenging, but not neccessarily what I was looking for in the way of critique on my own personal work. I realize most editors will not want work that has been published on the internet, and was thinking of the critique as more of a learning process.  I learn something every time.
Sunshine, you are correct... and it occurs to me that, should a writer want further critique from a certain member, perhaps we should just e-mail one another behind the scenes.     That would most likely be best.
Thank you both! I shall change my crit message post-haste.

All my best~
Sharon

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Is anyone interested...

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary