navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Has anyone ever tried it ?
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Has anyone ever tried it ? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
DharkOne
since 2009-01-28
Posts 31

0 posted 2009-01-30 10:38 AM

I wonder if anyone has ever sat in front of their computer and rendered a work in realtime, while logged in to the forums here ?
Start a new topic, and just let it flow into the text box - give it to us raw and unadorned.
No cheating, no copy/paste, no variations on stuff you have already written.
Give a LIVE, impromptu performance, and let it stand...

© Copyright 2009 DharkOne - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2009-01-30 11:24 AM

Yep...and about the time you do that, especially with a long piece of work...the site will go down?

Instant answers like this now, usually in a short context, usually make the grade.

DharkOne
since 2009-01-28
Posts 31

2 posted 2009-01-30 11:37 AM

Why exactly do you imagine the site would go down ?
That really isn't even a logic-bearing statement, as I'm reasonably confident that the impromptu works would be much smaller in terms of length than the "premeditated" works which are created at one's leisure, and by virtue of such are often quite lengthy.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2009-01-30 11:50 AM

You've only recently signed on - several of us have been here for five years and more. Things happen...internet interferences, etc. If you go through the discussion area in the archives, you'll probably find some references, K.E., to times when people moaned and groaned and nearly had apoplexy because they were typing "directly" to the screen, and their stuff "poofed". Sometimes it can happen just to you and your computer if you live in an area that is typical for lightning and things like that. Any power outage on your end may immediately cause you to lose what you just typed into an interactive site, and not be immediately, if at all, recoverable.

That's why Ron has always suggested that if you want to keep your stuff, you'll work it on your own program and save it to your computer, rather than risking something highly profound and thought-provoking...

SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
4 posted 2009-01-30 12:27 PM

LOL it has happened to me, read in teen too, a lot of the kids will just write it out right then. I've lost stuff, the kids in teen have and a lot of other members too.

You learn quick to save it. Things happen.

and if you read in the archives, there are a LOT of poems with poetic replies...where you add on as you go. It is off the cuff.

Mark Bohannan
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-21
Posts 7269
In the winds of Cherokee song
5 posted 2009-01-30 01:21 PM

Simply put ... yes I have in my earlier days here.  Most of my poems are written in 5 to 10 minutes anyway.  If you search the archives you will probably notice I have some typos in some of my works.  I have a bad habit of typing with my eyes closed when I write.  A thought, an image, or an emotion pop into my head and if I am near a computer, then I simply close my eyes and type.  When I open my eyes, I consider it done.  I have been trying the past couple of years to break this habit and there are some styles that I had to learn and work with but as I said, most are impromptu and off the cuff.  Once a thought is gone from my head it is hard for me to capture the feel of it again.  That's just me, but I as of late have been studying formatted styles so I do put actual work, effort and thought into them now.  
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
6 posted 2009-01-30 01:35 PM

And if you're thinking poetically, K.E., you may also be considering a form called a "choka" where several poets will start in verse, say, senryu or haiku, and one after another will spontaneously add their addition to it - keeping a "live version" so to speak, on-going. See this example:
/main/forumdisplay.cgi?action=displayarchive&number=76&topic=002416

DharkOne
since 2009-01-28
Posts 31

7 posted 2009-01-30 02:16 PM

Well, no, what I was thinking would be just what I suggested, a "live" impromptu writing.
This could be prevented from being problematic by utilizing a program which uses the same internal "mechanics" as IRC chat programs.
IRC logs ( saves to a text file ) everything you type while in a "room" ( channel).
Using such an approach, one would never lose their work even if something DID bonk for them.
And I certainly don't think the weight of mere text file could cripple a server and bring a site down.
Maybe this is an idea that might find it's way to reality, using java-chat - as long as a way to "log" ( as with IRC ) could be utilized so that whatever one types would be entered into the text file and saved upon shutdown.
Just thinking out loud here, as the idea struck me as an exciting way to interact in real time, for those who would enjoy such a thing.

SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
8 posted 2009-01-30 02:44 PM

ah ok I get what you are saying now.

you should put that idea here...
/main/forumdisplay.cgi?number=19

in the suggestion box

it's a really good idea.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Has anyone ever tried it ?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary