navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » A matter of self defense -- would you??
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic A matter of self defense -- would you?? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Susan
Member Ascendant
since 2004-03-27
Posts 5104
walking the surreal

0 posted 2004-08-15 10:12 PM

Just curious.  I learned some interesting statistics of late and thought I'd see what the general consensus is in answer to this question, then I'll provide you all with the facts --

So, would you rather take a knife to a gun fight or a gun to a knife fight?  And why?

For the timid, just play along   

Susan

Happiness isn't something that happens to you, it's created from within you.  Joy is a state of mind.

© Copyright 2004 s.a.t. - All Rights Reserved
muted
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2004-01-15
Posts 2949
Elapsing, Eclipsing, Evolving
1 posted 2004-08-16 04:58 AM

well
i wouldnt want to be in either situation
but i suppose if i took a gun to a knife fight, i could save myself from a distance...then again, gives me an unfair advantage doesnt it.and well, i wouldnt have to be close to the action, therefore i wouldnt be in real danger? (that is if i knew how to use a gun)

and a knife at a gunfight? well, id be hiding behind a car somewhere kissing pavement. that knife wouldnt get much use LOL

i suppose then i would answer...a knife at a gunfight. thats what i would do out of those choices.

will be interesting to see what sort of information you share with us!  

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
2 posted 2004-08-16 07:22 AM

I'd avoid the fight altogether.  Little is accomplished through violence.  I'd rather use my wits with words, thanks...   
Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
3 posted 2004-08-16 09:42 AM

Chains.

Knife to a gunfight. Make them think you're really nuts and throw them off. Guns are for wusses

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

4 posted 2004-08-16 11:51 AM

laughing@Raph...

Chains!

gleeeeeeeeee

*ahem*

And to answer your question fairly, Susan, let's just say that I have found myself doing things I never thought I'd do when going places I never thought I'd be.

Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
5 posted 2004-08-16 12:03 PM

gun to a knife fight.

I ain't losin'.

(Raph~ I am 5'1", I ain't getting close enough to use a knife...thank you...guess that makes me a wuss... )

"cast me gently into the morning, for the night has been unkind"
~Sarah McLachlan~

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

6 posted 2004-08-16 12:05 PM

Nodding vigorous with Susan...

and *chuckle* have I got a story to tell you, someday...

and whew, yeah, what a long strange trip it's been...

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
7 posted 2004-08-16 01:21 PM

WMD

In for a penny, in for a pound ...

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
8 posted 2004-08-16 01:23 PM

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

9 posted 2004-08-16 01:33 PM

okay, okay, raising my hand and knowing in advance I look stupid:

What the heck is WMD?

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

10 posted 2004-08-16 01:37 PM

Nevermind.

Brain fog.

I had one of dem moments....

(they're never going to stop, are they?)

and why does anybody need weapons of mass destruction when all they need to do is sell drugs?)

It apparently worked for me.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

11 posted 2004-08-16 01:43 PM

OH.

And now that I get it? Ron, that WAS funny.

sheesh.

(pardon me folks)

GG
Member Elite
since 2002-12-03
Posts 3532
Lost in thought
12 posted 2004-08-16 04:51 PM

Erm, I don't know about you all...
but I'm taking both to either.

For one, I don't sleep, eat, or blink my eyes without at least one knife on me. And there's sure no chance I'd go into a situation where someone wants to kill me without a gun or two.

I guess if I really had to choose one or the other, though... I'd want specifics on terrain and if we got to choose gun/knife types. (I'm no good with a pistol, but hand me a Glock and tell me I'm gonna be in a fight... I'll learn!)
hehe

Always, Alyssa

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.
                  Joyce kilmer

Ratleader
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-01-23
Posts 7026
Visiting Earth on a Guest Pass
13 posted 2004-08-16 05:08 PM

My Father:

"Don't ever get into a fight you can get out of...but if you have to fight, be the one who hits first, hit as hard as you can hit, and keep going until they drag you off or you know you've hurt him so bad he won't ever be able to come back at you."

I won't go to the fight at all. If it comes looking for me: Bang.

~~(¸¸¸¸ºº>   ~~(¸¸¸¸ºº>  ~~(¸¸ ¸¸ºº>    ~~~(¸¸ER¸¸ºº>
______________Ratleader______________

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
14 posted 2004-08-16 05:24 PM

I wouldn't go at all...
When they absolutely, positively have to be killed over night...
I prefer to send the Marines.

(sorry... misplaced bit of loyalty)

In the wooden chair
Beside my window
I wear a face born in the falling rain

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

15 posted 2004-08-16 09:59 PM

gun to a knife fight.

I ain't losin'.

Amen to that!

Oh, make me Thine forever
And should I fainting be
Lord, let me never ever
Outlive my love for Thee

Susan
Member Ascendant
since 2004-03-27
Posts 5104
walking the surreal
16 posted 2004-08-16 10:49 PM

Okay, for the surprising truth.

Around 97% of people who are shot survive.  Contrary to popular t.v., you can take a bullet and keep on going.  Fact is, you may not even know you've been shot.  The hits that will take you down are between the eyes, to one of the hip bone areas (can't think of the proper term) or a bullet to the spine.  

In Viet Nam they had a problem with U.S. soldiers getting shot and falling down 'cause that's what they'd seen on t.v.  The Viet Cong, which did not have television, kept a coming.

As far as a blade goes, around 70% of people survive a knife attack.  And many of those with permanent disability.

Also contraray to belief, a close range pistol attack, gun at back or front, is actually easier to escape without injury than that of an attack with a blade.  The gun is a one dimensional tool.  Move it off line, it loses its effectiveness.  I've played with these tactics and it works.  Guns are best for defense when used at a distance.

It would be great if in truth, all kidding aside, there were no violence.  Unfortunately, statistics state that in 2002 there were over 4,923,050 crimes of violence perpatrated in the U.S.  These range from the most serious to the minor.

Unfortunately, within my family, 3 members have suffered due to violent crime -- one an attempted abduction, she escaped with a broken nose, one an attempted rape, she too survived amazingly, and one assault wich resulted in a crushed skull and brain surgery, he's doing fine and this was a result of juvenille violence.  This over a span of a number years, yes, I do not live in a crime haven, but then again, we are all subject to the changes in the world.

So you see why Susan plays with tools.  The group I belong to is actually called -- Common Sense Self Defense, Street Combat.  It is a group of people from around the world, civilians, police, as well as military and special forces, that are learning a less than lethal way of dealing with assault.  Get the "less than lethal", meaning you take away the perpatrators ability to harm you, but not their life.

So, not to lecture, but it was a interesting question and I much enjoyed your answers.  I hope you found my little tidbits informative.  Remember, always carry your blade -- but better than that, stay safe.

Susan

p.s. Ron, you get the prize for most creative answer.  I've a cousin in Los Alamos, want me to hook you up?

Ringo, you get second prize -- love it

Happiness isn't something that happens to you, it's created from within you.  Joy is a state of mind.

GG
Member Elite
since 2002-12-03
Posts 3532
Lost in thought
17 posted 2004-08-16 11:26 PM

Very true in all you've said...
Most people tend to get a .44 or some such pistol for self defense, thinking the large bullet is more likely to kill somebody. Very few people actually study bullets and their effects on people before they buy guns, though. A .22 (usually used for plinking around, for fun) is actually one of the most lethal guns out there. Larger bullets, most times, will enter and exit the body with little damage... but a 22 will enter and then bounce around inside the body, injuring lungs and heart and every other organ in there. Congrats to you, Susan, on your knowledge and quest to learn more about how to protect yourself. Though I am sad to hear of what your loved ones went through showing you the need to learn...

Always, Alyssa

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.
                  Joyce kilmer

Toerag
Member Ascendant
since 1999-07-29
Posts 5622
Ala bam a
18 posted 2004-08-17 07:28 AM

Ron's answer is wisdom...Aenimal speaks the truth...I'd rather take two big bruisers with me, one with a gun, the other with a knife....seems as though I've been in both situations....never been shot, been shot at and missed?....been cut a few times..nose has been broken several times, (know that surprises ya all...something about my mouth running?).....better to stay home and just read about it on the news...
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
19 posted 2004-08-17 08:21 PM

My pop told me never to take anything to a fight you wouldn't want taken away and used on you... so, feather pillow? water pistol? one of those sexy leather whips... erm... sorry... went on the wrong track there.
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

20 posted 2004-08-17 08:38 PM

I like your track, Christopher.

Death by TONGUING!

gleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Susan
Member Ascendant
since 2004-03-27
Posts 5104
walking the surreal
21 posted 2004-08-17 10:30 PM

Ah, Christopher, I've an 8' bullwhip.  You'd be amazed what that can do!  It's called a flexible weapon   Did you know when it cracks its breaking the sound barrier?  How cool is that!

Susan

p.s. it is virtually, not completely, but virtually impossible to take a knife away from someone without serious harm to yourself.

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
22 posted 2004-08-17 10:39 PM

no, Susan, I can say with 100% confidence that's it's not all that hard at all, with the proper training.

to midi-k

Toerag
Member Ascendant
since 1999-07-29
Posts 5622
Ala bam a
23 posted 2004-08-18 07:20 AM

Chris..yes, it's very easy to disarm most anyone....but, if someone knows how to handle the knife, it's almost impossible...
Susan
Member Ascendant
since 2004-03-27
Posts 5104
walking the surreal
24 posted 2004-08-18 10:17 AM

Thanks Toe.  He is right, it is the proper training that counts.  In the hands of a novice, disarms are not that difficult, yet you still will probably end up being cut.  But for someone who understands the workings of the blade, it is truly nigh on impossible.

Susan

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » A matter of self defense -- would you??

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary