navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Finally a reason to french kiss a lizard!
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Finally a reason to french kiss a lizard! Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley

0 posted 2003-08-26 01:31 AM

Exenatide, an experimental diabetes drug derived from lizard saliva, not only controls patients' blood sugar levels but also cuts their weight, its developers said on Monday.

Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc and Eli Lilly and Co released new study findings on the efficacy of exenatide at the 18th Congress of the International Diabetes Federation in Paris.

The drug, derived from the saliva of a lizard known as the Gila monster, is the first in a new class of therapies for type 2, or adult-onset, diabetes and is on track to be submitted for approval by regulators in 2004. Analysts forecast annual sales could top $500 million after three years.

The Gila monster lizard lives in the Arizona desert, only eating about four times a year. Its salivary secretions help prevent a sudden surge in blood sugar levels in response to these infrequent but large meals.

The latest exenatide test involved 155 patients who had failed to reach target glucose levels on established diabetes drugs metformin and sulfonylurea, or a combination of the two.

When researchers added injections of exenatide, 44 percent of patients who completed 24 weeks of treatment achieved glucose level averages within the target range, the companies said.

Patients also lost on average 7.5 pounds.

Amylin CEO, Dan Bradbury, told Reuters that being able to control the blood sugar levels of so many patients who had previously failed therapy was a "pretty exciting result."

The most frequently reported side effect in the study was mild to moderate nausea, which decreased with continued treatment.

© Copyright 2003 Poet deVine - All Rights Reserved
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

1 posted 2003-08-26 01:35 AM

OH.

smile?

The tongue wasn't enough?

*wince*

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
2 posted 2003-08-26 01:42 AM

Karen- Shame on you!!!! lol

Actually,I had heard this, and I am hoping that it is factual, and that it gets the approval of the beauracrats.. There is a heavy dose of diabetes on BOTH sides of my daughter's families (mine and my wife's) so she is in serious trouble when she gets older. Maybe this is the first step to her cure.

We are all equal but we’re individually different
and able to reach the impossible if we try.

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
3 posted 2003-08-26 01:53 AM

quote:
The most frequently reported side effect in the study was mild to moderate nausea, which decreased with continued treatment.

So, how many times do you have to kiss a venomous lizard before it stops making you sick?

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
4 posted 2003-08-26 05:03 AM

Ron, I'll let you know! LOL
Nicole
since 1999-06-23
Posts 1835
Florida
5 posted 2003-08-26 08:22 AM

My oldest daughter Taylor, who's nine, is a Type 1 Diabetic.  She was diagnosed one month before she turned 3 (I believe I even posted a prose piece on it oh so many moons ago) - and I thought I had heard it all!  *chuckle*  

All the reading and research and hopes for new cures that I've gone through over the last few years, this beats them all.

She's becoming quite particular now though (some things are just SO not cool anymore Mom, duh), don't know if I could get her to kiss a lizard?  lol  

Opeth
since 2001-12-13
Posts 1543
The Ravines
6 posted 2003-08-26 02:55 PM

No wonder why my dog never gets fat, even though he sleeps around all day...it is because he has been eating lizards out in the back yard...the dang dog is hooked on them critters.
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
7 posted 2003-08-26 08:00 PM

I'm going out and getting four pet lizards - One for Stacie, one for Sandra, one for Jake, and one for Garrett... Cassandra can just feed them...
Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
8 posted 2003-08-27 04:08 PM

This doesn't include lounge lizards does it?
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
9 posted 2003-08-27 05:58 PM

I think lounge lizards are a cure for something else...like kissing lounge lizards!
Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
10 posted 2003-09-01 06:24 PM

(smiles) Well then...Bally Total Fitness has a new mascot in the making! Hey, that Geiko Lizard is on a roll to make a fortune! Before you know it, he'll make the Forbes list!

Now...what is in it for our lizards? Surely they deserve so much more than us!

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

I don't need no proof when it comes to God and truth
I can see the sun set and I perceive

***Live***

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Finally a reason to french kiss a lizard!

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary