navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Fear
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Fear Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Obscurity
since 2003-12-04
Posts 153
In A Melancholic Dream

0 posted 2004-11-23 03:48 AM

I just wanted to rant here, and I hope you don't mind, or move this because I think it belongs here.

I signed up for the Marine Corps in late April of 04' and was excited to leave, still am, but now since my departure date is so soon, it's becoming almost scary. I leave Novemember 29th, and it's something so different that I'm inclined to fear it. I'm not sure what to expect, I only have the horror stories my family gets to tell me about their experiences in Basic Training. It seems like yesterday that I was signing the line, and selecting an MOS. I'm not sure, maybe it's anxiety but I'm in a mode where I have absolutely no control of my life, it's weird...

Anyone have an experience like this, or any advice, or anything to give me, like prozac?

© Copyright 2004 Brett Gailey - All Rights Reserved
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
1 posted 2004-11-23 09:36 AM

As for Basic Training, remember this:  they pay YOU to eat right and exercise.  Everything else revolves around that.  Normally, you pay to eat right and, if you do this outside the home, to exercise (spa/gym).  Sure there's yelling, hollering, in-your-face-are-you-eyeballin-me?! moments (which resolve themselves in more exercise), but I'm sure you got that treatment before.  Lord knows I did, though the exercise wasn't pushups, but weeding the gardens when I chose to go against the Rule of Dad.

The Drills' job is to train you, get you fit, and to try to break you.  They want to know your snapping point.  If they break you, they can remold.  The game is not to break.  They need to know how much pressure you can take, be it in a warzone, natural disaster, military office, or handling gifts for Toys for Tots.

For the most part, yes, you will not have control.  But you still have choice.  You can choose to do what the Drills say, or not.  Both have consequences, albiet the former is bound to be more pleasant than the latter.

Be at peace, and know this military brat will be pulling for ya.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
2 posted 2004-11-23 09:54 AM

I believe Ali knows best in this situation.  I know my brother served in the Navy; my father was not able to serve at all, due to allergies.  That bothered him a great deal, not being able to give something back to his country.

I know, however, of many men and women who have gone through the gamut of this experience, and have come out better for it in the end.  Just remember that after it is all over, to get "debriefed" in life.  So many men and women forget that the majority of their peers will never have this opportunity for such training, and once you are "molded" as Ali said, it's hard to accept life as the rest of us know it.

I have seen both sides of this story...the ones that can work with us and use their military background to help US grow...

and the ones that, because of their military background, no longer feel like part of US.

When you get to that point, you'll know it.  Hopefully you'll be able to engage in the best of all processes, and come out the winner.

My bet is on YOU.

Shelley
since 2000-01-27
Posts 263
Ohio, USA
3 posted 2004-11-23 10:21 AM

You will do fine. Remember, each experience is different. Your life will be richer because of YOUR experience. New friends, personnaly I'm looking forward to the new writtings. Could end up being a book!
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Fear

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary