navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Where do you go to write? I need some advice..
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Where do you go to write? I need some advice.. Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley

0 posted 2008-04-30 11:20 AM

Friends,  I need some advice. You are all amazing, creative people and I’d like some input for a project I’m developing.

First, the project will be in Second Life – a 3D virtual world. I have the opportunity to create an environment for poets at the International Library Island.  The original concept was to emphasize creativity and perhaps performance – and this led me to include songwriting since lyrics are so closely tied to poetry.

Someone suggested a poetry pavilion – but that would only be used for poetry readings and author meet/greets. I’d like to do something that gives poets some space to think- an atmosphere that is conducive to thinking and writing…my first instinct was to name it The White Dove – after Becky. But there is a certain spirituality about the name that I do not want to use for this – perhaps later, a garden named after her would be good.

Then thought maybe it would be fun to include songwriters since lyrics are poetry. This would then allow new songwriters to showcase their work too.  This means music..and dancing!

So what I need are ideas on themes..and names…it’s been suggested that I do a 50’s beatnik style place – and that’s cool but..

What inspires you? Where are you the most creative? What kind of environment sparks your muse? Today, if someone said..let me take you someplace that would be the perfect writing spot..where would that be?

Any/all ideas are welcome…when I’m done..I’ll post a video of the creation!!

Thanks in advance!

© Copyright 2008 Poet deVine - All Rights Reserved
Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
1 posted 2008-04-30 11:41 AM

The beach..

Maybe an area on the beach that has cabana's, umbrella's...a retreat.  

"too bad ignorance isn't painful"
~Unknown~

The Shadow in Blue
since 2006-05-18
Posts 493
EL, Michigan
2 posted 2008-04-30 01:52 PM

A Dance/Music Hall (theme).

I'm inspired by high energy, music, and dancing. Anything that can stimulate me to the fullest really inspires me the most. Think House of Blues.
A subdued Housed of Blues at that.

~Jillian

[This message has been edited by The Shadow in Blue (04-30-2008 02:23 PM).]

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2008-04-30 02:09 PM

Hmmmm....

Just last night in McPherson, Kansas, at Java John's [coffee house] we had a Celtic group, Switchback [www.waygoodmusic.com] perform. The owner's wife and I talked, because this was her first go at allowing a "performance" in her fairly new shop. A moderate success, because press didn't go out early enough, still, she saw the impact of sales and I told her "hey, open mic for poets and storytellers would be a boon...a once a month thing, perhaps" and her eyes just sparkled at the thought of it.

I was asked to read some of my poetry, but I'm not a balladeer and wasn't prepared, so I opted to do so another time. But mixing singers/songwriters, performance artists, even comedians [because there's a definite art in writing that medium], with open mic poets and such would do well in a combination coffee house/bar venue. Heck, even better yet if the establishment serves food, right?

You're probably dealing with folks of all ages at SL, so you've got to find a name that crosses any generational gap.

I'll put my thinking cap on.

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

4 posted 2008-04-30 03:41 PM

Dear Poet Devine,

You're talking about places to read and present poems and music, then you're talking about places to write it.  The first must be a public space, right?  Sometimes book stores, bars, and magazines sponsor readings.  Coffee houses as well, certainly, and occasionally cities and towns will sponsor  reading series or reading and music series by themselves or in conjunction with The National Endowment of The Arts locally funded programs.  I've known individuals who've set up reading series.  They run off posters, place them in store fronts to generate publicity, do the introductions, pass the hat, take admissions, set up the reading lists and manage the time limits.  It's a labor of love, and it quickly brings contacts from other members in the local poetry community.

As for places I go to write?  I carry a notebook and a pen with me everyplace I go.  I also bring a supply of three by five cards for those times when a notebook just looks stupid.  I have a little leather pocket folder and I can make notes on the cards.  I can write anyplace, and there are times I am quite stubborn about doing so.  I try not to jot notes at a funeral, mind you.

I will lie in bed in the early morning and make notes or transcribe notes and see where the notes take me.  In the evenings I will often do further drafts on the computer, if there's something that's feeling hot.  I try to get in at least a couple of hours a day.  If I'm out at a quiet place, I'll try to write sometimes, but usually for me such places are only good for jottings.  I'm too self conscious to get as fully involved in the process as I like to be.

Is that the sort of information you were looking for?

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
5 posted 2008-04-30 10:38 PM

I am not able to write in any social atmosphere.  But when I am alone in my room, with my books and my peace and quite, undisturbed by the rest of the world, then I may sometimes find the craft in me to write something.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Where do you go to write? I need some advice..

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary