navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Destination Insanity: Are we there yet?
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Destination Insanity: Are we there yet? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

0 posted 2005-05-14 08:52 PM

"In California, one of the newest and most illegal forms of body mutilation is to receive a scar from a self-inflicted handgun wound. HBO’s American Undercover did a documentary on one underground establishment that provides gunshots, quick medical attention, and a ride to the emergency room for paying “customers”."
http://goliath.frostburg.edu/botline/defacing.htm
I saw this done via a film short I saw on Sundance last night. This kid, who was apparently running out of skin to use as a canvas for tattooing, and also decided the body piercing was not um, "edgy" enough to express himself any longer, paid a man to shoot him with .38 revolver.

He said he considered it an artistic statement of non-violence, as well as a further layered artistic statement of how he felt "attacked by society."

The name of the short film/documentary was Dimension in Modern Primitivism.

At the end of the feature, the young man (who appeared to be rather good looking under all the self mutilations) actually stated that he hoped the addition of the scar would land him more modeling gigs.

(And they call me crazy?)

But how can this be legal? And do we have the right to tell someone they CAN'T pay someone to shoot them, provided it is not intent to kill?

(If this is better suited for philosophy, just move it for me Bro.)  

© Copyright 2005 serenity blaze - All Rights Reserved
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
1 posted 2005-05-14 09:25 PM

I like the part in that article that says,

Can you live with this for the rest of your life? How would you explain your gunshot wound, tattoo, or split tongue to your grandchildren? Is the impetuousness of youth really worth a lifelong condition?

I am wondering how to explain a little something to my grandchildren at the moment too actually.

Well where I live we can sure stop this kind of thing as long as we have gun control, and I hope that never stops in Canada.

I realize from the beginning of time, torture has been a means used to achieve either man or womanhood, but I thought we had progressed?  I guess I was wrong.

I think Karen, it depends on if it is legal or not?  Everyone has a right to do whatever they like with their own body, or at least I think they are? If not, they should be.  It stated it is a new craze but didn't say if it was legal or not.

I don't always understand what I see on folks, (like a gadzillion body piercings,) but respect the person's right to do it to themselves, and don't think I have any right to judge them for it.

Having said all that and nothing I will go back to

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

2 posted 2005-05-14 09:27 PM

laughing...

Okay, Shar, come back. Please? If you do? I'll tell ya what men do in some cultures with their private parts.

That oughtta cheer you up.

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
3 posted 2005-05-14 09:41 PM

You can't shock me now I watched an episode of Fear Factor cured me for life I tell you! LOL  Actually that episode cured me from ever watching Fear Factor again, come to think of it.
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

4 posted 2005-05-14 09:45 PM

I am so unbelievably dumb.

In an effort to shock you, I tried to google that mentioned topic.

I've seen a lot of pop ups in my time, but lawsy...

(not to worry bro, even if I found a decent link, I'll not post it here. Ya'll google the subject at your own risk.)

Sheesh.

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
5 posted 2005-05-14 09:47 PM

Of all the strange customs I have ever read about or seen, this is the one that got me the most - I have to tell you though it could be advantageous in a large crowd watching a parade maybe?   http://www.gluckman.com/LongNeck.html  Notice the name of that tribe?
http://www.djparadisetour.com/MaeHongSon/esecret.html

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

6 posted 2005-05-14 09:51 PM

LMAO...

you ain't nevah lied.

thanks for the grins, now I'll go read the rest.

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
7 posted 2005-05-14 10:09 PM

Oh!  In answer to your question - yes we are in my opinion.  Sadly, yes we are.
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
8 posted 2005-05-15 09:03 AM

While I've read of both female and male mutilation via several cultures, sometimes I begin to wonder at the aspect of those who have not suffered any form of mutilation, and somehow primally "need" the form of pain in order to feel that they "belong" to their "culture".

Certainly, it seems to be a source of continuous ritual from parent to child, in order for their culture to exist.

So I question whether or not the story you related, Karen [although I didn't read it as I didn't want to experience the pop-ups] begs the question whether or not this young man ever experienced circumcision...and further begs the study of finding out whether people who do experience such cultural "approved" techniques, such as circumcision, find a need or necessity to further decorate their bodies with tattoos, mutilation, holes, etc.

While, of course, it is all up to "choice" of a person to express their independence, even upon themselves, artistically or otherwise, I agree with the "how are you going to explain this to the grandkids" question.

I could barely explain the sudden need, decades ago, to get my ears pierced, as much as I fear needles.  But it was apparent that pierced earrings were going to be in style long after clip-ons, and from all accounts, were more "comfortable" to wear than clip-ons.

One of the things I find to be extremely sad, however, is that these young people feel that they have a need to "speak out against society" and mutilate their bodies as a "symbol" or commentary against how they feel society has leveled the playing field against them.

quote:
"Custom will reconcile people to any atrocity."  George Bernard Shaw

Hopefully there will come a time in the near future where children will be able to talk to their parents, not as peers, but as a wise mentor...and learn that it is ok NOT to always follow the crowd.

Now, while there are a lot of sisters out there who will agree with me that "it's my body, I can do what I want...", it's also a decision of that individual, and it's ok NOT to do some of the things to ones body that seem so prevalent today.

It is going to take continued analysis, as well as  understanding to know why we do what we do.  

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

9 posted 2005-05-15 09:18 AM

I'm so glad you brought that up Kari.

The young man with all the bravado, who insisted he knew pain and invited pain into his being, had quite a different viewpoint after he was shot. I do believe he wept.

So I dunno.

I was recently bemoaning the fact my fifteen year old got drunk. (You should have seen THAT investigation--relentless MOM.)

God help the expletive that starts putting bullets through my son's fleshy parts.

Rumor has it? Mama ain't SANE.

and nod, try me

This ain't ear piercing.

This is someone, loading a gun and pointing it another human being and hoping they don't hit an artery.

If society won't draw lines, I will.

I will go on record right now, that if any sadistic bastard gets off on putting a bullet through any of my loved ones, well then, they get what they won't see coming.

It oughtta leave a nice exit scar out the back of their head.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

10 posted 2005-05-15 09:45 AM

I'm dangerous.

I don't know how to shoot.

so?

shrug?

I'll point and shoot.

nod.

I'm dangerous and a living example for gun control.

Now somebody really oughtta tell me how to clean that .357.

Um, the bullets stick. *shaking my head*

(See what we've created?)

Kaoru
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-06-07
Posts 3892
where the wild flowers grow
11 posted 2005-05-15 09:49 AM

K.

As a member of society with tattoos and body piercings, I would like to say that this is not only crazy, but stupid.

I understand now why my mother said, "Oh.......that's nice", when she first saw my tattoo.

However, to come home and tell my mother that I got shot for fun, or to make a "statement", would be way too extreme..EVEN FOR ME.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

12 posted 2005-05-15 09:56 AM

megs? I CRIED.

This kid?

He thought he was being cool. And yanno?

The sad fact is, here in the states? And there oughtta be someone to argue this, but I doubt it, if you have a gunshot wound? You are a hero.

It's the whole gangsta thing.

I just want it to stop.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
13 posted 2005-05-15 10:20 AM

The helplessness that you feel, serenity, when structured properly [yea, I know all about structure...] is that it takes ONE to begin the snowball before things can make a difference, and change begins.

I'll join your snowball...

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

14 posted 2005-05-15 10:27 AM

laughing

do you know?

This doesn't look like a crack neighborhood, but we are surrounded by rental homes and nod...you follow.

I just walked out there and told those little bastards if they didn't modify their bass (they have already cracked, and I mean this, CRACKED several framed Jazz Fest Posters hanging on our walls, via the bassline ALONE--and I am talking valuables here) but hey?

I told them I understood they enjoyed their music. I told them we enjoy our art. They can either turn their defcon volume basslines down, or I would.

They turned downed the bass.

I was armed only with a newspaper.

I just LOOKED pissed.

I dunno Kari...I'm thinking Switzerland these days.

timothysangel1973
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2001-12-03
Posts 1725
Never close enough
15 posted 2005-05-15 10:47 AM

Well,
I have a form of body mutilation that a man should try (or woman) if they want a permanent mark that will be there to haunt them later down the line.

Just have a kid... hehe

there are two options, and both leave lovely traces of what you've done...

Method One: Carry the child for nine months and stretch from your boobs to your ankles (yes that will leave a scar, if only from the skin that pulls to only GOd knows where and then try to find its way back after the kid is here and all the fluid retention is gone)

Method Two:  Deliver a child by caesarian section, and then BAM !!

There you have a beautiful scar about 5 inches in length to carry with you forever and ever, not too mention that with this procedure you also get the saggy boobs, and the other "stretches" as you do with the first method.

You get twice the mutilation with the second method, so by far that is more worth the money !!

Hehe....

I've done if both ways, and well, let's just say that that my arse went south for the winter 12 years ago, and we are still looking for it.  IT was replaced by this other thing, that apparently is needed once you stretch from the size of a quarter to the size of a grapefruit down there.

Just a thought, for all these self-body-mutilators out there.

And?  as an added bonus, if they forget that they have the scars, just look at the crayon marks on the freshly painted wall.

I may hate myself in the morning - but I'm gonna love you tonight
-Lee Ann Womack

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
16 posted 2005-05-15 10:49 AM

Belize is another alternative...

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
17 posted 2005-05-15 12:42 PM

Tima, You just reminded me of my first tattoo!   Ain't it the truth!  You are so funny!

Karen, I have to question the parents of any young person that would allow a child living under their roof to do anything they disapproved of.  That is precisely why there is intervention in place!  To straighten kids out that are out of control, and hard for parents to deal with their is help out there.  

Like you said, you would be a poor shot with a gun in your hand, and the variables involved in this ritual are just too many.  I know I don't believe in guns period, but to use one for the sheer fad of it!  I would be the first in line to start up  M.A.S.K.  (Mothers Against Stupid Kids)

Karilea has the idea, that the kids hopefully will take the reigns and stop what has been the norm for so many cultures, saying, "Enough is enough!"  Hopefully opportunities to educate these young people will put a stop to a lot of this.  

I can tell you stories that would shock you on things I did to put my son on the right track, but it sure worked!  I was single parent most of the time, (although I was married a few times, he really had no Father ever.) That left me telling a 6'+ teenager what to do, and he did it, and he still does at 40!  It is called respect!

When people are ready to walk the walk, that is when things like this get dealt with.  This fad really does sicken and sadden me.

Nightshade
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-08-31
Posts 13962
just out of reach
18 posted 2005-05-15 07:57 PM

Ah, we're all goin' to hell in a handbasket as they say. Bummer.
  I once saw on television a fellow who liked having darts thrown at his bare back !!  That'll leave a mark or two.
  If it hurts, causes me to blackout, go blind, deaf or leaves scars (stretch marks and legal operations don't count), embarrasses me or the person performing the whatever.....or worst of all kills me ..... I don't wanna be any part of it.
  Now I sound totally boring. Ummmm....I got my ears pierced back when they used to freeze your lobes with ice cubes and stick a needle through it...does that count for anything?
  Karen? You're so cool. love ya!!

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
19 posted 2005-05-15 08:02 PM

Hmmm...

Maybe the next fad will be Celebrity Russian Roulette?

I'm sure if they'd just drive to Compton they wouldn't have to pay someone to do it.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Destination Insanity: Are we there yet?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary