navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » and yet, we can't find a way to get along
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic and yet, we can't find a way to get along Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space

0 posted 2006-01-13 12:03 PM

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4754996
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4152447.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/1905363.stm

© Copyright 2006 raphael giuffrida - All Rights Reserved
Nightshade
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-08-31
Posts 13962
just out of reach
1 posted 2006-01-13 10:11 AM

Awwwwwwwwww........thankyou for this Raph.
Kinda reminds me of when I was little and we had a budgie named Robbie. He was certainly an odd bird. Words came easily to him and he had a childlike personality.
  Before any of us realized just how cruel it was to own an alligator, our family bought a tiny one. We named him Ollie and he was oh, maybe ten inches long if that. Ollie was lonely though. Me being at school all day, Mom and Dad gone to their business, my sister Enchantress at work also. He needed companionship.... of the animal/bird kind.
  One night when we had Robbie out for his usual evening flight of the livingroom and roll the ball on the rug game, we decided to bring Ollie out as well.
  The two bonded instantly!! Robbie would jump up onto Ollie's back and ride around the livingroom floor, and Ollie seemed quite interested in the budgies toys. But, naturally Ollie didn't live long. I mean...what do you feed a baby alligator? We tried everything. But, he just was not meant to be a pet. We were so sad and it took us a long time to forgive ourselves for purchasing  one of natures wild creatures.
   Nature is a wonder isn't it?
   lol.... so was my family.

Hugs, Chris

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
2 posted 2006-01-13 12:28 PM

heh. i've heard of dog people, cat people, but i guess we'll have to create a new aligator/budgie person category for ya.

the most interesting part of the tortoise/hippo story is that they've found a way to communicate with eachother(saw a report/not in the article) having created their own language of sorts..

littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
3 posted 2006-01-13 05:02 PM

they are smarter than we are . . .

I loved these articles, Raph.

Nightshade
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-08-31
Posts 13962
just out of reach
4 posted 2006-01-13 05:14 PM

Yes, Sue, you're right. Plus, animals live in the moment. They don't worry about the past, nor the future. They just live.
Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
5 posted 2006-01-13 05:19 PM

Adorable!!  I guess we have alot to learn from our animal friends.  Thanks for this!
Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
6 posted 2006-01-13 06:02 PM

Ah, what a wonderful story!
Thanks Raph.
And, what my sister said about the budgie and alligator?  
Yup, it's all true.

*She didn't tell you about the rabbit though, who would sit up and beg like a dog in front of the fridge for a carrot...or eat the rubber wheels off her doll buggy..and all mom's plants in the house!! LOL..sorry..got carried away.  I love animals.  
I have a budgie now who thinks he's human and is paper trained!..go ahead ask my sister...tell me to stop now pleeeease!..and her dog Meeka?  She wears human clothes!  I have pics... *

Nightshade
Member Patricius
since 2001-08-31
Posts 13962
just out of reach
7 posted 2006-01-13 06:07 PM

Yup...it's true...all of it....
Nancy Lee's budgie is paper trained. The weekend papers with all of the sale flyers in it is a tad heavy for him to pick up and bring to her, but he does his best.

Fee
since 2000-08-07
Posts 381
Melbourne, Australia
8 posted 2006-01-21 07:10 PM

They say we are meant to be the smarter of the animal kingdom, but it leaves us behind so much when we think about it.
I grew up with a cat named Fluffy, a dog named Rags and a budgie Named B.. (b for Bird) and I have pictures of the dog asleep in front of the heater, the cat asleep on the dog and the budgie eatind the flees off the cats fur..... now that was priceless... And they all never once attacked each other!!!
Thanks for the reminder to love those around us no matter what differences we may all have.(and for bring back a child hood memorie I had tucked away)
Big Hugs, Fee

Expressions,
are the most important aspects, they create impressions

0'.".'0  Just
((T))    Thinking
(..)(..) Of you
(```)_(```)

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » and yet, we can't find a way to get along

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary