navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » grave of the fireflies
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic grave of the fireflies Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space

0 posted 2006-01-20 02:01 AM

if you've seen adult anime you know that they are capable of putting some of the best film to shame. if not, disregard the fact that it's animated and watch this movie for the absolute piece of art it is. it's an anti-war movie, WITHOUT politicizing. after an air raid, a brother and sister are left to fend for themselves in war torn japan. i don't want to ruin it beyond that, and it's a hard film to describe and i'm sure some people were already turned off when i said anti-war movie. for those who will give it a chance, buy some kleenex, trust me. if you don't cry, you simply have no heart.
© Copyright 2006 raphael giuffrida - All Rights Reserved
SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
1 posted 2006-01-20 09:04 AM

can you rent it at a Hollywood Video?? What section do you look in for a movie like that?
littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
2 posted 2006-01-20 09:09 AM

Will have to search for that one too.

There is this very cool CD/DVD independent run shop - I love it, has posters all over the walls of the greats and truly amazing choices in music and movies . . .

The best I have been able to find is Hellsing.

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
3 posted 2006-01-20 11:22 AM

heya sexy, don't know about hollywood video, but most video stores have an anime section now as it's finally catching on here that not all animation is kid's stuff.

sue, awesome, they should have it there or can tell you where to find it. if they don't have it they gotta have ghost in the shell, either movie or the series is brilliant. one thing when watching anime. DO NOT listen to english audio, use japanese and read the subtitles. Few english dubs put in the effort and acting the pieces deserve.

[This message has been edited by Ron (01-20-2006 01:29 PM).]

littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
4 posted 2006-01-20 03:17 PM

Thanks for that bit of advice, I never did that before with the dubbing.

Was starting to watch one (can't think of it now) with Billy, he loved it until the beautiful little girl turned into this scary vamp thing, (whoops)  

You have to know what it is, it was like she was a half vamp and young and there was like a Vamp Swat team that she was to belong to but she didn't know it yet, like her destiny - that's going to drive me nuts.

I have been trying to find Ghost . . . all I have found are PS2 games.

(How many times can Sue say like in one post?)

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
5 posted 2006-01-20 08:33 PM

like, i dunno? i thought you were doing a shaggy impersonation. anyhow, i've heard of the one you're talking about, haven't seen it yet though. i had a short list and megs extended it, just amazing stuff out there. i just can't stand the english dubs personally, just my opinion. i like to hear the native language of the movie, and the true expressions from the original actors, that's just me.

[This message has been edited by Aenimal (01-21-2006 12:37 AM).]

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
6 posted 2006-01-21 11:11 PM

fudge! gosh darn....fiddlesticks!
Kaoru
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-06-07
Posts 3892
where the wild flowers grow
7 posted 2006-02-01 02:15 PM

Netflix has a pretty decent anime selection. They have a lot of stuff, and it's totally worth it..

In fact, they should be paying ME for this.

=)

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » grave of the fireflies

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary