navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Emmeline Grangerford
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Emmeline Grangerford Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan

0 posted 2004-12-18 12:57 PM

"They had pictures hung on the walls -- mainly Washingtons and Lafayettes, and battles, and Highland Marys, and one called "Signing the Declaration." There was some that they called crayons, which one of the daughters which was dead made her own self when she was only fifteen years old. They was different from any pictures I ever see before -- blacker, mostly, than is common. One was a woman in a slim black dress, belted small under the armpits, with bulges like a cabbage in the middle of the sleeves, and a large black scoop-shovel bonnet with a black veil, and white slim ankles crossed about with black tape, and very wee black slippers, like a chisel, and she was leaning pensive on a tombstone on her right elbow, under a weeping willow, and her other hand hanging down her side holding a white handkerchief and a reticule, and underneath the picture it said "Shall I Never See Thee More Alas." Another one was a young lady with her hair all combed up straight to the top of her head, and knotted there in front of a comb like a chair-back, and she was crying into a handkerchief and had a dead bird laying on its back in her other hand with its heels up, and underneath the picture it said "I Shall Never Hear Thy Sweet Chirrup More Alas." There was one where a young lady was at a window looking up at the moon, and tears running down her cheeks; and she had an open letter in one hand with black sealing wax showing on one edge of it, and she was mashing a locket with a chain to it against her mouth, and underneath the picture it said "And Art Thou Gone Yes Thou Art Gone Alas." These was all nice pictures, I reckon, but I didn't somehow seem to take to them, because if ever I was down a little they always give me the fan-tods. Everybody was sorry she died, because she had laid out a lot more of these pictures to do, and a body could see by what she had done what they had lost. But I reckoned that with her disposition she was having a better time in the graveyard.”

Mark Twain
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

Sound familiar; like anyone you recall or know?

© Copyright 2004 John Pawlik - All Rights Reserved
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

1 posted 2004-12-18 07:07 PM

Quite honestly, it reminded me of something I'd heard about me.

I write about death so often, I've been accused of dancing on graves.

(cathartic poetry yanno)

*shrug*

I dance where I am. If it's a graveyard, so be it.

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
2 posted 2004-12-18 07:20 PM

I'm of the mindset that most artists, irregardless of medium, have expressed thoughts of death, the afterlife, grief, and related topics through their art.
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

3 posted 2004-12-19 02:03 AM

*chuckle*

I just wrote my own epitaph.

thank you John

and hugs to m'bro...

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
4 posted 2004-12-25 01:18 PM

“There are people, after all, who are really only happy
when they’re unhappy.”

Wislawa Szymborska

Just read the above, and it seemed apt to put it here.

It reminds me of a saying that used to be popular both
in Poland and Russia: “When a woman has no troubles
she will buy a pig.”

A friend once related to me that he had asked a Russian
acquaintance why Russians seemed to always be unhappy and
the acquaintance went into a long response which in summary
claimed dissatisfaction was part of Russian nature.

The word “concupiscence” originally concerned itself with
the sin of taking any pleasure in life.  

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

5 posted 2004-12-25 04:37 PM

"the sin of taking any pleasure in life. "

Well now.

I'm hardly guilty of that.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Emmeline Grangerford

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary