navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Does anyone know?
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Does anyone know? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

0 posted 2009-01-22 07:36 PM

I am not quite dirt-poor, but I'm poor enough to need help. Can anyone direct me to a program that would help to pay college tuition in return for service?

*blush*

I'm not looking for something for my kids this time--I'm willing to go the distance to get a teaching degree.

And YES--this could mean I attend college WITH my kids.

(damn, I'm MEAN )

I blame menopause. *ahem*

Seriously though, I'm checking out Americorps...but finding...not much, and you guys have been so helpful in the past, I thought I'd just shake the Piprattle and see if magick happens again.

So tell me all you super-seekers, do ya know?

© Copyright 2009 serenity blaze - All Rights Reserved
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
1 posted 2009-01-22 11:22 PM

Call the college and ask if there are scholarships available. Sometimes alumni donate money for very specific students.. like over 40 women going to college for a teaching degree...but start with a counselor at whichever college you want to attend.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

2 posted 2009-01-22 11:37 PM

hey you........

snoopy dance!

and yanno? You do know I called them already, right?

and yes, I gave them my student I.D. number (oh I'm laughing dangerous now) but yeah, they were like. um....

I am apparently in triple naught digits.

My son is mortified and already considering transfer.

I had no idea I was so embarrassin'...

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
3 posted 2009-01-23 06:02 AM

why not start off by applying for a job at a college, even in an office and then they "sometimes"  want their employees getting a degree and will  offer it for free. At least that's what my nephew did when he was  in charge of Alumni trips and special events without any previous university experience and now works for the President of the University after getting some credits.

M

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
4 posted 2009-01-23 10:58 AM

That's a good thought - a friend of mine is earning his Master's Degree in physics at Boston College for free - because he works in their system.. consider it..

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

5 posted 2009-01-23 11:00 AM

hmmm....a job thingie...

That might work if I can somehow beat out all the fresh young minds I'd be standing behind. (Think POSITIVE, Karen. )

Thanks Mo. I do like the idea of being paid to embarrass my kids. *chuckle*

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
6 posted 2009-01-23 12:03 PM

A double-dip like working at the uni and earning credit hours [free] would be fantastic! You go, girl! I'm proud of you!!!
[Despite what your kids are saying...]

Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
7 posted 2009-01-23 07:58 PM

Karen,

Fill out the financial application and let them tell you what you are eligible for. You should be able to at least get something from a Pell Grant..

"too bad ignorance isn't painful"
~Unknown~

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
8 posted 2009-01-30 06:37 PM

Well, if you wait long enough to be as old as me you can go for free (at least up here.)
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Does anyone know?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary