navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » On Being Grown-Up
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic On Being Grown-Up Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Kellie_Cantrell
since 2002-05-22
Posts 1667
New York

0 posted 2007-08-28 02:50 PM

Everyone is expected to grow up at some point in life, the question is when.  I believe that there are many factors which contribute to and derive from being a grown- up.  There are abilities and qualities that one must master before they can title themselves as such.  Before we get into that though think of the qualities that you possess now, and decide whether you think you have the ability to categorize yourself as a grown-up.   I am 22 years old.  By default, I am an adult, I cannot classify myself as a grown-up because I do not yet myself have all of the grown-up luxuries, such as and not limited to bills, and children.  Now, just because you have bills and children does not entitle you to be titled a grown-up either, just having these things means that you are adult.  

Grown-Ups posess a knowledge of the world, from a prospective of responsibility and discernment.  They can support themselves financially, know right from wrong and have the ability to take responsibilities for their own actions.

Now, our mind serves as our atelier giving us a place to mold and become who we are.  In our atelier, we must pave our path and become adult.  It takes a lot of work and refinement of character to obtain grown-uphood.  Adulthood is given of age.

It is my belief that to be grown-up you have to be able to discern right from wrong without the help of your parents. Be able to support yourself financially and take responsibility for your own actions.  Now I am open to debate on this as I intended to seek out knowledge and to share my opinion with the world, So lets see what kind of discussions we can get out of this.

© Copyright 2007 Kellie M. Cantrell - All Rights Reserved
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
1 posted 2007-08-28 05:56 PM

So are we talking about maturity here? You are certainly correct that age is only a number. It's rather like the guy that was demanding a raise from his boss proclaiming his twenty years of experience. But the boss corrected that what he had was one year of experience - twenty times.

Or it's like the geniuses who are so brilliant but have no common sense. Typically the need to declare one's self as mature is a great indication that one is not.

Maturity usually is demonstrated by our reputation which is obviously established by time and performance. I'm interested to see where this discussion goes though. I do have an Aunt who at the age of 68 proves you don't have to grow up in this life time!

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane,
I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Kellie_Cantrell
since 2002-05-22
Posts 1667
New York
2 posted 2007-08-28 06:47 PM

I think maturity for sure stems from aspects of this, however I think that it is the experiences that mold us into a person that can discern from right and wrong. Of course we are going to make mistakes along the way. We have to take responsibility for those mistakes though and thats where we as a whole typically go wrong, its the pride and ego complexities that hold us captive in a sense.  On the broader spectrum of things, past is a factor in the present and the present definately is a direct result onto the future but if we stay stuck in the past and present then ultimately we destroy the future before we even get the opportunity to let it take hold of us.  

Its like standing atop shifting sand. Without a firm foundation underneath us, of course we are going to fall, without the responsibility, discernment and the maturity of course we are going to come up short and fail.

Prime example: Britney Spears.

Too immature to face the facts of her own actions, she is falling and being taken captive by her own immaturity and lack of responsibility, but she isn't just effecting her own judgements and decisions but for two children.  Her children aren't being taught how to take responsibility because their own mother is to immature for that herself, and if she cannot be a rolemodel then how are they supposed to ever grow up if they can't learn right from wrong. Which clearly Britney is currently falling into. Britney is an adult, but far from being a grown-up in my opinion.

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
3 posted 2007-08-28 07:27 PM

Kellie,
For the record we learn most from our failures. And the truth is the reason we make the majority of them while we're young is exactly becuase we are busy making the mistakes that teach us. Ms. Spears biggest problem is that she is making them all publicly. The test will be what she learns, if anything, that will decide whether or not she matures and grows. So I'm not too worried about her mistakes, though many are pretty foolish. However, she is young enough to recover.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane,
I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Kellie_Cantrell
since 2002-05-22
Posts 1667
New York
4 posted 2007-08-28 07:33 PM

There is a great deal of truth in that Larry.  If my dirty laundry were all over the media, I don't think I would be far behind Britney, so with a grain of salt here, I think its safe to say that Britney is coping in the best way she feels she can.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » On Being Grown-Up

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary