navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Favorite childhood memory
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Favorite childhood memory Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
freeand2sexy
since 2008-09-12
Posts 704
CA, USA

0 posted 2008-11-29 04:17 AM

I was looking at old pictures of me as a child and thinking about old memories (well not that old since i'm only 16) and i realized that my favorite memory was working with my grandma in her garden and then eating scambled eggs with ketchup for lunch. lol

So, I'm just curious, what's your favorite childhood memory?

I love pancakes!!!

© Copyright 2008 Christine Juarez - All Rights Reserved
nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
1 posted 2008-11-29 08:01 AM

walking on the beach at Ocean City, MD holding my Dad's hand as the waves came in and the sand was moving beneath my feet and my Dad caught me from falling. (I was probably about 4 or 5)

M

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
2 posted 2008-11-29 02:24 PM

You know mine is not too far from yours, as mine was sitting on the porch step shelling peas with my Grandma, while she told me stories of her youth.  Those same stories I told to my son adding a part of my youth, and he in turn has told his two girls adding his part.  It is marvelous how time can keep someone alive through memory isn't it?  

I love the idea of this thread, and finally I think you inspired me enough to sit still and write a poem or two.  

freeand2sexy
since 2008-09-12
Posts 704
CA, USA
3 posted 2008-11-29 02:41 PM

What a wonderful tradition, Mysteria.

My grandma also told me stories of her youth, as well and she still does, i learn something new about her and my grandpa all the time.

I'm glad this inspired you.  

I love pancakes!!!

[This message has been edited by freeand2sexy (11-29-2008 03:42 PM).]

Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
Lumpy oatmeal makes me crazy!
4 posted 2008-11-29 03:33 PM

One of my favorite memories is discovering that my Mom could skip!

I was five and it was a warm, sunny day. We were holding hands and walking the trail between the hay fields.  I showed her I could skip and she skipped with me.

It was magic to me.

Roniece Dawson-Bruce
Member Ascendant
since 2000-01-29
Posts 5689
Sydney, Australia
5 posted 2008-11-29 10:39 PM

ah for me it's this memory....
Our neighbours and us would all get together over the holidays and go for picnics at different locations... one time, we found this unused rail track and found one of those push/pull thingies on the track..so we all jumped on and went up and down the track, laughing and screaming like maniacs... kids, parents and animals were all on it.. it was the best day ever and I still have the picture which captured the memory of it... priceless for me   

and I love reading the other memories on here.. let's keep them coming!  

Be kind at heart....for everyone you meet has their own battle to fight.........

freeand2sexy
since 2008-09-12
Posts 704
CA, USA
6 posted 2008-11-29 11:25 PM

I too love reading the other memories.

And if no one minds i remember another memory that i love.

I'm not sure if you guys are familiar with the Flinstones, but when i was in kindergarten my dad would pick me up from school and we'd go straight home to watch that show and he would always surprise me, with ring pops or pop rocks, they were are favorites. I remember laughing and having fun. And we did that everyday right after school. It was like a tradition for us.

I love pancakes!!!

Ratleader
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-01-23
Posts 7026
Visiting Earth on a Guest Pass
7 posted 2008-11-30 01:24 AM

Rather than a tradition, I'll tell about the end of one, and I treasure both it, and its ending.

I was seven, and mom was working that summer, so every day dad took me to work with him. He was a carpenter, and his crew was remodeling houses, so a kid was pretty much invisible tagging along with them. Each day after work, dad and I would stop at a tavern -- he'd have a beer, and I would have ginger ale, and the real treat, a few genuine guy moments alone with my dad -- precious for a kid!

Then one day I said I wanted a beer too....He said no, he thought that today we'd both have ginger ale, and we did. End of tradition, start of a more thoughtful dad, about some fatherly things like setting examples.

I did get my wish though, dad pulled two bottles out of the fridge and offered one to me one summer afternoon -- exactly twenty years later. That was the very next beer (or anything else with alcohol) that I ever saw him drink.

~~(¸¸¸¸ºº>   ~~(¸¸¸¸ºº>  ~~(¸¸ ¸¸ºº>    ~~~(¸¸ER¸¸ºº>
______________Ratleader______________

Roniece Dawson-Bruce
Member Ascendant
since 2000-01-29
Posts 5689
Sydney, Australia
8 posted 2008-11-30 03:42 AM

ooh I loved the Flintstones!! and I love ginger ale!! what great memories here... thanks for sharing ... this really is a great thread you have started.. thank you xx

Be kind at heart....for everyone you meet has their own battle to fight.........

Callista
since 2008-10-05
Posts 63
USA
9 posted 2008-12-10 10:18 PM

Canoeing down the Current River with a troupe of three canoes (my(then)new husband  my sis, her husband, and 4 kids). We slept in a cave over night and had a non-life-threatening tipover. I was Pocahontas............. it was exhilarating.

"The Moving Finger writes, and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line.."

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Favorite childhood memory

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary