navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Teach Just One Child - An idea instead of Christmas shopping?
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Teach Just One Child - An idea instead of Christmas shopping? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada

0 posted 2009-10-03 02:50 PM

We adults in our family have decided not to exchange gifts at Christmas this year, and instead do what we can to help this organization, and the local S.H.A.R.E. program.  Whatever each adult can afford to give, we will share with someone less fortunate that needs it more.  I loved the idea so posted just one suggestion here for you think on, (way ahead of time.)

Teach One Girl In The World

I used this link as it will lead you, at the bottom left of the page to the organizations sponsoring this particular fundraiser, under "Related Resources."

Funny, the older you get you realize that "stuff" is not important, being in style is not important, having the latest gadget doesn't matter either.  What is important is family and friends, and the memories made together, for this is all you will leave behind really.  The stuff will be gone, and you realize you could have made a difference in someone's life all that time.

© Copyright 2009 Mysteria 1997 - All Rights Reserved
Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
1 posted 2009-10-03 07:33 PM

(huggies) Oh Sharon, thanks sooooooooooo much for sharing this!

I'm only 25 years old, and I myself, among many others, have long believed that the magic of Christmas lies in ones heart rather than in a box. Because I'm human after all, I won't deny there are certain material things that catch my attention, but all the same there's no material thing I believe I necessarily need. So each Christmas I ask my parents to give half of what they'd otherwise spend on me to Heifer International, so a family in a third-world country who would otherwise have a lonesome, adverse holiday can feel a sense of hope and at least mild comfort. Moreover, I volunteer at rescue missions, mitten drives and help deliver turkey dinners with the Radio Cab service to low-income families during each holiday season.

It's on this note why I've always contemplated again and again: "Wouldn’t it be utterly special in the first degree to share that magic to someone unconditionally?" And if you have the opportunity to spread much more cheer beyond your family, your loved ones, your friends, your nieces and nephews, your twice-removed third cousins...........why not to those who need it most, who often are presently doubting anyone will lift their spirits up at least for a day? After all, it says in Proverbs 21:13, “If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be answered.” Which is why I believe in the philosophy, “The more you give, the more you get!”..................and usually what you get is not of material worth, but spiritually you feel a spark set a flame in the hearth in your heart, a feeling you don’t get from a box or a package.

I would finally share another verse that I've always treasured and have never forgotten:

"When you give a luncheon or a dinner, do not invite your friends, your brothers, your relatives or your rich neighbors; if you do, they may invite you back and so you will be repaid. But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind and you will be blessed. Although they can not repay you, you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous." (Luke 14:12-14)

THIS, among other proverbial gems of truth, is why I'll always proudly declare myself as part-Christian in faith even while I've gravitated heavily in awe toward Tantra..........because I believe the whole essence and purpose of faith is spiritually spelled out in blessing the world and finding, even when you don't get repaid tangibly, you feel blessed yourself.

Edith Hamilton said herself that faith isn't belief, because belief is passive while faith is active. Faith can truly be a healing force that transcends all others, and whenever anyone makes that loan to the Lord or whatever they name any form of Higher Being..............the world is ever blessed.

XOXO,
Lisping Hibiscus

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
2 posted 2009-10-03 08:02 PM

I am with you Mysteria.  It is still a good idea to send packages to our men and women in Iraq and other areas where they are working so hard. If we agree or not about the why, they are our kids and adults and far away from home in a terrible situation.
jo

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
3 posted 2009-10-04 01:40 PM

Up here, it is not even Halloween, and they are already starting to get out the Christmas decorations!   We can't call it Christmas anyways, so why not combine the two?  Wait, Thanksgiving is coming too, we could just have "Thankhallmas."  They would probably then want to change it to "Thankhalliday"
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Teach Just One Child - An idea instead of Christmas shopping?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary