navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Motherly Advice
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Motherly Advice Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

0 posted 2007-05-13 12:20 PM

In honor of mother's day, I thought I might glean some wisdom from the mothers at Pip and mothers OF Pip poets.

So please share with us, some insight to your mother, and yes, if there is any motherly advice you think that should be shared, this is the time and place.

My own mother never really felt like a "proper" mother--because she was happiest working, and truthfully, she wasn't that enthralled with laundry and shopping and housework and such. She was at her best in a career, and she managed to make one for herself without the benefit of a high school diploma or college.

I remember when she took a job at a department store called "Woolco"--kind of like our "Wal-Mart" today. They put her in the "lamp" department.

Smile. She shined.

A lot of women would have just changed the bulbs and dusted the lamps, but my mom really got into it. She learned to make lamps, and was very creative. She was an attentive salesperson, personable and polite, and lo and behold, one day, someone else took notice. It wasn't long before she was hired away by another company--West Building Materials.

And it wasn't enough for her that she knew the stock, and took personal care with her customers--my mom learned to read blueprints and do estimates--back when it was "the hard way" too. She was lauded for her accuracy, as one local contractor, impressed with her skills, built a house from the ground up, entirely in trust upon the estimate she gave for materials. She came within fifty dollars. (That's really GOOD.)

She did this WITHOUT A COMPUTER folks, and I am talking foundation up, nails, wood, wiring, the WORKS.

Her skill was noticed by another company, and soon she was hired away AGAIN, and before I knew it, my mom was pulling on boots at five a.m. to head construction crews as she was made Vice-president, in charge of construction for a local company named "Turn Key Realty." She put in 18 hour days, some days, and yep, she had the total respect of her brawny crew too.

Then? She was hired BACK by West Building Materials.

(They missed her.)

So as I was fumbling my way out of college I asked her what her secret was...and she told me this:

"Don't decide on a career as goal. Take a job, any job, and make that your career--there's no such thing as a dead end job."

Well, not for her there wasn't.

But that's my motherly advice story, and I would sure love to hear from you all, too.

I'm very proud of my mother. Her strength during these past years are an ideal of fortitude I will always hold in my mind and closer to my heart.

My mother--she wasn't born into "class"--she was born with it.

Happy Mother's Day Mom--and to all of you.

© Copyright 2007 serenity blaze - All Rights Reserved
Drauntz
Member Elite
since 2007-03-16
Posts 2905
Los Angeles California
1 posted 2007-05-13 12:55 PM

My dear kind SB, happy mother's day to you!!!
many hugs.

My mother's teaching "be respectful, be humble, be happy with what you got and what you are doing, do not stop learning new things."

My love for her is when she dies, I do not know why my life shall go on.

I have been extremely pampered and spoiled by her. (same as my father)

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
2 posted 2007-05-13 11:38 AM

One of my mother's favorite sayings:

"Everyone's queer but thee and me, and sometimes thou art a bit peculiar."

Her dictionary definition of queer:

2 a : differing in some odd way from what is usual or normal b (1) : ECCENTRIC , UNCONVENTIONAL (2) : mildly insane : TOUCHED

That was a long time ago....sigh...I miss my mom

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
3 posted 2007-05-13 03:20 PM

Serene One,
What an impressive story. Thanks for sharing that. My mom was so shy that she dropped out of school in ninth grade. And my dad was polar opposite. But dad died four years ago at 72. So needless to say I was worried about mom. Needlessly. She is enjoying her independence. My mother had a few sayings when I was growing up too:

when telling her we were bored and wanted to know what to do she would say:

"Spit in a shoe and give to the teacher at half past two."

"Go fly a kite."

But mostly I love her spunk. My son put a cluster of fire crackers in a #10 tin can and lit them while grandma was watching TV and scared her to death. She was a good sport about it. A couple days later she spotted my son with his back to the door in his bedroom. She knew I held bottle rockets in my hand and let them explode. So she tried to do that. But she wasn't prepared for the sting on her arm and let go. The bottle rocket whistled right past Jr.'s ear and hit the wall, turned left into the corner, hit the next wall and shot to the floor behind the bed and exploded. Jr. was all freaked out and scared to death a fire might start. So while he tried to "save the house" grandma was doubled over laughing hysterically saying "I got you so good!"

Yup, that's the mom I grew up with. I'm glad she's spending the weekend with us.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane,
I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
4 posted 2007-05-13 05:08 PM

giggling at Larry's story!
Thanks for sharing, Drauntz and Martie!
Serenity, what a wonderful treasure of a mom!

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
5 posted 2007-05-13 06:03 PM

The largest lesson I got from my mother came without a word being spoken to me at all.
It seems that all throughout my life, my house became the neighborhood hang out, and almost every kid in the neightborhood called her "Mom" (and many of those kids still call her that today as adults with their own kids). They also talked to her if they had challeges they were facing.
I learned that your personality was granted to you, not to be held and enjoyed, rather to be given away freely that others might benefit.

What would you attempt to do...if you knew you could not fail?.
www.myspace.com/mindlesspoet

aziza
Member Elite
since 2006-07-09
Posts 2995
Lumpy Oatmeal makes me Crazy!
6 posted 2007-05-13 06:39 PM

My Mom wanted her children to know "freedom" -- we ran like gypsies.  It was not unusual to be gone from morning til evening ... wandering hay trails or riding horses or going miles upon miles on mini bikes or in our cars when we got older.  She wanted us to be independent .. and to know that we had the world to explore.

Alison

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
7 posted 2007-05-13 09:14 PM

You are asking for input from mothers and Toerag hasn't responded? Just don't seem right....
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
8 posted 2007-05-13 09:36 PM

I am enjoying this thread, serenity, but then, I always appreciate your threads, even in the times of sadness.  

In reflecting on the advice received, I cannot help but think of all of the mothers that have affected my life.  Each one of them gave something very special of themselves, and have colored my life in exquisite ways.

And some quite hilarious ways.

So here's to the mothers who know that giving advice won't always be listened to, but will be remembered, thought of fondly with a bobbing head in final understanding...and here is to the mothers who don't hold their breath for the bobbing heads.

Thanks, sweetie!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Motherly Advice

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary