navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » the future is thrift?
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic the future is thrift? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

0 posted 2010-06-17 04:27 AM

A
And the past is perfect present tense-less? (*winks to Nanners)

Seriously, three weeks of thift store rummaging, and my dining room table is...well? Just wow.

I found a nice sheer greenish batik print, which actually went quite nicely right over the family heirloomed cross-stitch, and then I found some beige mats that are totally cotton weaved to look like straw, but they just looked bare so I put the green chinese silk cut outs over them--and then, and THEN? I took that retro green and cream lazy susan set I almost sold on craig's list, centered it with an elevated candle stand and I must say?

I'm proud of me.

Now--I want to hear thrift store stories, cheap trick home-decorating thrills, etc.

DO TELL.

© Copyright 2010 serenity blaze - All Rights Reserved
Amaryllis
since 2010-05-20
Posts 1306
Mi now
1 posted 2010-06-17 06:08 PM

Oh I do love me some thrift-store diggins!  It`s so fun.. and with 4 children, it`s been a necessity at times, for clothes & shoes & backpacks, etc. I do buy them new, also, but I can find some high quality (`name`) things there that I mightn`t buy brand new.
As for decorating? I once found a 8x5 wool rug, teal blue w/ multicolor circles (spots) on it.. LOVED.. nabbed for a soooong~!  Also I really adore mid-century design so I`ve sometimes found a retro lamp-base, (just hadda buy a new shade)  or side table, etc.. veddy veddy kewl!  
Glad there`s others who enjoy it too!
Best~Amaryllis

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
2 posted 2010-06-17 06:10 PM

All I can tell you is that I am going to be getting rid of much of my life(stuff)...too, too much!  Either Craig's list or yard sale or give aways, as soon as time permits me to gather it all.

Sounds nice, Karen, and with your talent, I am sure it looks beautiful!

M

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
3 posted 2010-06-17 08:00 PM

I love thrift stores, love them!  The funniest story I have to tell is that one Saturday I came home with a treasure, only to realize that when putting it in place, I had donated it to Value Village two months before!  Oh well, I was glad to have it back I guess?
latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
4 posted 2010-06-18 07:48 PM

I am a thrift store buyer from way back! Have  found so many nice items. Years ago when my sister in law  was feeling down I took her to one of my favorite places.She spotted a light biege mink cape.It had been marked down for the third week and now was down to a hundred dollars. All beautifully lined with the initials of an actress.I was sure it was the real McCoy because it was on the Ct.Shoreline and there are a lot of movie people there. My sister in law really wanted that cape but was hesitant to buy it.I told her to call her husband and  ask. HE said yes, so we ran back and just before they locked the door we went in and bought it. She had it relined with her intialis and the fur dealer she went to gave it a high appraiasl.We call that the "Year of the Mink".  Most of my furniture is from thrift stores and a lot of my clothes and the kids clothes. As was mentioned, I was able to buy better  things than I  would have been able to afford. Latearrival  
Hypatia
since 2004-03-22
Posts 18

5 posted 2010-06-18 11:54 PM

It's just me--serenity b.

I seem to keep having crises of identity in all my forum affairs, but I am persistant, so here I yam.

Anyhoo--I just wanted to say I wish we could all get together and go thrifting.

My friend and I have this "thing"--kind of a game we play when we go thrifting, and the idea is to find a "thing" and purchase it. The only qualification is that is must be really weird, perhaps not even having any identifiable purpose. It started with a hairy poncho that I made her buy.

And I don't mean furry, and I don't mean knit--I mean this "thing" looked like black and silver "hairs".

Durned if it didn't look good on her, too.

(I told her in the store if she couldn't make it work in an outfit, she could always wear it to a carnival parade.)

But it looks great on her, anyhow.

And oh man--I just threw away a pair of plastic pink light up flip flops--they might have been a gift from you, Sharon--I'm not sure--but I decided not to donate them because I wore them to the corner drug store the other day, and it was a really hot day--and between the hard rubber (or plastic?) they burned my feet!

Pretty bad too--so now I have four blood red scabs, two one each foot, and I made it worse by going swimming and oy--I have to stand in a wedding on the 3rd.

It should be fine by then, though, unless I blow myself up ala Wile E. Coyote in the interim.

*shaking my head*

Honestly. My sister just keeps looking at me in disbelief wondering what I'll do to me next.

But yep. Thrift stores are cool beans--but beware of plastic shoes in the heat.

Ouch.

Hypatia
since 2004-03-22
Posts 18

6 posted 2010-06-19 04:14 PM

Then again? Some things just make ya go..."ew".

I mean, "craigslist", well they do have a reputation for catering to the most unusual tastes/proclivities--but really--

"Contour Memory Foam Pillow" and they are kind enough to throw in an extra cover for the bargain price of $15, but um, no. I actually need one of these but um, again, thanks, but, no.

I thought I should point out that just last week, somebody was giving away an estimated 500,000 gallons of oil. In the free section, too. All y'had to do was go pick it up!

*sheesh* I love my people though.

Amaryllis
since 2010-05-20
Posts 1306
Mi now
7 posted 2010-06-19 04:35 PM

One time my sis-in-law bought a sport coat for her hubs at Value Village, & when she got home they discovered 80$ in the pocket!  She called the store to report finding the money, and get this- they said since they have no way of knowing who had donated it, she gets to keep it! Talk about a bargain, alright!  You can bet =lve been diggin thru the coat pockets at thrift stores ever since..lol!  
~Amaryllis

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
8 posted 2010-06-19 04:43 PM

Karen, Aloe will help those blisters! I did the same thing once by walking too far in a pair of beach sandals.They were not made for street walking I guess. love ya, spotted feet and all.  jo
whoops, not to say that at my age I am into "street walking" LOL

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » the future is thrift?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary