navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » any eminem fans here?
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic any eminem fans here? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
~DreamChild~
since 2001-04-23
Posts 544
in your dreams

0 posted 2004-11-18 12:21 PM

i think eminem is a true artist. he expresses himself freely, and so many of our youth relate to his expressionism. He is an inspirition to blacks and whites in his industry and art. Whether good or bad, Slim Shady is always so charismatic.

There is controversy concerning Eminem's late track " Just Lose It ". Many would suggest that Em is converting his artistic genry to pop, not rap,
and as can be expected, feelings were hurt because of his self-expression. Once again, another media
frenzy for artist Marshal Mathers.

Whether pop, hip-hop, punk, rap, or pure poetry,
i think i can admire Eminem for what he really is,
an artist just like me. I hope that one day, my artistry can cross cultural boundaries, move media masses, and maybe touch an individual too.

" Now what do you THINK about that? "

© Copyright 2004 derrick gillum - All Rights Reserved
Cloud 9
since 2004-11-05
Posts 980
Ca
1 posted 2004-11-18 02:08 PM

There are only few rappers I like and he is definately one of them. There is something about him I like.

Although I can say I don't like some of the lyrics but he's alright. I know, it sounds contradicting. Its like Prince, I know some people in here like him. I definately do and have for years.....not sure what it is about him. He and Eminem are completely different. I think Prince is sexy where Eminem is not. Again, he is alright.

Kaoru- I don't think you will make anyone mad....its your opinion.

[This message has been edited by Cloud 9 (11-18-2004 03:20 PM).]

Kaoru
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-06-07
Posts 3892
where the wild flowers grow
2 posted 2004-11-18 02:32 PM

I've read a lot of his lyrics, and I can't say that I really feel any of them. It's different for you, I know, but I can't seem to like the guy.

I have a lot of reasons why, but I won't go into them because I don't want to make anyone angry, and chances are I would.

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
3 posted 2004-11-18 08:02 PM

I wouldn't say I'm a fan at all of Eminem's personality (his attitude in the past seemed to revolve a lot around misogyny, racism and anti-gay sentiments) but I do believe Eminem is a talented songwriter.

I believe you can not like someone but also like their music. I happen to think "Lose Yourself" was a brilliant recording, which is incredibly encouraging and inspirational for the youth of the world, and truly deserved that Oscar.

"Stan" is another excellent example of his talent. It's quite a fierce track but it is also brutally honest and conveyed so well. It's written in the form of several letters mailed to Eminem from a rabid fan who just wants an autograph at first then when he doesn't receive one goes insane and in the end a tragic suicide is implied in the final letter and a deep anger in the fan's tone is displayed.

Finally, there's "Mosh", an incredibly controversial, politically-charged track with an even more controversial video in which the first version encourages everyone to vote, and not vote for Bush, and the second version with the edited ending encouraging everyone to move and have their voices heard from the steps of Congress, etc.

I just have to say the video for "Mosh" is incredible. I never thought Eminem would be a leader in the progressive movement this election year, but the "Mosh" video has won respect from Bruce Springsteen to R.E.M, even to his arch-nemesis Moby, all those who would have had nothing to do with Eminem ever.

For those who haven't seen the video for "Mosh", please check it out, it's absolutely my favorite Eminem video yet!
http://mosh.eminem.com/video/

"Mosh" certainly doesn't take back all the disturbing things he's said before, and still won't encourage me to buy an album of his, but he is a great writer nonetheless and I think when we critique music we should also find the ability to seperate the attitude from the songs themselves. And to me it's no suprise why he is so insanely popular.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

"You'll find something that's enough to keep you
But if the bright lights don't receive you
You should turn yourself around and come back home" MB20

Dopey Dope
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2000-08-30
Posts 11132
San Juan, Puerto Rico
4 posted 2004-11-18 09:32 PM

I dont like him at all.

I prefer other forms of expression.

What he is communicating is not what I like to hear. In having the ability to choose genre & the message id like to receive from the music i hear...i prefer NO lyrics.

Im more into MUSIC. I love the notes, melodies, beats and so on.......lyrics can totally ruin a song for me.

"One good thing about music: when it hits you feel no pain"- Bob Marley
~I am Trance~

WranglrButts9
since 2004-10-24
Posts 108
Iowa, US
5 posted 2004-11-18 10:32 PM

Love him! Sadly thouhg, my parents wont let me buy any of the CD's because of the lyrics. So I just have to settle with whats on the radio....

Bailey

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.

SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
6 posted 2004-11-19 12:13 PM

being a mom of teens, I hear it all...and I like some of his music, it's funny, smart and upbeat. I don't like the one he did with D12 though... the song, My Band...that is just fowl. and the new one with him bashing our President, well that one has made it so I will never buy one of his albums or any of the Now cd's that have any of his music on them. So? Yes, before I did like some, now I definately don't. It's too bad really.
~DreamChild~
since 2001-04-23
Posts 544
in your dreams
7 posted 2004-11-19 02:43 AM

lol...

does anyone else respect eminem as an artist at all? He's made a tremendous impact on society.

Oh well. I guess I'm alone on this one,
but i think eminem is a brilliant lyracist,
mastering the art of rhyme.

I can't relate to all of his works.
Hardly any at all. But I really enjoy his talent for the spoken word.

" Now what do you THINK about that? "

darkness_witch
since 2003-12-03
Posts 516
Underneath
8 posted 2004-11-19 03:13 AM

i respect him utterly.

he has an amazing talent and i hate alot of rappers but him....... he is great. I love a lot of his songs but some i must agree are shocking and kind of un-necessary. lose yourself, soldier, sing for the moment and mosh are my favourites. they have such emotion and power in them

I understand where many Mom's are coming from when they don't allow his cds in thier house because yes, alot of his lyrics are OTT and disgusting, but the songs that have the relatable lyrics, the ones that you can listen to and think, woah I'm not alone, those are the ones that make him such a talent, those are the ones that really count.

thanks DC for posting this message, its brought up alot of good points.

love and empathy
sophie

nirvana means freedom from pain, suffering and the external world.

Kaoru
Member Elite
since 2003-06-07
Posts 3892
9 posted 2004-11-19 11:39 AM

He went down the same road for fame as Marilyn Manson. Do you like Manson, too?

Eminem, like Manson, knows/knew how to stir up controversy. I could do that, as well, and I can write.

So, easily, I could be famous.

I give credit to Eminem, not for his lyrical abilities and not for his music, but, for his ability to make his controversy famous. Otherwise, he's in the trash bin of my brain.

~DreamChild~
since 2001-04-23
Posts 544
in your dreams
10 posted 2004-11-19 01:31 PM

you all have logical points here.
he should not be a role model for kids.
anyone can cause contraversy, thats not commendable if you ask me.
but as an artist, he inspires me.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

11 posted 2004-11-19 02:24 PM

Despite trying to argue myself out of it, I can't help but like him.

He is funny and smart. I like what he does with rhyme--he makes stuff work that has no reason to work, and I admire that alot.

Besides, I've been known to enjoy a good "rant" m'self.

I am interested to see if he has more range than anger and satire. In fact, I know he does just by the underlying tone of some of his more obscure work.

He's interesting, and I'm certainly interested.

So I confess. I listen to him when my kids aren't around to frown at me.

They disapprove.

Cloud 9
since 2004-11-05
Posts 980
Ca
12 posted 2004-11-19 04:10 PM

Serenity blaze
You pretty much said what I wanted to say......thanks. My son doesn't approve either.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
13 posted 2004-11-19 04:29 PM

Why is that, I wonder?  Their disapproval?
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

14 posted 2004-11-19 05:30 PM

grin

It has nothing to do with language or content, Kari.

They seem to be of an opinion that he has "gone commercial."

~DreamChild~
since 2001-04-23
Posts 544
in your dreams
15 posted 2004-11-19 11:47 PM

whether we admit it to ourselves,
or deny it for its seemingly distasteful implications, i think we can all relate to some of the emotions expressed in Eminem's music. He is indeed talented, and uses that talent to express the emotions of anger, hate, etc., but this does not suit everyones musical palette, as does not country , or jazz for others.

however much we may dislike , or even loathe a music genre, or artist, the fact is that art is powerful. Slim Shady is a powerful artist, and probably the most famous rapper alive (though not the most popular, i see! lol).

art crosses cultural boundaries,
affects people,
and moves them.
art will not be quiet, or sit still
it will express itself,
and be heard.

PoetryIsLife
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...
16 posted 2004-11-23 02:56 AM

I am a big fan of eminem.... I feel he is the king of rap for the moment, the unquestioned master of words and their ability to flow, their ability to blend smoothly with a beat.

Does that mean his latest album is an artistic success, to me? No. I felt it was a disappointment for his talents.

-Titus

Kaoru
Member Elite
since 2003-06-07
Posts 3892
17 posted 2004-11-23 03:23 AM

This does not inspire me,

[Edit Links to copyright infringement removed - Ron]

[This message has been edited by Ron (11-23-2004 06:33 AM).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » any eminem fans here?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary