navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » yay...beam...bounce...
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic yay...beam...bounce... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

0 posted 2004-03-01 05:50 AM

LORD OF THE RINGS ROCKS!!
PETER JACKSON ROCKS!!
FANTASY ROCKS!!

Liberal amounts of patriotic, cinematic pride pouring out everywhere...

ahem

that's all

(YAY)

K

© Copyright 2004 Kamla Mahony - All Rights Reserved
nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
1 posted 2004-03-01 06:28 AM

*s

M
(I agree)

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
2 posted 2004-03-01 06:29 AM

I agree.

Perhaps, the wrong forum?

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
3 posted 2004-03-01 08:00 AM

And I think it probably put New Zealand on the top of a lot of people's vacation list. Amazing scenery! You have every right to be proud. The film is superbly done - congratulations on that SWEEP! Rings ranks up there with only 2 other movies with the most Oscars in one night!
Jamie
Member Elite
since 2000-06-26
Posts 3168
Blue Heaven
4 posted 2004-03-01 08:03 AM

yep, 11 for 11. can't top perfection.
wrong forum?-no

congrats to your fellow countrymen patriotic one.

There is society where none intrudes, by the deep sea, and music in its roar.
byron

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
5 posted 2004-03-01 08:16 AM

Uh, do we need to keep it entirely jovial and congratulatory? 'Cause I got a question.

Does it seem a little strange to anyone else that a movie can be considered that awesome and yet not win (or even be nominated for) a single award for acting?

p.s. I haven't seen the movie yet, and I'm sure many others haven't either, so let's avoid giving away too much?

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
6 posted 2004-03-01 10:14 AM

Actually, Ron, that's what you call the perfect "ensemble cast". All of the actors did such a fine job, that none of them stood out one above the others...
Well, that's MY story and I'm sticking to it.
lol

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur
built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
7 posted 2004-03-01 11:36 AM

As much as I absolutely love the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy, I've never recognized any of the movies as "Oscar-caliber", with the exception of the score, direction and visual arts.

I can't help but find "The Return of the King" overrated when seeing it actually win Best Picture. In fact, I don't think it should have gotten nominated either. I would have preferred "Mystic River" as a should-have-been winner, and I think "Big Fish" should have gotten nominated.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

"You'll find something that's enough to keep you
But if the bright lights don't receive you
You should turn yourself around and come back home" MB20

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

8 posted 2004-03-01 01:07 PM

I've gotta agree with Ringo on the actor's thing.. and I was glad to see LOTR finally win all it deserved

Oh, make me Thine forever
And should I fainting be
Lord, let me never ever
Outlive my love for Thee

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

9 posted 2004-03-01 01:42 PM

Ron - whisper - ensemble cast. Note, it won the award for ensemble cast at the Bafta's...as far I as I know (and I could be wrong) given that the cast was classified as an ensemble cast it didn't 'qualify' for acting nominations at the Oscars? I have to say Ian McKellen was excellent as Gandalf, and could have had a supporting actor nomination (if I could only figure who it was he supported lol). At any rate, I don't care...I don't care one bit really...still tickled...

heh

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

10 posted 2004-03-01 02:25 PM

I just wanted to pop in to thank Kamla.

By my calculations, she is one of the few people in New Zealand that didn't receive that acknowledgement last night.

(and I haven't yet seen the movie either--I was going to take my kids, but they want to finish reading the books first--grin---can't imagine where they got that from. )

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

11 posted 2004-03-01 03:11 PM

And now that I've had a cup of coffee, I'll address Ronnie Baby's question.

I thought it a little odd too, but I happen to have the advantage of living with a future filmmaker. (my son) He sees this as just another indication of the times. He dreams of making films without actors at all. (His attitude is rather much like Frank Zappa, who considered musicians a necessary nuisance.) He sees yesterdays sweep by Lord of the Rings a confirmation that he is correct, too.

He told me once that actors will only be necessary for touring companies as a source of amusement--staging plays that mimic the animated themes and characters.

(He said this rubbing his hands gleefully, laughing more than a little maniacally too. "We're taking OVER!" said he.)

I'm not sure if he's right, or even how I feel about it. But he assured me, "Don't worry, Mom, you're a writer--the world is always going to love a good story!"

sigh...now he wants a "green" screen too. And I wish those boys would keep their cameras off when they visit my house too. They've turned my home into a reality show. (I've already caught them videotaping my cupboards, giggling with glee at the offbrand names on some of the products there--and? they call my husband "Generic George".)

sheesh.

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
12 posted 2004-03-01 03:36 PM

quote:
but they want to finish reading the books first
it's been my experience (repeatedly) that if you want to have even a chance at appreciating a movie that's been based on a book, don't read the book until after seeing the film - the book will be better (by FAR) 99.999999999999999% of the time, which means if you read the book first, you'll invariably end up disappointed by the movie.

LOTR, by the by, fits into that infintesimal 0.000000000000001%.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

13 posted 2004-03-01 04:19 PM

Hmm.

Not sure that I agree.

I became fascinated with adaptive screenplay writing after Forrest Gump. But then, I look so hard at the mechanics of the thing, that perhaps I'm in a minority there. Dunno.

Sometimes I'm more fascinated with the process than I am with the product.

Jamie
Member Elite
since 2000-06-26
Posts 3168
Blue Heaven
14 posted 2004-03-01 06:32 PM

Lessons on Winning and Losing

Dean Smith, former head coach of the University of North Carolina men's basketball team ( and the all-time winningest basketball coach in NCAA history ) offered the following examples in his book "The Carolina Way".

"One of our highly ranked teams, missing a starting player because of injury, was a decided underdog playing at Duke, which had a team ranked in the top five. We played a sensational game and won. The players were understandably excited near the end of the game. I called them over to our bench and told them, 'finish this off with class- shake their hands and congratulate them- and then we'll celebrate in the dressing room with the door closed.'"

"We played against one team who never had anything to say to us after we beat his team. Then, one night after they defeated us, he showed up in our locker room to talk to us and shake hands. When he finally left, I cleared the room of everyone but the players and said, 'now, that's exactly how you shouldn't act after winning. If we win the next time we play them, let's make a point to see if he comes to our locker room to congratulate us. He didn't.'"

Let's congratulate the effort that obviously went into the making of all the films, and wish the losers of the awards our best without disrespecting the winners and those that supported them.

J

There is society where none intrudes, by the deep sea, and music in its roar.
byron

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
15 posted 2004-03-01 06:44 PM

Ya know, Karen... I would have to say that Forrest Gump is one of the very few movies (perhaps the only) movie I liked better than the book. And watching how the book was transformed and seeing how the screenwriter made the decision on which parts to put in and to leave out was actually half of the movie.

As for the "reality show" your son is turning your house into... I only hope that my kids NEVER get that idea!!! lol

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur
built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

16 posted 2004-03-01 06:59 PM

Jamie...scratching my head here.

I haven't seen any of the movies as of yet, so I sincerely hope anything I typed here wasn't taken as disrespect.

The beautiful thing about these awards is that I believe we all win.

I did think of Kamla though, as she has been telling me for a few years now how wonderful New Zealand is--it was nice to see her part of the world get that recognition.

And ringo? smile...I'm a big indulgent with the kids and their creative enterprises. It's well worth any potential for embarrassment--I've learned alot from them. These kids don't believe in limits and shrug off perceptions of failure. They are too busy having fun.

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
17 posted 2004-03-01 08:25 PM

I think the fact that there was SO much story to tell that it couldn't focus one ONE performer is the reason there were no acting nominations. From what I've heard of the rigorous filming schedule (back to back to back) the actors were NOT acting....they really became their characters!

I think there should be an Oscar for 'imagination'. Rings would have one that one too - hands down!

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
18 posted 2004-03-01 11:24 PM

Kamla -- here here  

Haven't seen it yet either (but the first two yes  -- and big fan of the books back in the 70's)

Ron,

had this point of interest..

Heard an interview with Jackson in which he said when they were building the battle scenes they wanted each of the computer animated characters to have its own AI program so that it might look as real as possible...

It took them 2 years of dumbing down the program to get them to fight -- they kept running off the battlefield.

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

19 posted 2004-03-01 11:54 PM

Ringo - rotf...

I swear Gollum is real...no, truly. Gollum is real! He has to be right?

Karen...maniacal laughter in your household? NOOOOOOOOOOO....surely that's not possible...

~prod~

K

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
20 posted 2004-03-02 06:07 AM

Reb...all I can say is, thanks for sharing that.  

Little K...you've got a whole lot of reasons to be bouncing!

Serenity?  

Opeth
since 2001-12-13
Posts 1543
The Ravines
21 posted 2004-03-03 04:18 PM

I never expected this thread to be about LOTR: Return of the King's victory at the Oscar's. Thanks to Chris for letting me know.

some thoughts about the subject matter and of the replies....

~ To me, The Godfather movie was far superior than the book.

~ Andy Serkis should of been nominated and should of won the best supporting actor Oscar for his performance as Smeagle.

~ I seen all 5 of the films up for best picture and my ranking was this: LOTR: Return of the King (by far), Master & Commander, Lost In Translation, Mystic River & Sea Biscuit. I enjoyed all 5 movies, btw.

~ The LOTR is the best trilogy ever.

~ It is about damn time a fantasy film wins the best picture Oscar.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

22 posted 2004-03-03 04:35 PM

Nodding here.

The Godfather is another good example, O.

(and then there is "The Story of O"...)

Maybe a subject for Grok, tho, eh?

Opeth
since 2001-12-13
Posts 1543
The Ravines
23 posted 2004-03-03 04:40 PM

I concur, Serenity.

However, for some reason or another, I have a very difficult time logging onto the those forums. It normally takes forever, and I just give up.

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
24 posted 2004-03-03 10:01 PM

I read all the books years ago, and saw all the movies....more than once. LOL, yes, am a Tolkien fan. My daughter has also read and seen the trilogy multiple times, as have most of her friends.
The acting was superb, the casting was far and away the best overall ensemble I've seen. The sets were perfect, and brought Tolkien to life in 3D.
I didn't watch the awards show, but think any awards for acting would have to be given to the group as a whole.
The trilogy rocks. It is the first book/movie combo that does both entertainment forms justice.

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

25 posted 2004-03-04 12:49 PM

And can I be honest here about the awards? It was so damn nice to see REAL people up on that stage...away from the shmooze, and the image, and the Hollywoodity...

I LOVE Peter Jackson's dress-unsense. I think it's great...go the lack of shoes and the untidy hair. What modesty. I LOVE how he waited until his wife had received her Oscar before he made his final speech for Best Film.

Yes, real people who worked so hard for years on these films (not just NZers either).

I feel like it may have been a turning point for, if not the industry, then at least for the perception of what is eligible for recognition within that industry.

K

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » yay...beam...bounce...

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary