navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Love Letters Now
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Love Letters Now Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas

0 posted 2004-09-08 06:25 PM

http://www.lovelettersnow.com/index1.htm

For some troubling reason, that site popped up when I was doing a routine search on some of my writings at netpoets. They sell a service, and since their site came up on a very specific search string, that made me very very curious, since if in fact something I wrote is in there, I definately know I was NOT contacted.

Anyone have any dealings with this for-profit internet company?

© Copyright 2004 Alastair Adamson - All Rights Reserved
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
1 posted 2004-09-08 09:02 PM

I've never heard of them, but - Methinks it's time to do a search on my work again...
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
2 posted 2004-09-08 11:19 PM

Heh...yep. Even found one of mine, William Poe's, and Balladeer's at bugboards.com, which is a warez board which just happens to have a Poems section. I've done reported those three.

That's just one of the risks you take in our (hopefully) line of work. To reach a much broader audience, we post our literary creations online. Howsoever, that broader audience includes those with looser morals, ethics, and values. That risk must be compared to the possible rewards, and like any other risk, like stocks for instance, they must be monitored to ensure integrity and value.

Paula Finn
Member Ascendant
since 2000-06-17
Posts 5546
missouri
3 posted 2004-09-09 12:02 PM

OK I know I am a computer dummy but how do you find out if something you wrote is being done like this?
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
4 posted 2004-09-09 12:37 PM

Holy moly Ali!  Well at least that is one thing I won't ever have to worry about,   but I am sure sorry for you poets that it could be a real concern for sure. I would hope you get "royalties" now on each sale of that product at least where they printed you without your permission?

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
5 posted 2004-09-09 02:02 PM

Well Paula, I generally check a specific string found in the body of the poem, like "on wistful horses" since, in at least once case, the plagairist actually changed the title on one of my pieces. Odds are, they won't change lines within the body. I generally use copernic (a stand alone program) for general searches, and google for more specific hits. Most don't have to worry too much, especially if most of their posted works are here in the forums. It's those who have works posted at netpoets, for instance, that routinely have to check. And that's the crux. I don't want netpoets closed down, since a rather large audience visits there, but hand in glove comes the risk of plagairism and intellectual theft.

I couldn't find a way to see the lists for Love Letters Now, but I'll send a request. Short of ponying up the $30 for full access, that seems a good option.

This is, by the by, an old topic. Other threads can be found in the members area/help pages.

Update: Tried sending a request for a complete poetry listing. Email bounced. Apparently, her mailbox is full, or she has a block against online email providers.

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
6 posted 2004-09-09 03:32 PM

Got a response, and we found the root cause was an affiliate for that e-business, who used a very rapid redirect page, with numerous links, to increase site hits.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Love Letters Now

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary