navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » the 13th, a really busy day (calling for a poet Noah report)
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic the 13th, a really busy day (calling for a poet Noah report) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia

0 posted 2004-08-13 02:44 PM

Portland is in my back yard, and today, both Bush and Kerry are in Portland. Prior personal committments do not allow me to join the crowd today. (multiple horse barn chores fall upon my shoulders this afternoon and tonight, while my daughter and the trainers are at a 4 day show in Spokane) From what I hear, Kerry will return again in a couple of weeks, and I hope to meet him then. His visit is at Waterfront Park, open to the public, with bon Jovi entertaining. Bush's was a closed event at terminal 6 (LOL) to make sure no rowdy objectors could interrupt his attempt to talk. Blah blah blah blah blah. Loved the irony...his "terminal" talk. There must be a fun write in there.
Guess you already know how I feel about this election.
Meanwhile, millions are hunkering down in Florida, and my thoughts are with them, wishing them safe passage to tomorrow's dawn.

Noah, hope you are out there today, and ready to report back here tomorrow with your take on today's events.

[This message has been edited by Midnitesun (08-13-2004 03:31 PM).]

© Copyright 2004 Kathleen Kacy Stafford - All Rights Reserved
Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
1 posted 2004-08-14 12:57 PM

Hi Kacy, yay! (does happy dance) It's great to be here and you know on an important event such as this I'd never leave friends like you short-handed.

Coming off a week of baby-sitting for the son of my mom's best friend visiting from my former home-state of Colorado, I engaged deeply in the fevering frenzy of Kerry's final campaign stop of his "Believe In America" tour, which kicked off two weeks ago after accepting his presidental nomination at the Democratic National Convention.

Bush also stopped in at Terminal 6 of the Port of Portland, located up by the Smith and Bybee Lakes Wildlife area, just east of Kelley Point Park, west of the I-5 Bridge, where the Willamette joins the Columbia River, in an industrial park home of the primary auto handling terminal of the region. There, he would address the small business summit. Of course, that event wasn't open to the public so no point at shouting our dissent to him as he has continued to suppress the Bill of Rights and freedom of speech in America.

Later that day, he would also speak at Southridge High School in Beaverton, in an "Ask the President" event. I had no time to attend that, being at the Kerry rally.

I stepped in on the action at The Bowl at Waterfront Park, located at SW Columbia and SW Front Street right alongside the Willamette River, where Kerry made his landing. I got my ticket weeks prior to the event and made my way through the impressive crowd numbers just past 10 A.M, when the gates opened.

They say it's estimated as many as 40,000 attended his last stop of the 21-state tour. (giggles in amazement) That would be his biggest single turnout of the entire tour. Seriously, it felt like we were second only to San Francisco in attracting crowds like this, with Portland being a very liberal city I am proud to live in now.

Anyway, I had two prerogatives for attending the Kerry visit:

1) Support him (The message is simple. The regime change begins at home and removing Bush is the first step. We can resolve Kerry's issues later after he is elected. But right now we can't back down. he needs all the support we can get.)

2) Let our voices reach the podium (95% of Democratic delegates now oppose the Iraq war, and slightly less the Patriot Act. These concerns are not exactly being reflected on the podium. Plus it is a concern that Kerry said given what he knows now, he still would have voted for the war resolution even if he knew no WMDs were present. Being accustomed to his 1971 speech during the Winter Soldier Hearings where he blasted the Vietnam War, there are some contrasts to the Kerry then to the Kerry now, and it is our job to make sure he represents the majority and is committed in all his worth to end this war, etc. This is not exactly a protest, but rather demonstrative empathy.)

So after Kerry made his speech at around 1:30 PST, as I do every Friday evening, I headed down to North Pioneer Square at 5:00 for the weekly Portland Peaceful response Coalition Rally. As always we march through downtown Portland, where only being there for six weeks I have already become the junior speaker, being the youngest protester on board, and have already appeared on KBOO Free Speech Radio and KOIN-6 News.

Using a SPECO ER-340 and an Easy-Ready portable CD player, we played a burned copy of Kerry's 1971 speech during the Winter Soldier hearings, to help educate the public of John Kerry's past and to show that work is still to be done after removing Bush from office; to ensure that we wouldn't have to say, "How do you ask a man to be the last man to die in Iraq?" or wherever the war on terrorism may escalate.

Learning that Kerry was staying overnight at The Benson at SW Broadway and Oak Street in downtown Portland just north of Pioneer Square, we decided to head over there, blare Kerry's own speech again there and hope he's there and it comes back to him. No sign of him, unfortunately, nevertheless we got many friendly cheers from our local Portlandneers. We marched back and forth in front of the hotel, chanting our usual mantras like "Support our troops, bring them home" and "Bush lies, people die."

All in all, a wonderful day for Portland and for the campaign.

I'm about to kick off my "Elephant Ears and Crocodile Tears Tour" at the North Portland Library tomorrow at the Poetry Bash. It's a tour promoting my political voice through new poetry of mine throughout the Portland area.

Kacy, love to see you there if you can make time, yay!

Love,
Noah Eaton

"You'll find something that's enough to keep you
But if the bright lights don't receive you
You should turn yourself around and come back home" MB20

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
2 posted 2004-08-14 01:05 AM

I am really, really proud of you Noah!
I might be able to make it to that library tomorrow, though I do have to be back to McMinnville at the barn to feed the horses by 6PM. Can you email me with the address for that library, and the time frame when you'll be there? I'd like to finally meet up with you in person, after missing the connection in Denver and Boulder. LOL, it is really ironic that we both moved to Oregon recently!

Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
3 posted 2004-08-14 02:02 PM

The Poetry Bash will be at the North Portland Library, located at 512 N. Killingsworth.

The open mic begins at 1:45 P.M.

Love,
Noah Eaton

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
4 posted 2004-08-14 04:43 PM

Yikes, it's a little too late for me now, I just got back from boring general grocery shopping, will have to go out to the farm earlier than anticipated.
Good luck, and have some fun! maybe next time?

Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
5 posted 2004-08-15 07:43 PM

Awwwwwww, that's OK, dearest friend! I understand how anyone who just moves can be busy, yay!

But I have far more readings planned in the coming week. I made another today at the Hawthorne Hostel and will keep on truckin' for justice and change:

**********ELEPHANT EARS AND CROCODILE TEARS TOUR**********

Monday, August 16: Red & Black Cafe (during the Card Making Party for Political Prisoners)

Wednesday, August 18: Portland Coffeehouse 25th and Belmont (7-9 P.M)

Thursday, August 19: 3 Friends Coffeehouse
201 SE 12th
SE 12th and Ash
(Begins at 7:00)

Friday, August 20: PPRC Rally at Pioneer Square: 5:00 P.M

Saturday, August 21: Portland Saturday Market

I will post the controversial self-titled poem September 1st here, after the summer winds down with some more summer-friendly poems. I feel the summer should be a time where we celebrate joy and laughter openly and reflect it from our hearts, and I want to share the warmth to children and everyone before releasing some of my toughest poetry in the two months before the election.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
6 posted 2004-08-16 12:03 PM

LOL, Noah, you are so energetic! I'm jealous! I think I remember being young and energetic, the days when I could go and go and go nearly all day and night and not be burned out. *sigh* I pass the torch to you, knowing that you will carry the flame of Justice and Peace wherever you go.
Hugs to you, dear poet.
I congratulate you, for ALWAYS standing up tall for your beliefs.

iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
7 posted 2004-08-17 01:56 AM

Noah Angel, gee, I wished I lived in Portland so I could hear you read...and I am awaiting your controversial poem, too!  Well, as for your courage and convictions, I just want to hug you.   and that's for you Angel guy!   ....jo
Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
8 posted 2004-08-17 03:37 PM

(big angel friendship hugs) Awwwwww Jo, you are such a special friend and I'd love to hear you read your poetry too as I'd love to meet all my Passions friends here, yay!

Yes, this poem is indeed tough. As the title may suggest, yes, it is about the new "GOP". I truly believe they still have the potential to be a "grand ole party" but in recent years I feel they haven't been representing the traditional conservative values but rather the small minority of neo-con instincts.

I'm not trying to say that the Democrats are right and the Republicans wrong or anything like that, as both parties represent all the colors of the tapestry of our flag and both have their faults and achievements, but rather that this current wave in our Administration do not even represent the values they have held dear for so long and as they lunge for accelerating and accumulating wealth and power, tiring out from endless efforts and yawning out tears, it's just like a crocodile when it stretches its face muscles to feast upon its prey, letting out tears. I just feel there's an absence of empathy, compassion and sincerity in the Bush Administration, and our government needs to have these qualities to be stable. It's OK some believe a "strong" leader is the ideal leader, but I believe a leader who cries when they hear tragedies on the news or meets children or veterans and cries hearing their stories or pleas only makes a leader stronger.

Just thought I'd take a moment on the soapbox so I don't end up offending those with political opposites or starting a fight. Education I believe is the pursuit of truth, and in my poetry I am only exposing one viewpoint and encourage from my heart those with differing political values to express their view of the truth. Only until we reveal our pieces of it can we complete the jigsaw puzzle together and re-unite in understanding.

Yesterday I premiered another new poem titled "Lariam", on the sensitive issue regarding Sgt. Georg-Andreas Pogany and his panic on the battlefield after seeing a dead body and being charged for the death penalty on behalf of "cowardice" before the charges were dropped.

Each of these poems from September to November 2 will be very tough and datk, but even the toughest ones will have some hope and silver lining to them. Everyone needs to have hope and faith right now, and when thumbing their way through the darkness of these poems, my goal is to have them see a light at the end of the tunnel and find solace knowing "help is on the way".

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » the 13th, a really busy day (calling for a poet Noah report)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary