navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Day Jobs?
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Day Jobs? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
oceanvu2
since 2007-02-24
Posts 1066
Santa Monica, California, USA

0 posted 2007-05-07 03:27 PM

Anybody have a day job?  How about a day-job-vu?

Wince.

Jim

© Copyright 2007 Jim Aitken - All Rights Reserved
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
1 posted 2007-05-07 04:22 PM

24/7 Jim, 24/7. I just transfer from job to job. LOL.
Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
2 posted 2007-05-07 09:00 PM

I don't know many that can make it on writing poetry.

What would you attempt to do...if you knew you could not fail?.
www.myspace.com/mindlesspoet

oceanvu2
since 2007-02-24
Posts 1066
3 posted 2007-05-07 09:10 PM

Ringo:  I don't know anybody who can make it writing poetry.  Just curious as to what people do to get by.

Best, Jim

PhaerieChild
since 1999-08-30
Posts 1787
Aloha, Oregon
4 posted 2007-05-07 09:25 PM

I spend my day surfing and sometimes I even get paid
oceanvu2
since 2007-02-24
Posts 1066
5 posted 2007-05-07 09:52 PM

Phaerie:  Ooh, I like that one!  If I could get paid to surf, I'd be a $100-aire.  Is there a secret?

Best, Jim

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
6 posted 2007-05-07 10:57 PM

Jim,
I actually spend my day writing... paperwork, schedules, receiving logs, etc.
Just curious... what is your answer to your question?

What would you attempt to do...if you knew you could not fail?.
www.myspace.com/mindlesspoet

oceanvu2
since 2007-02-24
Posts 1066
7 posted 2007-05-07 11:14 PM

Hi Ringo!  Actually, the only day job I've ever had, outside of the Army, involved working for myself.  I freelanced at one thing or another for 30 years.  I don't necessarily recommend this; the pressures seem no less than anything else.

I have a friend from Chicago who flies into LA now and then to visit.  He gets a kick out of me because I don't own a dress shirt, suit, tie, or respectable shoes.  I get a kick out of him because he is an extremely successful salesman, Brooks Brothers to the max.

We are best friends since high school anyway.

Best, Jim

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
8 posted 2007-05-11 10:27 PM

Well, Jim, you've given a lot of yourself to us in that last comment.  I've been in the legal field for 25 years as a professional assistant/legal secretary/paralegal.  Prior to that, you can add another 15 years work for businesses, both as a secretary and executive professional, including the time I was going to school.  I started with my parents' business.

Right now, I'm between jobs, which has been a godsend, considering the number of years I have been on someone's payroll. I do have a novel out there, I'm also working on a second novel and a manuscript of poetry.  I think any writer has to have a special edge to write in today's market. We all have a story in us, it has been said.  But one story doesn't necessarily make a bank account.  

Writing can be a wondrous hobby, filler, keeper of promise to one's dream.  I do not know if all of us might become the next best seller, but it is my hope for all that I know who wish that, that it be so.  So, we, you and I, write.  In some hope that this desire is fulfilled.

It seems that for every person I have ever met, they had a secret within them to fulfill; something that had to be done.  Some have achieved that moment...some have dwelled in the moment, and found it wasn't quite what they thought it might be.  

Regardless of your day job, or night job, or fly-by-time job...make every one you work for, proud to have known you.  

They may, someday, be your best critic, and/or best salesperson....

Write on!

" It matters not this distance now  " Excerpt, Yesterday's Love
~*~
KRJ

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

9 posted 2007-05-12 03:04 AM

Funny you should mention this--I saw this guy on the evening news and his day job was "poet". He had a proper old fashioned typewriter, a cozy spot under a tree, and would beckon to the people on their way to shopping, or whatever--

"Y'wanna a poem?"

Yep. He would then write them a poem, on the spot, on the topic of their preference.

I thought it was delightful and unique--the poems were "free" and personalized, and people seemed more than happy to tip the guy.

His best take-home "pay" was $150.

Gotta love it, eh?

As for me? I'm still not sure what I wanna be when I grow up--an adult, hopefully.

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
10 posted 2007-05-12 11:58 AM

Why do you say "day jobs", instead of just "jobs"?  
Edward Grim
since 2005-12-18
Posts 1154
Greenville, South Carolina
11 posted 2007-05-12 02:49 PM

Ess,

[Day job (n.) - one's regular job and main source of income, usually viewed in contrast to a speculative or irregular endeavor]

The last part meaning, Clark Kent's job is being Superman and being a journalist is his "day job." Maybe Jim doesn't want to know who wears tights and flies around. That's why he said "day jobs." I know for a fact that Karen fights crime on weekends. Her superhero name is The Blaze; sorry to give ya away K, I have a big mouth.

Personally, I'm trying to get a job as a butcher. Sent in the application! That will be my day job. My "job" will be assuming the role of the marine biology crime fighter known as "Water Depth Man." I wear skin-tight blue biker shorts and a gas mask. My weapon is a copper harpoon gun. They'll never know it's me.
Aquaman will be my chambermaid!!

Head Cheese & Chicken Feet

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
12 posted 2007-05-12 06:02 PM

Thanks, I suppose that makes a speck of sense.    

"Personally, I'm trying to get a job as a butcher."

Why?  

Aurelian
since 2007-03-20
Posts 109
TX, USA
13 posted 2007-05-13 08:20 AM

Landscaping and light construction work, general handyman.
Edward Grim
since 2005-12-18
Posts 1154
14 posted 2007-05-13 11:29 PM

Man Ess, you sure are inquisitive. That's cool though.

I've always liked butchers; I've written enough poems about 'em. Mostly because when I was a kid the local butcher always gave me really dirty looks. I thought the dude hated me and for some reason I liked that. I've always been fond of people who don't like me. Maybe it's because our enemies know us better than our friends; suffice it to say, I was a weird kid. My parents thought I was just being hyper paranoid about the butcher; yet another reason to call in the frickin' therapist.

But anyways, until I get my film career going I want something to do. And if I can't work with actors, I might as well work with another form of flesh. And I'm really good with a knife (God, that sounds bad) heh

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
15 posted 2007-05-14 12:38 PM

That seems rather backward.  If you are interested in filmmaking, and can use a camera, why don't you seek out some of the many media-jobs out there that involve work with videocamera, editing, helping production, etc.?  It seems those would be a better token and stepping stone toward a career in filmmaking than becoming a butcher.

rwood
Member Elite
since 2000-02-29
Posts 3793
Tennessee
16 posted 2007-05-14 08:06 AM

yep, job/s, plural.

I'm a freelance writer and I own a housekeeping business, but I also do landscaping, floral design, interior design, carpet cleaning, and pressure washing: Anything that cleans and beautifies house and home.  

all this after 12 years of banking/finance, 8 years of hospitality management, and 4 years of dietary assisting.

Oh yeah, I forgot. I went back to school in between, and then there's the family farm.

Writing isn't work to me and I've lucked into it with utmost delight. It's sort of like finding a treasure in the attic, and I'm certainly no expert in what I've found.

I travel with my partner who's a marketing manager for a builder. We visit the homes of people he's built for, do photo shoots for magazines, and I assist in the making of those spreads. The owners allow me to do their story. I also provide the editors blurbs and the specs for the homes. Happened quite by accident. I was at the right place at the right time.

People just start talking to me and I take their stories to heart. All their hard work toward a dream, their stories of love, life and family; all it takes to turn a house into a home. It needs to be recorded, so I listen and I do my best to return to them a small token of thanks for their hospitality--Naturally, I was brought up that way. I give them a printed pathway of where they came from and how they got to where they are at with visuals. If it gets published, great, if not, there is no such thing as loss from where I'm sitting, which is usually on their front porch, barefooted, sippin' tea. It's all my kind of poetry to me.

What I've learned: Don't take your gifts for granted, because even something so common to a southern gal as a southern drawl can be a friend-maker to those who've not heard it up-close and personal. Doors open in the most unexpected places.

Sunshine is right, there is a story in everyone and every house has one too.

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
17 posted 2007-05-14 09:44 AM

Education, education, education...  I've taught everything from Kindergarten beginning reading to High School English (poetry, of course) and algebra/geometry.  Give me a kid and a book, and I'll teach him/her what's in it.

I'm currently the Director at Sylvan Learning Centers on Cape Cod, (and I tutor algebra on the side) but I'm plotting my retirement.  I want to be able to sit back and work when I choose.. and still have an income, of course.. so I'll be writing for awhile yet...

Edward Grim
since 2005-12-18
Posts 1154
18 posted 2007-05-14 11:28 AM

"That seems rather backward.  If you are interested in filmmaking, and can use a camera, why don't you seek out some of the many media-jobs out there that involve work with videocamera, editing, helping production, etc.?  It seems those would be a better token and stepping stone toward a career in filmmaking than becoming a butcher."

I'm pretty sure I realize that, Ess. Finding a job in someone else's production and getting paid for it is nearly impossible for a non-professional. I'll help my friends with their projects but sure won't get paid for it, and I'm not looking to. If there was a job like that available for me, I think I'd take it before working with meat. But I need dough to get my own projects off the ground.

scarletbegonias
since 2007-05-15
Posts 59

19 posted 2007-05-20 02:20 AM

my day job and my night job are the same...
i am Mommy (5 daughters)

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Day Jobs?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary