navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » I need some help.....
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic I need some help..... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
MegMeg
since 2007-05-14
Posts 85
Virginia

0 posted 2007-09-25 08:12 PM

i am in quite a dilemma(however you spell that), i am very bored with life, not suicidal or anything but  i can't find things exciting. Usually i'm a very happy person but i can't seem to get that happiness right now. I don't have any money and i am very young too young to do anyhting really exciting like go to another country or what not. I still have to go to school and i try hard, but it's just not fun anymore. I don't do anything and i can't find anyhting to do. Nothing seems appealing and i dont a ride anywhere.. most of friends are in marching and the rest i not close enough to ask them to do something. while i await help im going to attempt to write a peom about it... alas, cruel boredom.....

© Copyright 2007 Megan - All Rights Reserved
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
1 posted 2007-09-25 10:29 PM

Simple...first you go down to the burn center at your nearest hospital and look at the patients. Then travel over to the cancer clinic where people from 6 to 80 are suffering from cancer. Then go home and see how hard it is to feel sorry for yourself because you are bored.

If you can't find anything interesting about life at your age, you are not looking. You havea whole world in front of you. Open your eyes and grab it!

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
2 posted 2007-09-26 07:05 AM

Uh, library?

Charles Portis, "The Masters of Atlantis" is hilarious. And, no, it's not a fantasy novel.

Or what about volunteer work (To be honest, it was Mike's post that got me thinking about this one)? I'm sure there are service clubs somewhere where you live. If not, start one.

I helped start one at my high school -- a long time ago on a continent far, far away.

moondogz
since 2007-05-01
Posts 397
Great White North
3 posted 2007-09-26 09:15 AM

Hey MegMeg, yes life can be boring, but it
doesn't have to be. Obviously I'm not going to repeat the suggestions that have already been mentioned, valid as they may be.
    What came to my mind was mentoring, which I feel can be a life altering experience.
    One thing I like to do to get my creative juices flowing is to write or draw with my non-dominant hand, that'll help you gain access to your inner MegMeg.
    One last thing...ever try drawing or painting on your computers paint file? I think you'd be amazed at what's possible.
   Anyway, hang in there MegMeg.

moon.

moondogz
since 2007-05-01
Posts 397
Great White North
4 posted 2007-09-26 10:02 AM

Oops! almost forgot one of The most important "boredom busters."

A MUSICAL INSTRUMENT!

I play a guitar and not very well..but, I enjoy doing so immensely.....amen.

moon.

Edward Grim
since 2005-12-18
Posts 1154
Greenville, South Carolina
5 posted 2007-09-26 11:38 AM

quote:
i am very bored with life, not suicidal or anything

Wow, I've never heard of people committing suicide due to ennui. I think Balla may have a good idea; you should take his advice.

"Well I wish that you would cheat with someone, 'cause you're like diggin' holes in water and we know that can't be done."

MoonShadow
since 2001-08-02
Posts 943
Dark side of the Moon.
6 posted 2007-09-26 11:51 AM

If none of the above strikes your fancy and you still want to put a little magic in your life, without costing a fortune... Check out the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism). I am sure you will find a group of representatives near you... where ever you are.

http://www.sca.org/
Good luck,

MoonShadow

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
7 posted 2007-09-27 10:00 PM

Alas, cruel boredom, indeed.

It is far too easy to become bored today. Too much comes at us, everything is too easy, and I'll bet you've never picked up a chick from the nest, or dog's poop in your life, right?

That's okay, it's not expected today.

Except that people still do it.  

All of the above responses were indeed in your favor. However, my suggestion might be a bit easier, in several ways.

You see, around this country, in our times now as we know them, there are several "safe people" in need. They are senior citizens, some of which are in their own homes; some of which are within hospice reach; and some of them are in hospitals. I say "safe people" because in these instances, your folks would know that YOU were safe in going into these zones of life.

So, go volunteer, or perhaps get a part-time job of helping with senior citizens so you can get a first hand idea of what it might be like in 60 years, when you might need assistance with living.

Some nursing homes are now called Eden Centers, and that is because they allow volunteers with worthy animals such as people-friendly cats, dogs, and birds come into their centers to help ease the life of the elderly.

Children are bored because no one talks to them about what they can do. Mothers and Fathers are far too busy making sure that the mortgage is paid for, the insurance premiums are met, the bills are paid for the use of your computer access.

So take a break from your "oh-woe is me" sentiments and look around yourself. While a lot of your input is coming from some generations past your decade, remember that we were there, too! I remember one summer that seemed so interminably long, that I couldn't wait for school! Yet, my ever-wise father said, "don't wish your life away."

It comes at you, faster than Nike ever could.

It was brave of you to say you need some help.

Now, take some of the comments from your peers and poet friends, and realize that you have a whole world to offer to others.

And then break open a book or two...

Regards

" It matters not this distance now  " Excerpt, Yesterday's Love
~*~
KRJ

MegMeg
since 2007-05-14
Posts 85
Virginia
8 posted 2007-09-28 04:55 PM

It's not that i'm lazy, i have picked up dog poo, almost every weekend, my uncle has given it the afffectionate name dung duty. I have seen a birds nest on the ground before, but it had eggs in it and i have always heard that if you mess with a birds eggs, she will not have anything to do with it and leave it to die. and i would love to do some volunteer work, but i do not have a ride anywhere. Both my aunt and uncle work later and by the time they get home it is usally too late to do something or they are too tired to... nevertheless thank you for the suggestions i will try to do them, Have a lovely day.
Edward Grim
since 2005-12-18
Posts 1154
Greenville, South Carolina
9 posted 2007-09-28 05:15 PM

Do you have a video camera? Make short films, that will eat up all your time. It's loads of fun and a damn good creative outlet.

quote:
it had eggs in it and i have always heard that if you mess with a birds eggs, she will not have anything to do with it and leave it to die

Yeah, that's been disproved. It was just an urban myth. Just thought I'd let you know.

"Well I wish that you would cheat with someone, 'cause you're like diggin' holes in water and we know that can't be done."

MegMeg
since 2007-05-14
Posts 85
Virginia
10 posted 2007-09-28 07:02 PM

hmmm.. thanks. aww i feel bad now... oh next time i'll pick it up.. thanks i'll try it!
Tears-of-Sanity
since 2007-09-05
Posts 121
Kingdom Hearts
11 posted 2007-10-08 12:53 PM

Hey, you know... I have been in your situation before, and I got bored easily of everything.  I couldn't find fun in anything that I did and do you know how I ended up now?  Right now, because I fear that I don't prefect my work I don't trust what I do anymore and I have to go through with the same thing over and over and over... until my mother taught me this thing...

She told me, whenever you do something... put on a smile, that smile is for yourself and not for anyone else.  Smile to yourself and act as if yourself is watching you doing it.  Be creative and imagine that what you do is a group work and that others are doing their parts as well,  then when jumping to the other task, talk to yourself telling her how great you did that previous work.. You don't have to be told to do something to do it... You have arms, and you have legs... use them and do what you think is best for the moment.  

Find something that you really think is worth going on for, and try to make something new and special.  Think of that special stuff that no one but YOU can do it.. go for it and perfect it...  MAKE PEOPLE WATCH!!  and amaze them with your talent and ability.  

I don't know if I went off the subject, but I really believe that what I said can be helpful... I hope so.  Good luck and let me know if you have decided on anything

Tears of Sanity~

bnabors
since 2007-10-08
Posts 20

12 posted 2007-10-09 12:07 PM

Meg Meg
Your request for help has touched many hearts. are you familure with meditation ? It isthe oposite of praying (asking) meditation is listening for answers to your prayers try them both there is a devine being that cares for you. GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I.
Bob Nabors

moondogz
since 2007-05-01
Posts 397
Great White North
13 posted 2007-10-11 09:32 PM

This is what I was talking about megmeg...painting on the computer..
moon

[This message has been edited by Ron (10-12-2007 05:58 PM).]

MegMeg
since 2007-05-14
Posts 85
Virginia
14 posted 2007-10-12 05:43 PM

that looks fun
moondogz
since 2007-05-01
Posts 397
Great White North
15 posted 2007-12-15 06:01 AM

how is wee megmeg these days?
MegMeg
since 2007-05-14
Posts 85
Virginia
16 posted 2007-12-22 03:40 PM

pretty good!
thank you for asking!
my creativity has been low and i have written in a while, but im good!

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

17 posted 2008-01-07 02:45 AM

Dear MegMeg,

The late Richard Hugo, a very fine poet, used to say with reasonable frequency that "All a poet's problems are psychological, but all his solutions are technical."  MegMeg, why not do yourself a favor and think of this as a writing problem.  I'm sure you can butt your head against the other more powerful people in your life much more competently than the rest of us.  Being under the thumb of parents or aunts and uncles or teachers or just about anybody would have me howling for air in about twenty minutes, and I'm 59.

Jimminy Cricket!  

Why not simply do some free-writing about it.  Get a favorite pencil or pen and a cheepo notebook and set an alarm-clock for ten minutes.  When the ten minutes starts
write down "I am bored!" and keep on writing for the whole ten minutes until the alarm clock goes off.  If you can't get started, simply keep writing" I am bored" until you have something else come to mind, and then write that down.  Simply, don't stop.  Write whatever comes to mind, about boredome, the Red Socks, pencils, knitting, music, memories, whatever floats to the top.

Because you're a writer, MegMeg, you have an extra choice that the rest of the folks out there don't have.  They have to bear it.  You, on the other hand, can free-write about it, then use that material, if you like any of it for material for a poem or a prose piece.  If you find something strong in the material, you can free-write about that, or if you're still feeling bored, you can go back to free-writing about the boredom until you look at the material you've written down and you may actuall start to understand something about why your bored.

That's secondary, though.  The writing's the point of it all; that and turning the yetch! into Wow! simply by being who you are.  Let me know if it works out, huh?  Best wishes, BobK.

MegMeg
since 2007-05-14
Posts 85
Virginia
18 posted 2008-01-11 06:07 PM

thanks BobK, i definitely give a shot! and i'll let you now the outcome
oceanvu2
since 2007-02-24
Posts 1066
Santa Monica, California, USA
19 posted 2008-01-11 07:30 PM

Hi Meg-Meg --  Off the wall thought:  Read William Pirsig's "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance."  It's still in print in paperback.  It's not particularly about Zen OR Motorcycle Maintenance, but it has a lot to do with moving the mind from ennui through clinical depression to joy.  It's also a a very engaging personal story, not a tract of any sort.

Don't know if you live in an isolated area.  No busses?

Ennui is endemic in the young and French poseurs.  Joy is also endemic in the young.  I don't know about the French guys, though.

If you can turn the notion of toughing things out upside down, look at it all as a piece of cake you can handle -- whether that's true or not -- the smiles come more readily.  I had a teenage daughter who was so self-bored that she would come home from school and lock herself in her room.  Eventually she noticed, "Wow, that's boring!"  So she joined both the soccer and the softball team.  Totally unlikely for her, but it got her out of the house and she perked up.  Sometimes, in order to find what works, you gotta try different things.

Maybe you could make a list of "Ten Dumb Things I Would Never Do," and then do two or three of them just for the sheer contrariousness of it all.

Best, Jim  

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » I need some help.....

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary